photo the_inter.png

<% NEWS %>
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

» Fortress Whale
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Sep 4 2016, 05:02 PM
Experienced

N/A

Group: Resident Artist
Member No.: 2

Over the top of Brent's explanation, Yugi was trying to breathe normally.

Obviously, as a projection, he didn't need to do it - he was for all intents and purposes a ghost - but it was force of habit, and it was hardly as if the condition necessarily stopped him from doing so. There wasn't really any air, but there was the illusion of it passing down his throat.

Maybe it was due to still being technically alive, although the way the Pharaoh breathed was calm, and the two were out of sync.

The Pharaoh, meanwhile, gazed upon the screen with a certain amount of curiosity. For a start, the Mutos still did all their paperwork by hand, so to see a personal computer at all was a bit of an experience for him; and on top of that, even the Duel Disk received recently looked like a child's toy next to the sleek design of the laptop.

And, then, of course, there was the matter of what was on the screen - image files of three cards whose images felt strangely nostalgic to the Pharaoh, as if he'd seen those creatures before.

No, not just nostalgic…

"These cards… they were depicted on the stone tablet shown to me by Ishizu."

That tablet she'd shown him to tell him his identity, apart from the main attraction depicting himself and a stranger vaguely resembling Kaiba, had below the winged scarab at the top a trio of boxed images - a bird, a dragon, and a demon.

"So they're definitely related to my past…" One point to Brent. "You say gathering them was Kaiba's mission? Does he know about the relevance of these cards?"

--------------------
Cat - the girl who leapt through meta / Sonic - the hedgehog chasing ghosts
Yugi - the boy who tempers darkness / Journals - the words remembered most
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Sep 4 2016, 05:50 PM
Survivor

N/A

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

Pierce, again, had to think back for a moment - the Pharaoh was asking for details to things he hadn't seen in years.

"Exactly how they're related to you? No. Ishizu didn't tell him that much. Hell, he doesn't really believe in all this crazy, magical stuff surrounding the Millennium Items anyway. 'Occult nonsense', I think his exact words were. No, his interest in the cards is merely as an excuse to put this tournament together, get more powerful cards, get another shot at beating you, and earn the title of Duelist King. You know how he is with games. Kaiba has, however, seen the tablet you just spoke of - Ishizu showed it to him when she asked him to gather those three cards."

--------------------
PM
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Sep 5 2016, 09:29 AM
Experienced

N/A

"...Hm." The tiniest smirk appeared on Yugi's face. "That is like him. He's too proud to admit there are things he doesn't understand."

Then the smirk faded.

Yugi had faith (or at least was trying to have faith). Him, not so much. He could only hope from their survival that the others were okay.

He would, at least, place his bets on Kaiba. He would've almost certainly escaped via stubbornness, if not anything else.

"Speaking of the things one doesn't understand..." The Pharaoh looked upon the spot next to the broken-down ship where Brent had first appeared. "How did you get here, exactly? You seemed to teleport in, but I didn't see any green circles."

--------------------
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Sep 5 2016, 08:22 PM
Survivor

N/A

At this, Pierce smiled. "Oh, that? That was me Planeswalking. It allows me to jump from universe to universe at will, though I haven't exactly gotten everything down about controlling it fully just yet."

Seeing that clearly this chess game wasn't going to happen, Pierce quickly packed up the chess pieces back into the box they came out of and spread out his Magic cards in their place. Every last one of the cards was now encased in a red sleeve, as opposed to being completely naked as they were when Pierce first arrived in these worlds.

"It's based out of the lore of this card game, the one I mentioned to you earlier - Magic: The Gathering. Planeswalkers can basically travel from universe to universe at will. This ability is incredibly rare to have, and just as rare to awaken, even among those few who have it. I've used it to travel to universes you can't get to by Gummi Ship and pick up a few tricks."

The M:TG deck in question was a red-blue deck based around casting many Instant and Sorcery cards and triggering abilities off of them. One common effect in the several Creature cards the deck contained was Prowess - every time a non-creature spell was played, Creatures on the field with Prowess increased their power and toughness until the end of the turn. The Instants and Sorceries themselves either put cards back in the caster's hands or dealt damage to the opponent. Mountain and Island Basic Land cards completed the deck, providing the mage that used them with a power source with which to cast the other spells.

