photo the_inter.png

<% NEWS %>
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

» Let's Play Neverwinter Nights!, See me fail in my first LP EVER!
Auragongal
 Posted: Jan 10 2013, 04:50 PM
Renowned

N/A

Group: Character Moderator
Member No.: 7

Okay, I have an announcement for three things.

1. I'll try to get back to updating the LP tomorrow, or this weekend before school starts back.

2. Due to Legode still being in the first chapter of the OC, and the unknown amount of work I'll end up doing for school, I'll have to remove Grimshade Run from the possible choices for the First Interlude.

3. However, I will add in a new third option,Either the rogue, Derik Rydrion, or one of the characters that lost the vote starring in a Harpers Tale. I'm not sure whether or not to trau-I mean use Derik in it again yet, hence the possibility of using one of the losers from the vote.

Also, anyway how to cut the file size for the images used in the LP? I just realized that all of them loading when I look in the thread causes a bit of a drain on the Hughesnet Data Allowance, so advice will help... alot.

--------------------
Characters:
Legode Rydrion, the Blue Skinned Druid(Please keep in mind that while Legode is female, she looks highly bifauxnen/ manly in appearance. She never really developed in the chest area. Also has a Dire Wolf as her druidic animal companion. Do not call said companion a puppy/treat him like a house pet.)
Drizzt Do'Urden(Canon Character)
Aria Token(Mute, Hotblooded, Battling Ballerina)
PM Email
^
Patcheresu
 Posted: Jan 11 2013, 02:50 PM
Newcomer

N/A

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Here's a big tip. Upload in .jpg/.jpeg instead of .png.

--------------------
The Bane, in Spain, stays mainly on the plain.

My Characters:
My Self-Insert, Quinn
Johnny
PM Email WWW Gtalk
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Jan 11 2013, 07:46 PM
Renowned

N/A

So... after an enjoyable break, here is the next part of the LP, (finally) and since school is starting back after this weekend, I'll do my best to Update when I can, but there may be alot of delays due to the unknown workload for this this semester. As for when I'll start the first Interlude, I'm think I'll start it after I do the sixth update for the Prelude. So, in the mean time, please choose between Kinder in Snickersnack, Mara Ders and the first part of the Infernal Crown story, and instead of Legode and Grimshade Run due to not being able to finish the module I currently have her in before I'll be able to start the first Interlude the third option this time is Derik Rydrion in a prelude to what will be the most frightening time of his life.

In any case, here is

The Prelude Part 4: DAMN YOU MURPHY!

user posted image
Nick: I'll be going now.

Kinder: Yeah, we've been waiting forever to meet her, and Nick's got a date afterwards, what could fo wro--- oh dalharuk d'natha ssindossa!

Nick:I'm just going to ignore Kinder suddenly cursing in drow and just enjoy the moment.

Door Guard: Go on into the Assembly Hall whenever you are ready.

user posted image
And so, here we are in the assembly hall. Let's Mingle and loot look around before speaking with Aribeth.

user posted image
Starting with these two, Rezron the dwarf and Meiron the Halfling, and working our way around. Unfortunately, I could not show the starts of all the conversations. Mainly due to an image limit here on the forums that would cause this update to be split into a handful of posts, but also because it's been a month since the last update and I'm a bit rusty. As a result I'll have to do one convo image for each of the three groups in the hall.

user posted image
Rezron: Pretty sneaky... for a paladin. Say, you better stop chatting with me and get up there or you'll miss your blessing.

Kinder: Huh, I think Ol' Jared Darklash said that Eramor, despite being a Paladin, wasn't afraid to play dirty. Maybe she's a distant relative of him and Bethany or something.

Meiron: Truly we have reached a great milestone in our lives. Long have I prayed for this day. And Tyr has answered my prayers with a great bounty, a blessing from Lady Aribeth herself! Be certain you speak with her, lest you miss out on recieving your own blessing.

Kinder: Ow... no seriously... ow. This must be the kind of cleric that is crazy for their deity of choice. If Bethany was with you, she'd deck him... and then this place would need repairs to the which ever wall he hits or breaks through from it.

Nick: Right... *mumbles* just act natural and don't make eye contact.

Group 2: Zarn (Paladin) and Naiad (Rogue), who are both Human.

user posted image
user posted image
Zarn: I thank my Divine lord Tyr for giving me a chance to meet Aribeth in person. You must hurry and to her or you will miss out on recieving your blessing.

