photo the_inter.png

<% NEWS %>
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

» Forced Vacation
Tarkya
 Posted: Jun 11 2016, 11:19 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 8

It was strange, how easily Sarah had fallen into a rhythm in Traverse Town. At some point the Victorian styling and the eternal night had become normal, as had watching the shop, and a lot of other "side projects" that she'd somehow started on to fill the time between work days. The place almost felt like home sometimes.

She hadn't really planned on taking a day off, but between Cuppa pointing out that she'd nearly put salt into the lemonade rather than sugar, and Dorumon's not-too-subtle threat that he'd "do something" to the stack of building paperwork in her office, she'd gotten the hint. She really didn't want to have to tell someone that a dog had eaten her homework.

So, lacking anything else to do, she did something she'd done many times in the real world. She sat out on the Crossroads porch and browsed the internet. Or, well, the "inter-net", because puns were something no one could escape. It was really more of an archive than an actual link to the world wide web, but there was more than enough content to sift through on a slow day. Night. Whatever she called the time she was awake anymore...

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Pink
 Posted: Jun 12 2016, 12:09 AM
Survivor

N/A

Group: Members
Member No.: 82

Tabby was terrified. She'd never snuck out before, but, for some reason, she didn't want to sleep tonight. The memory of what she'd created, what that might mean for her, was all to real, too loud in her mind.

She just needed to get away, to get some air; to think. Her platform boots clacked against the stone streets as she headed... nowhere?

The streets were mostly abandoned, which suited her fine. In her dark, form-fitting garb, with her dark lips contrasting her pale skin, and her attractive figure, it wouldn't be surprising if someone mistook her for a thug, or a street walker. Luckily, it was a safe place, ensured by people she had no knowledge of.

She turned a corner and there was the first disturbance in her solitude. A woman sitting at a table, looking at a glowing screen. Tabby would tell it wasn't magic, but knew next to nothing about things that weren't.

She thought about turning around and taking another street, but she felt something (morbid curiosity perhaps?) alluring about the woman, and her strange apparatus. Tabby approached, taking a deep breath as she did so, steeling herself, reminding herself of her power, walked as close as she felt comfortable doing to the woman, several feet away, and then spoke, more timidly than she intended, "Hello... um... I'm Tabula Rasa."

She blushed bloody scarlet, and the embarrassment would have killed her if such a thing were possible. She was anxious, not aware she was holding her breath as she awaited a reply, imagining all the worst case scenarios as she stood there.
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jun 12 2016, 12:26 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

As absorbed into the phone as she was, Sarah didn't hear the sound of Tabby's footsteps, or her inhale of breath. Or rather, she didn't really register it as being odd in the otherwise quiet streets.

So when she introduced herself, she rather visibly startled, jerking her attention to the source of the voice with an expression of alarm. It took a moment for her brain to catch up with instinct and finish processing just what she'd heard, and she let out a breath. Calm down, you, it's just a person, she thought to herself. A person she didn't know, but... well, this was a place where that happened a lot. She let her mind go on the conversational autopilot she'd learn as a shopkeeper.

"Oh, hello." Tabula Rasa? An... unusual name, but then again, this world was a place where that could be normal somewhere. "I'm Sarah. Are you new to town?"

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Pink
 Posted: Jun 12 2016, 12:36 AM
Survivor

N/A

Tabula gave a sheepish smile, shrugging, "Sort of. I mean, I haven't been here very long, but I guess I've caused a lot of trouble. Master Nate wanted me to help with the building of the park, and I was doing as he told me to, but I got carried away and passed out, and it turns out..." she stopped herself. Why was she just running her mouth about these things to a total stranger?

Tabby sighed, "Any way, people call me Tabby. I have no idea why I'm talking to you, actually. I just..." she looked on the verge of tears, "My mothers love me, and Nate wants me to do great things, but things are always easier, harder, and way more complicated than they should be. I had no idea I could animate a being like that, much less that it would try to kill me. I nearly got a lot of people killed, and would have died if it weren't for them."

"I haven't been punished. I've got all this guilt, yet no one has done anything to make me feel like I did anything wrong. I was doing what I was told. Why do I feel so guilty?"