It was also noteworthy that the artwork the cards contained looked predominately like something straight out of Gothic horror. Thank you for that piece of pleasantry, Innistrad.

"I use a red and blue deck, mostly because that's all I'm able to use with my powers right now - no idea why - but there are three other colors of mana in the game: white, black, and green. I'd go into more detail, but I've already done my mile-long infodump speech for today with the Egyptian God cards - if I do a second one, you're gonna get sick of me really fast."

--------------------
PM
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Sep 8 2016, 06:20 AM
Experienced

N/A

The Pharaoh regarded the cards with a slightly-raised eyebrow. They were certainly other trading cards, and in a way deeply resembled the cards of his own deck, but on the other hand…

The card colours didn't indicate card type, but element? Lore and effect could occupy the same card? And land cards - the idea sounded like a Field Spell, but they bore no effect notation, just the symbols found on the tops of the other cards. Equipment, or a cost?

The art, too… Plenty of Duel Monsters cards had a disturbing approach to their art, but for the most part they were anime-style warriors and creatures. Bright colours and clean lines. This was

…Hm…

Yugi was now hanging over his own shoulder, eyes still blurry, and a tiny, pained smile on his face. The rant had apparently been just the break he needed.

What is it, Yugi?

I was just… thinking how much Bakura'd love these.

The Pharaoh paused.

Yugi continued. Remember? He has an Occult-type deck, and he loves creepy fantasy things…

…Then, I suppose we'd better find some of our own, so we can take them to him.

Yeah?

Mmm. The Pharaoh looked up at Brent. "Do you know of somewhere where I might be able to obtain some of these cards?" he asked.

--------------------
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Sep 9 2016, 03:42 AM
Survivor

N/A

Pierce opened his mouth, intending to respond... and then silently held that position for a solid two seconds, before visibly deflating.

"Not a clue, unfortunately. If we were back in my universe, I'd tell you that you could pick up some starter decks and booster packs from your local game shop or supermarket, but as it stands, I don't think any of the local worlds actually sell these. Hell, I'm not even sure where most of these cards came from - one day in my travels, I just inexplicably found them in the collection I'm carrying around, and decided I'd try to gather more clues about it if I ever ran into another Planeswalker, rather than busting my brain over something I don't have nearly enough information to figure out yet."

This all made it sound like Pierce had a passing familiarity with all of the cards he had ever collected, but that wasn't necessarily true. What he had actually done was cross-reference the cards' set emblems, located below the artwork but above the effect text and on the right side, and found that they weren't in any set he had purchased packs for before. Still, if he had to guess, Pierce would say that these card sets were a revisit of a previous world, simply due to the Gothic horror theme - while he didn't have many cards from the block's sets, he did know that Innistrad was greatly lauded in the player community as one of the best sets in Magic's recent history for its quality of both flavor and story.

Still confused as to where the hell the cards came from, though.

(OOC: I'm setting it up like this to establish where exactly Pierce's cutoff is in terms of foreknowledge in M:TG lore, while still letting him use cards from later sets. The latest set he had gotten cards for upon Interfering was from Dragons of Tarkir, while most of the cards in his current deck are from Shadows Over Innistrad and Eldritch Moon (which are 4 or 5 sets later).)

--------------------
PM
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Sep 9 2016, 10:03 AM
Experienced

N/A

A sigh, though from which one it wasn't quite obvious.

At the very least, there might be a chance of their randomly coming across one; though, new unknown cards simply showing up in one's deck ready to be played? It didn't really make much sense.

"In any case..." The Pharaoh glanced over at the ship and its battered nose, then back at Brent. His gaze was no longer so judging as it had been. "Is it possible you could help us? Our ship became damaged when the whale swallowed us. If we can't fix it, we could at least escape using your Planeswalking ability."

--------------------
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Sep 14 2016, 03:29 AM
Survivor

N/A

Pierce's face turned thoughtful at this. "My Planeswalking? ...No, that won't work. That only works on me. And I'm no Gummi Ship mechanic. But... I think I have another solution. It'll just take me some time to set up."

Pierce gathered up his cards, shuffled them up, and put them into the deck holder on his left leather bracer. He then drew seven cards from it, starting a one-man game. Hopefully this worked. He needed five mana and a specific card...