Kinder: She won't be going anywhere Zarny boy. The plot won't move on until we talk to her.
Nick:Just ignore Kinder, he's only talking nonsense.

Naiad: Isn't this exciting? We actually get to meet Lady Aribeth! Most paladins want nothing to do with rogues and spies, but she's actually a nice person! You better get up there or you'll miss your chance to get your blessing from her.

Kinder: Hey, my baby brother Derik's a rogue, and Eramor accepted him after he rescued Bethany... and her brother Serius, rotten Shevarashi bunjiro monk... so glad Eramor disowned him when he tried to kill my niece by making a deal with a devil.
Nick:Shevarash... he's that elven Demi-god in charge of Hatred against the Drow, Crusades, Vengeance and Loss, right? I guess since Kinder is a rare example of a good drow... somehow... Shevarashi must come off as a bunch of assholes.

And now the last group here, Fonlim the Gnome, Deeling the Dwarf, and Kiki the Elf. I could not figure out their classes... so... yeah...
user posted image
user posted image
Nick:*mutters* Must have called him Shirley... *chuckles*

Fonlim: But the chance to meet Lady Aribeth makes it all worth it in the end. Make sure you get up there, you don't want to miss out on getting your blessing.

Deelin: I hear Lady Aribeth is friends with Khelben Arunsun, the famous archmage from Waterdeep. Together they're working on a cure for the Wailing Death.

Kinder: Yeah, It's a shame Picard, I mean Khelben isn't going to show up... I think... the wall's a bit fuzzy there.

Deelin: It's an honor to meet someone who actually knows Khelben. You should go speak to Aribeth too, so you can recieve a blessing from her hand.

Kiki: Lady Aribeth understands that arcane magic isn't to be feared. She actually respects wizards instead of fearing them like most of the people in Neverwinter. It's an honor to actually meet someone as famous as Aribeth. You better go speak to her yourself, or you won't recieve your blessing.

Nick: Yeah. Sure. Whatever.

But first, a little more looking around. There are three things you can examine in here, so lets look at those before talking to Aribeth and moving on with the plot.

user posted image
This is a very, very good healing item at Nick's current level. Why? It's an insta-heal for new characters. We are going to save this for as long as we can, got it. In the desk next to it, I found two gold, but since I think loot is actually randomized in some containers, might not be what you'll get at this point in your own play through.

user posted image
Kinder: *clears throat* "Infused with the essence of immortal Tyr himself, the Pool of Righteous Energy will recover any relics lost by those that act in the service of the Just God. A small donation to Tyr's Holy might will be appreciated."

Nick: *whispering* Meaning?

Kinder: I think it means if you accidentally drop an important quest item, it'll pop up in there and you'll have to buy it back... or... something. It could just be some smart ass cleric's attempt at a scam though, I don't recall these things actually... well, working.

Nick: *facepalms*
Seriously, I have no idea how the pools work, mainly because I never used them. Anyway, Let's talk to Aribeth and get on with the plot! Aribeth is voiced by Wendee Lee, AKA, Fae Valentine of Cowboy Bebop, AKA Aqua from ToS:Dawn of the New World, AKA Haruhi. Freaking. Suzumiya.

user posted image
user posted image
Aribeth: I have been looking forward to meeting you, Nicholas. The instructors here at the Academy spoke very highly of your skills. I am Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande.

Kinder: *whistles* HELLO ARIBETH! *pages flipping followed by a book hitting a desk or a table* Lady Aribeth is the epitome of grace and concentration, although she is obviously preoccupied with worry for those suffering from the plague. Hey, think she's single?

Nick: Act natural, pretend you aren't hearing him. Act natural, pretend you're not hearing him.

Aribeth: Perhaps after the graduation ceremonies we can speak in private. Neverwinter can use a good man like you.

Kinder: Nick, you sly dog! Getting to meet TWO women in private in one day? Nice!~

Aribeth: We can arrange a... wait! What was that?

Kinder: Ah crap! She can hear me?!

Aribeth: Did you feel it, Nicholas? Brace yourself, we're under attack!

Kinder:*phew* it was only the plot... thank the gods!

Nick: Figures!

And thus, the Prelude mid boss fight began with a grand entrance:

user posted image
Kinder: I TOLD you! See? Teleport Spells! WALLS DO NOTHING AGAINST THEM! NOTHING!

user posted image
Nick: Shut the hells up you idiot!