Tears rolled down her face as she spoke. The young teen was a whirlwind of emotions and questions now, without the experience nor development to control herself. She realized that she was probably making the stranger, Sarah, uncomfortable, that what she was doing was "wrong", but it all just came pouring out.

"Good job, Tabby." She thought bitterly to herself.
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jun 12 2016, 01:19 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Sarah blinked. That was... a lot of information to take in, bu she was able to catch enough of a gist to give a more immediate response. She clicked her phone off and set it on the table before motioning to the opposing chair. "Wanna sit down? Maybe have a drink? It... sounds like you've got a lot to get off your chest."

She'd heard more than enough about the incident in the newly formed Park District. It had, after all, happened in her literal backyard - the backyard she hadn't even had before today. She'd spent most of the day dealing with complaints and getting the places that needed fixing up recorded so Nate could repair the damage. It was a reminder of the fact that just telling Nate to "go for it" without asking exactly how he was going to go for it was a mistake, and one she wouldn't avoid again.

But she'd assumed that the titan was Nate's doing, not the doing of what appeared to be a teenage girl. It was one thing to be angry and frustrated at Nate, but somehow, she couldn't bring herself to hold anything against this Tabby. Especially if she was just doing what Nate was telling her...

"So... the big golem was you? I was wondering about where that had come from." She scratched the side of her neck, thinking. How did she even approach this? "You wanna talk about what happened? Most of what I've heard is secondhand."

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Pink
 Posted: Jun 12 2016, 01:34 AM
Survivor

N/A

Tabby nodded weakly, sitting down. She was too choked up to drink anything, so instead chose to calm herself until she could answer Sarah's questions, "Yeah. Nate challenged me to find as many ways as possible to destroy the demolition area. I just wanted to see what I could do.

It came to life. That shouldn't be possible. I... I fear I'm not finished. I thought I was. I feel like I am. However, I wouldn't be creating and manipulating life like my previous form if I were. Something inside me still isn't finished. My magic...

All I know is some people hate themselves so much they give everything they are, including their soul, to the deity that creates us, and we're created in return. We're beings without form, and our purpose is to create new life. We assimilate the attributes of our surroundings until we're complete, whole beings.

However, it's the only way I can explain how I was able to create such a thing. I black out, and the next thing I know my mothers and Nate are there, fighting for our lives against the colossal being I created. I don't know if it was his rats or my magic that destroyed the being, but afterwards we went home, Nate got me ice cream, congratulated me on my creativity, and my moms kept me company.

I could almost feel all the things they didn't say."

The words were sobering, and the weight on her mind was lifting. Fatigue was setting in. She'd groan and grumble, "Now I wish it wasn't so far away." She'd yawn, "I'm getting tired."

She'd realize what she's doing and turn to Sarah, "Sorry, must seem silly of me, being like this, and then just blowing you off. I mean, um... uh... how's your day?"

She looked legitimately embarrassed as she attempted to rectify her faux pas.
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jun 13 2016, 06:52 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Sarah exhaled through her nose, running her hand from her neck down her face. Damn it, Nate, she thought, though she knew that she couldn't really blame him for everything that had happened here. Low self-esteem alone was a terrible beast to fight. It seemed like Tabby had way more on her plate than just that, but feeling like an incomplete person? That... hit a little close to home.

"It's fine. Sometimes you just need an open ear to sort out your feelings, y'know?" She set her hands back on the table, twitching towards the phone for a moment before she stopped herself. Instead she seized the offered change of subject like a lifeline, hoping that it was a sign of the conversation returning to familiar territory.

"As for my day? Well... busy, I guess." Sarah sighed, glancing back at the open window of the coffee shop. Cuppa was still in there, drying off dishware. For a moment he turned his lens towards her, and she quickly turned back to Tabby. "Should still be busy, but I've been told to take a break, or else." She snorted in a way that suggested amusement rather than scorn. "Betrayed by my own roommates."

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Pink
 Posted: Jun 13 2016, 07:05 PM
Survivor

N/A

Tabby's brow furrowed, as if the notion warranted thought. "Betrayed, huh? No, so far everyone I've known has loved me and treated me kindly. They all try to do what is best for me. I just...