Well, the good news was, Pierce had the spell he needed: Teleportal. If he paid the Overload cost on this card (one red, one blue, and three generic mana), he could teleport all of them out of there to the location of his choice. The bad news was, he only had a single Land card in his hand - not even enough mana to cast the card-drawing spells he had. He cast the Island, which turned into a blue light within one of the crystals on his right-hand bracer. After this small demonstration, he encased his hand of cards in a small leather slot on his left bracer and got up from his seat - he would need to wait a few moments before things reset back to the start of a new turn.

"In any case, if you intend to keep the ship, we'd better be on it when I set this off. Let's get moving." Pierce started leading the way back to the Gummi Ship, only stopping in his tracks occasionally to go through a turn and see if he could get more mana available.

Another turn. Draw. Mountain! Play, then tap both Lands for Take Inventory to draw another card, and... Izzet Guildgate. Well, it would provide him mana, but it had to be cast tapped, so it needed to be on the field for a turn before it could be of any use. Unfortunately that would have to come next turn - he only got one free Land cast per turn.

--------------------
PM
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Sep 14 2016, 04:44 PM
Experienced

N/A

The show of magic was quite impressive, as well as intriguing. Sure, Duel Monsters interacted with Shadow Magic quite well and in that context it was quite possible to use the cards to do strange things; but it wasn't quite that close. Shadow Magic was primed specifically for combat and could only be applied between opponents; even if the magic wasn't, the game itself was.

Of course, they had channeled Shadow Magic through the cards before; the Pharaoh had done so a long time ago, as well as been the victim of it. But only ever in the context of an actual game; the closest to anything Brent was doing was the Penalty Game, which technically took place outside of the duel - but that itself was only an extension of it.

He could try it - playing the cards outside of a duel, trying to channel magic through them - and if it worked, it might give them an advantage against non-Heartless enemies, but he was fairly sure it wouldn't. Mind Crush was already stretching it.

--------------------
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Sep 15 2016, 03:20 AM
Survivor

N/A

Pierce only got a few steps away before he realized he had forgotten his stuff.

"Oh! Wait a sec..." He rushed back, quickly packed everything else he had been using back into his backpack, including the laptop and the chessboard, and put said backpack back on.

"Alright, now we can go." And he started working his way back to the Gummi Ship again.

Turn start. Untap and draw. Geistblast. Not useful unless he needed something dead. Play the Guildgate and keep moving. Just two more Lands...

"So, I'm kinda curious. I noticed you're carrying around a big hammer that is probably more effective than it looks. Have you tried using the Shadow magic with your Duel Monster cards? I'd be kinda surprised if that wasn't an effective self-defense measure out here - I've already seen crazier happen."

More than that, Pierce was curious as to how much the Pharaoh knew about his own powers and the full extent of them. It was possible that the two had never tried it, or that they had and it was ineffective because of some weird technicality. Trading card games of all kinds were prone to unusual interactions and rulings, even when they weren't being applied to the real world - Pierce himself could testify to that. Hell, it was one of those weird technicalities in the translation from TCG to real world that was going to get them out of Monstro. If Yugi and the Pharaoh could make themselves more powerful with that knowledge, Pierce saw no reason not to hand it to them on a silver platter.

Turn start. Untap and draw. No luck. Pass the turn...

--------------------
PM
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Sep 15 2016, 12:11 PM
Experienced

N/A

"We were just considering that, actually.

"…To be honest… when we… left," the Pharaoh turned Yugi's head away, to look at its uncomfortable owner, "I didn't know what to expect. The future we knew was a man with a Millennium Item, and a great battle - one that would involve Duel Monsters. I didn't realise that-…"

He hesitated. Yugi, floating idly by, blinked down at him.

The Pharaoh swallowed, and crossed his arms. "The magic is for the purpose of the Shadow Games, and the Shadow Games are for enemies with selves to be judged. Heartless are no such creatures.

"Besides… even if I could channel the magic into cards, Yugi can't do the same. And if Yugi and I were ever to be separated…"

--------------------
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Sep 16 2016, 04:07 AM
Survivor

N/A

"Which is why I'm not saying the hammer is a bad idea. In all honesty, I should probably be carrying around a physical weapon as well - you take my magic away from me now, and I'm pretty much defenseless. But that's not to say the Shadow Games are necessarily useless against the Heartless."