Aribeth: *standing right next to him and stabbing an attacker* What?!

Nick: Not talking to you Aribeth, I'll explain when we're not being attacked!

Aribeth: Very well! *runs over and kills the last enemy standing.*

user posted image
Nick: Alright, alright! I'm coming!

user posted image
Kinder: No kidding! It's the curse of Murphy!

Aribeth: As you may already know, a number of creatures were brought from Waterdeep here to the Academy.

Kinder: Once again, Rumors are truth here.

Aribeth: It was believed the reagents for a spell to create the cure could be extracted from them. We tried to keep this information secret. But this attack reveals our secret is well known, even to our enemies.

Nick: Everyone at the Academy seemed to know about the Waterdhavian creatures.

Aribeth: Rumors spread more quickly than the plague itself, or so it would seem.

Kinder: Probably should have made sure no one was listening in when they got here. Like say, the janitorial staff for this place? Those guys are always a force of the Rumor Mill part of the curse. Especially if they worked under mages.

Aribeth:But what has been done cannot be undone, we must focus at the task at hand. Neverwinter has many enemies. Some declare themselves openly, such as the city of Luskan. Others keep their identities hidden from us, striking from the shadows. I do no know who is behind this attack, but it is obvious they are here to destroy our hope of ending the Wailing Death.

Kinder: Hope's a pretty powerful thing, destroy a person's hope... and well, the bad guys will win completely.

Aribeth: You must protect the Waterdhavian creatures, Nicholas! They must not be allowed to fall into the enemy's hands!

Nick: Wait a minute, you're not coming with me?

Kinder: Smart move... and yet also pointing the way to finding out who the bad guy here is... sneaky move there writers, snea-ky move.

user posted image
Aribeth:Our attackers appeared in this room. It is likely their arrival was magically centered on me. They must have assumed I would be with the Waterdhavian creatures.

Kinder: Smart woman. Please be single! Please be single! Please be single! Please be single!

Nick: I see.

Aribeth: Even now our enemy may be watching me through magical means, hoping I will lead them right to where the creatures are being kept. I cannot take that risk.

Kinder: *cough* Awkward...

Aribeth: You must do this alone Nicholas. Go back through the hallway leading to this room and take the corridor to the east. It leads to the chambers where the Waterdhavian beasts are being kept.

Nick:Okay, best NOT mention the eyepatch thing... okay, got to think of a way to distract her from asking about earlier... Come on Nicholas, think! Wait a minute! I got it! Why should I listen to you?

Aribeth: The lives of thousands of innocent people hang in the balance! If the creatures are lost, a cure for the Wailing Death will be lost with them! But if that is not enough to garner your loyalty, know that you will be greatly rewarded if you manage to save the Waterdhavian Creatures.

Nick: I'll do it- but the reward better be worth the trouble!

Kinder: Yes. Be an ass to save your own, brilliant strategy Nick.

Aribeth: Take this key, Nicholas, it will open the locked door back in the hallway leading to this room. I will stay here; hopefully my presence will draw the enemy away from the creatures they seek.

Kinder: Well... you did just say which way to go before mentioning they were possibly spying on you

Aribeth: Hurry! Make your way into the hall and then to the chambers down the east corridor. That is where the Waterdhavian creatures are being kept. The fate of Neverwinter depends on you Nicholas. The key will open the door. May Tyr be with you!

user posted image

Kinder: You know, this won't be the only room attacked, better start seeing if you can find survivors.

Nick: *mumbles* Gods damn it.

That's right, The Prelude ain't over yet! We're going to have to race against time (not really) to save the creatures. So, what happens as soon as we leave the room? This:

user posted image
user posted image
We get attacked by weak Goblins, and their boss gets away by teleporting.

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/746/prelude250.png
Kinder: While Goblins are often considered little more than a nuisance, an unchecked population can often balloon into a serious threat to normally civilized areas.

Nick: I know that Kinder! Goblins are the most annoying thing in Faerun! Wait, if the Guard's dead... I got to find Silk!

user posted image
Nick: SHIT! Silk! Silk are you here?
As seen here, after you leave the Assembly Hall, Goblins are in the rooms, and unfortunately, they were able to overpower the NPCs. However, since we can now actually fight in the tutorial (and gain exp.) We also start to see a great part of RPGs:

user posted image
Nick: What's this?