I'm complicated." She settled on.

She'd yawn again, as the walk continued to take its toll on her young body, but she'd squint in determination as she forced herself not to allow herself to fall asleep.

"Sometimes, I just want to fly away, somewhere no one can find me, and then destroy everything I see there until I no longer feel like doing so.

You'd think that the demolition result would make me want to do the exact opposite, but I'm just so frustrated, so mad, about what happened, that I just want to turn the world to ash around me, rather than have to face my faults.

It's childish. Even though I'm but a few weeks old at most, somehow I understand that."

She laughed at that, "One would think you'd know how old you are, but time is so funny at Manamart that it's hard to know exactly how long things take. Especially in that bed he has me sleep in. You sleep in it more than an hour, and you feel like you slept all day."
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jun 13 2016, 09:47 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

"Well, I don't mean literal betrayal, they're looking out for me too, but... well, it sounds like you already know what it's like to have a bunch of expectations on your shoulders." Sarah scratched the side of her neck again, and then paused. Had she just said she was a few weeks old? What sort of wizard nonsense was he getting into now? Here she thought she was talking to some confused teenager from her world, not... this.

Sarah felt rather horribly out of her league, but she'd gone this far. She just had to... keep going the same way, right? Tabby was still a person, no matter where she'd come from.

"Someone stop the world, I want to get off," Sarah said, and leaned back in her chair. "I know that feeling... a bit like that every day, in this town. I can't imagine how it must be living with Nate."

There was a soft clink as Cuppa set down a pair of glasses full of cool water. Sarah blinked down at them, and up at the robot. "...thanks," she muttered, and took a glass for herself, taking a few sips to calm her nerves. "Does he know how you feel about yesterday?"

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Pink
 Posted: Jun 14 2016, 05:20 PM
Survivor

N/A

Tabby listened. The conversation stimulated the mind, and she was beginning to experience her "second wind". She'd think about what was being said, and finally...

was startled by the robot. She had the good sense not to start throwing magic, but she did jump in her seat. Her heart pounding, she'd glare at it at first, blaming it for her own lack of perception in her mind.

She's exhale loudly before replying, "I don't know. He's always worried about me as an apprentice. Mama Meg' likes it when I'm tough, and Mama Ama' does her best to look out for me. I'm not very old, and I don't know a whole lot. Nate makes me fly around, but I mostly spend my time in the clouds where no one can see me.

I don't know why I do that. I know what he wants me to do, but I just get so frustrated. Ever since I chose to become a sorceress, I feel like everything has been decided for me. I know I could leave, but where would I go? What would I do? I wandered around town tonight because I didn't have any answers, but living as I am now wasn't making me happy."

She stopped, for the first time knowing the truth of her words. She'd look down, as if ashamed of the truth. The words would linger in the air for a moment, and her eyes would water at the way they tormented her, but she'd sniffle as subtly as possible and press on in her words.

"I love them. I really do. I don't know what's wrong with me, or why I feel this way. Sometimes I just want to tell them all to go away, or to try and blow them up so they'll just stop. I don't want to hurt them. I just want them gone. I want to be alone, but I don't at the same time. It's really confusing. I just," she'd pause for a moment, trying to figure out the best words to finish her thoughts with to no avail, "need space?"
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jun 15 2016, 05:40 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

"Space sounds like a good start," Sarah replied, a frown on her face as she took another drink of water. It always sucked, to be around a person under stress and not know what they really needed. Comfort? Advice? Just an open ear?

Things did not get any less complicated in this universe, it seemed. People were people no matter where you went.

"There's nothing wrong with wanting space," She finally said, setting the glass down. "Some people need time alone to recharge, and it sounds like that's what you're after right now." The urge to grab her phone struck her again, and she suppressed it with a hard blink. Ugh, speaking of recharging...

Sarah slid her finger through a ring of condensation on the table. "Maybe what you really need is to take a vacation?"

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Pink
 Posted: Jun 15 2016, 06:46 PM
Survivor

N/A

Tabby froze at that final suggestion. It was a brilliant idea, but there was just one problem...