Pierce was loathe to mention it, especially since he had spoiled a lot already, but one of the facts about the Pharaoh's lost past that had Pierce convinced this could work, one of the few that Pierce still remembered, was that summoning monsters had once been a very real thing for the ancient Egyptians of Yugi's world. Pierce didn't know how much it had to do with the Shadow Games themselves, but he did know the difficulties of making his own cards work, and how much a card's flavoring could screw with its function in certain situations.

Turn start. Draw. Still no luck. Only seven cards can be maintained at the end of a turn. Discard Geistblast and pass the turn...

"In my experience, if a card is meant to destroy something, the thing it targets has to be a thing that exists to be destroyed. If you cast something like, say, Thoughtseize or Mind Sculpt, to use cards from Magic as an example, the spell wouldn't have any effect on the Heartless because there's no mind to sculpt and no thoughts to seize - they barely have anything that could be called instinct, as I understand it. But hit them with a spell that deals its damage through fire or lightning, or just banish them from the field, and that's a different story.

"And of course, there's a lot you can accomplish in a battle with a summoned monster or two."

--------------------
PM
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Sep 16 2016, 09:08 AM
Experienced

N/A

It's worth a try... Yugi said, finger to chin. You said before that the Heartless feel like things out of a Shadow Game, so maybe we need to treat them as things out of a Shadow Game.

Not as opponents, the Pharaoh muttered. But as pawns.

My hammer has stats like an RPG, and Brent did say this world came from a video game. Yugi floated down. So, I don't think it's weird to pretend like the entire thing is a Shadow Game, and that the Heartless are like random encounters. Or, like the Battle Phase in a turn of Duel Monsters, he added.

And the rules of the game are clearly flexible enough that Brent's cards can be employed as a weapon... The Pharaoh hummed audibly. Interesting...

--------------------
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Sep 18 2016, 05:25 PM
Survivor

N/A

Pierce took the Pharaoh’s silence to mean that Yugi was having his say in the conversation, and continued leading the way to the two’s ship.

Turn start. Draw. Take Inventory! Tap the Mountain and Island to cast, draw two cards this time. Mountain! Cast it. Discard one of the Ingenious Skaabs and pass. Just one more...

They finally reached the Gummi ship, and Pierce could see that this thing was indeed in need of repairs. If he had to guess, Pierce would say this thing rammed straight into the tongue. But that was irrelevant at the moment. He climbed inside and found a place to strap down his bag.

Turn start. Untap and draw. Nothing. Discard Galvanic Bombardment and pass…

“Alright, make sure everything is securely attached to the ship, including yourselves. Once I get the last of the mana I need to cast this, we're off. It'll be a fast ride, but I don't promise anything smooth.”

--------------------
PM
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Sep 19 2016, 01:05 PM
Experienced

N/A

It wasn't so much that they'd rammed into the tongue, as it was that the tongue had rammed into them. For a whale against a spaceship, it'd been swimming pretty fast.

That aside, the Pharaoh and Yugi glanced at one another, before suddenly Yugi's eyes opened wide and his streaks fell back down. Yugi gave Brent a determined look, and nodded, altering the cuffs on his Duel Disk before latching onto the most secure part of the ship's console.

--------------------
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Sep 20 2016, 04:56 PM
Survivor

N/A

Turn start. Draw. Mountain! That's five! Pierce played his final Land, increasing his available mana to five - exactly how much he needed to cast Teleportal using its Overload cost.

"Alright, here we go!" Pierce tapped all of his mana and shoved it into the Teleportal card, turning it into an active spell. A glow enveloped the entire ship and its inhabitants, and the ship itself started to vibrate. Pierce focused on the destination of the teleport - he wanted to end up in orbit around Radiant Garden, so they could commission Cid for repairs. It was either that or the talking chipmunks, and Pierce suspected he had blown Yugi's mind enough already.

Suddenly, the whole world around the ship seemed to twist, a loud blast could be heard, and they were gone.

Monstro, having heard and felt the large teleportation, stopped for a moment with a look of "Da fuq?"

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D || Teen Titans GO~ || The Games

Disclaimer: using the Split Lock skin by DoubleXXCross will not give you a suit of armour.
But even if it did, you can still very much get shot in the face.