"There's just one problem," the look of defeat already upon her face and in her voice, "I'd have to let Nate and my moms know, and they'd insist to come along, and Nate would want me to train, and Mama Ama would baby me, and Mama Meg would want me to act tough, and it wouldn't solve anything."

She exhaled, throwing her head back and staring at the ceiling, thoroughly exasperated, "I mean, it's a wonderful idea. I can't tell you how amazing that sounds. I just... can't."
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jun 15 2016, 07:14 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

"...hm."

Mentally, Sarah had just hit a crossroads.

She didn't know Tabby all that well. She barely knew Nate outside of a professional context. Frankly, all of this was none of her business. She had no responsibility to do anything here.

And I didn't have to start running Crossroads either. Or help people around the town.

The water was spread too thinly for Sarah to continue her vague sketch on the wooden tabletop. She picked up her glass, draining it dry, and then set it aside. She didn't have to say anything here, and she knew that. And yet....

"...I can't make any promises, but... I'm planning on making an off-world trip soon. Nothing big, just getting some sunlight." She looked up at Tabby, a person who clearly needed something she couldn't get from more immediate family, and made her choice. "You'd have to talk to Nate and your moms, but if you wanted and they were okay with it, I wouldn't mind if you came along."

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Pink
 Posted: Jun 15 2016, 08:25 PM
Survivor

N/A

Tabby's eyes lit up. "Ohmygosh! Really!?!" Her voice was a shrill shriek of excitement. She looked taken aback by it. As if she'd never made such a sound in her life.

However, that didn't contain the giddy bubbling of excitement from within her, and she threw her arms around Sarah without warning, hugging her as she swayed back and forth, "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! Ohmygosh!" She'd release her hold on her, "I..." tears began to fall down her cheeks, "Thank you! I..."

She fumbled about, trying to get in her pocket, as the waves of emotions made all things more difficult. With far greater difficulty than it should have took, she pulled out a cell phone, and feebly attempted to hand it to Sarah.

"I don't know how to use it. I lied, and told Nate I did, but I didn't understand anything he was saying. I just told him I did so he'd be happy. I need to call him! I don't know how though. I know this is asking for a lot, especially after this, but could you help me call him?"

Her guilt, excitement, and the waves of other emotions running through her left her trembling. She could barely hold the phone through her slender fingers, as she could not hold back her excitement, nor her tears of joy.
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jun 15 2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

"Yeah, it's no pro-ah."

Sarah's train of thought was abruptly halted by the sudden hug, replaced by a burning desire to break away, possibly with force. Luckily, Tabby broke away before Sarah was able cause any potential harm, leaving her heart pounding in the aftermath of a small adrenaline rush.

It took a moment for her brain to catch up with the rest of her as Tabby offered her phone. Once it did, she nodded. "It's fine. It's not great to lie about something like this, though." She moved to Tabby's side so that she could see the screen as she powered it on. "Looks a bit like an iPhone... okay, so you have to put your finger here and slide it to the right to progress past this screen..."

She continued talking out loud as she clicked her way to the contacts. Luckily, it looked like Nate had already put in a contact for himself. "Okay, and if you click this, it'll start to ring him, and if he has his phone on him, he'll probably pick it up..."

The phone began to beep as it tried to connect. Sarah clicked the button to put it on speaker, and set it on the table. "I've got it set so that it'll pick up both our voices, and we'll both be able to hear him. Normally you'd hold it up to your ear," and she picked up her own phone and demonstrated, "like this..."

The phone rang once... twice...

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Aragonius
 Posted: Jun 16 2016, 05:25 AM
Veteran

N/A

Member No.: 50

"Hey Tabby, you ok?" Nate said, answering the phone as soon as he checked it and saw her name popping up on his screen. Given that the wizard also used his device as a digital spell book he always had it within quick and easy reach. "Now there's nothing wrong with heading out if you need some fresh air but Ama's been worried. I'm glad you checked in but next time please just give us a heads up beforehand ok?" He finally paused giving her some time to respond. Meanwhile he reassuringly nodded over to a mildly distraught angel who'd just floated into the room.

Seeing him on the phone along with his gesture quickly clarified to Ama that Tabby was on the other end. Her shoulders sagged in visible relief. Meg had also popped in just in time to catch some if the exchange. The devil then proceeded to give her angelic counterpart a light teasing elbow jab. "Heh told you the kid would be fine ya worrywort. She's a big girl for age."

--------------------
Characters
(Robot "Wizard") | (Aspiring Archmage) | (Reluctant Mad Artificer)
(Incubus Inventor)

PM Email
^
Pink
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 09:05 PM
Survivor

N/A

"Um..." she'd start, not quite sure how to proceed, "I don't know if you know, but you're on something called a speaker phone, and this lady, Sarah is her name and she seems to know you, is listening. We've been talking and uh..."

She took a noisy breath and sigh as she built up her courage and resolve. She'd never done this before, and had no idea what would happen. Nevertheless, Miss Sarah had been so nice, and to turn back now would be the epitome of cowardice.

"She's planning to go on an off-world trip, and has invited me to go with her. I'd like to go. I really, really would." Her thoughts began to pour out like a torrent, "Just me though. Not you, and not my mamas. I love them very, very much, and you are very dear to me, my teacher, but I haven't known a day without you since I came here. I don't know why but it's as if every fiber inside of me is screaming to get away. When you tell me to go out and explore, I just hide in the clouds. I lied when I told you I understood your explanation on how to use a phone. I'm constantly finding ways to disobey you, or lie to you, and when I'm not doing that I'm destroying everything! I..." she'd said too much, "I need to get away for a while. Not forever. I just need some... space?"

She'd take a big gulp of air, pulling her knees to her chest and hugging her legs for comfort. Now that it was all out in the open, all she could feel is the gnawing beast called anxiety eating at her core as she awaited what come next.
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 18 2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Sarah was quiet as Tabby had her chance to let everything out. All of this had been confusing and stressful, probably even more so for the girl across from her. But... it was better to get that out now, while she was still able to.

Ah, hindsight. It had it's benefits after all...

"It'd only be going as far as Radiant Garden. No longer than a week," she said, somewhat awkwardly giving Tabby a pat on the shoulder. "I'll have Doru, and if you want I can check in with you through... well, we can figure that out in person."

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Aragonius
 Posted: Jul 23 2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran

N/A

Member No.: 50

"Ah..." Nate remarked taken a back for a moment by what Tabby had just said. "Well if you need space then fine. Heh the exploration assignments were intended to give you space after all, although that apparently hasn't worked out. Sarah's basically the most responsible adult in this town so yeah there's no problem with you going on a trip with her.

Privately the wizard then projected a message into Sarah's mind via sending. <Keep her safe. We can comunicate via sendings. Her phone is enchanted for cross diminsional comunication. I'll enhance yours too.>

"Just try to be mindful of Sarah's instructions then ok Tabbs? "

--------------------
Characters
(Robot "Wizard") | (Aspiring Archmage) | (Reluctant Mad Artificer)
(Incubus Inventor)

PM Email
^
Pink
 Posted: Jul 24 2016, 08:00 PM
Survivor

N/A

Tabby was relieved at how well he seemed to take it. She wasn't mad at him. If anything, she was mad at herself. She didn't know why she was doing the things she was doing, or why she felt like this, but she had to go.

She just wished she knew why.

"Yes, master. I know it may be hard to trust me, considering everything, but I am trying to do the right thing. It's just... hard. It feels like I'm doing something wrong, but this... feels right."

She'd look at Sarah's hand, that had just patted her on the shoulder, and followed its length up to her eyes. When they met, she'd give a smile filled with appreciation and affection.

She wanted to tell her, to show her, to make her understand how much this meant, but the wave of emotions brought back her previous fatigue, and she yawned instead.

She remembered she was still on the phone. She'd been silent for what could be considered several *moments* now.

"Oh! Uh... so anyways... yeah. That's what I called about. I'll talk to you later, master. Good night?"

She wasn't sure how to end the call.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D || Teen Titans GO~ || The Games

Disclaimer: using the Split Lock skin by DoubleXXCross will not give you a suit of armour.
But even if it did, you can still very much get shot in the face.