Remains, drops, whatever you call it, here it is: Looting the dead bodies of your enemies! WHOOHOO!
The remains of the goblin that was here, was 1 gold. Now, in the OC, bodies faded and left behind little icons if they had a chance to drop something, however in SoU and HotU... the bodies don't fade until you loot them. Unfortunately, the corpses here are props we can't interact with so we can't do anything to him.

user posted image
Nick: Kill goblin, rescue Silk, get the hells out of here. Perfect plan.

user posted image
Nick: There, goblin's dead... no... nonononono...

Kinder: She's dead Nicholas... I'm sorry.

user posted image

Nick: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

End of update. Next time: Nicholas is going to go on a rampage.

--------------------
Characters:
Legode Rydrion, the Blue Skinned Druid(Please keep in mind that while Legode is female, she looks highly bifauxnen/ manly in appearance. She never really developed in the chest area. Also has a Dire Wolf as her druidic animal companion. Do not call said companion a puppy/treat him like a house pet.)
PM Email
^
Blaizokaran
 Posted: Jan 18 2013, 12:58 PM
Survivor

N/A

Member No.: 6

Split post!

--------------------
PM
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Jan 18 2013, 04:40 PM
Renowned

N/A

Alright, here is update five. This will be the last update for the vote for the first Interlude. I will announce the choice for the Interlude at the end of the next update, and then start working on getting screenshots of that. So, for one last time, here are the choices for the first Interlude:

1. Kinder Rydrion in Snickersnack!
2. Mara Ders in Infernal Crown
2. Derik Rydrion in A Harper's Tale

Now then, onto the Update.

The Prelude Part 5: Roaring Rampage of Revenge.

user posted image
user posted image

Yep, that's what happened last time, let's check to see how Nick is doing...

user posted image
Nick: *sob* Silk... good gods... Silk...

Kinder: NICHOLAS! Get ahold of yourself will you?! Listen, I know how you feel, I've had girls I was going to score with die before I get the chance as well. But if you delay any longer, the bad guys are going to get the creatures and then you'll get in trouble with Aribeth! Not to mention they'll get away without you avenging Silk.

Nick: You're right... *stands up* I'M GOING TO KILL THOSE BASTARDS!

Kinder: (Oh good, that worked.) You are? Well, since I don't think much plot will happen for a bit, I think this calls for a Montage! *clears throat* HEY REYNALDO! Get the music going!

Nick: Who the hells is Reynaldo?!

Kinder: My assisstant on the homefront of course.

Reynaldo: *grumbles while the sounds of something heavy is being moved* I can't believe I accidentally blew up the family farm just to find out from this nut case that I'm a sorcerer... I just HAD to accept that job opening for assisstant number 348 two weeks ago, didn't I? *music starts playing* Alright Master Kinder, go on and get this stupid thing over with!

Kinder: Thank you!~ *starts singing* The intense, cold heartbreak I have, is like a a flame slowly dying inside me. Go forth and avenge the girl you lost in a rampage of revenge, the bad guys will face your justice.

user posted image
Nick: YAAAAH! DIE GOBBIES DIE!

Kinder: Go on forth! My angry rogue, and slice their goblinoid throats open! Just becareful you do not get a bad roll, or else the gong of fate will sound for the last time.

Nick: DIE! YOU! YELLOW! FREAKS!

Kinder: When all is said and done, you must keep on fighting, and reach for the Future! THERE SOUNDS THE GONG OF FATE!
Reynaldo: *bangs a Gong.*

user posted image
user posted image
Kinder: Stab the little goblins with your steel! And take the potion from the desk in the back! Avenge the fallen healers and paladins and all who lost their lives today. Fight for the things that could have been, and save the day from who destroyed your dreams! Fight with everything you got, and you will go on!

Reynaldo: *hitting something with what might be a staff.* GO AWAY! GO AWAY!

Nick: Going to have to change into some better armor... my clothes are getting destroyed here...

user posted image
Kinder: Kill the goblins and open the chest, and take the two scrolls that are inside!

user posted image
Kinder: Then kill the rest of the goblins that you find, and let the dead go to Kelemvor's realm in peace

Nick: I'll NEVER GIVE UP!

Kinder: Never throw away your pride! It's sometimes all that you got, now go forward with goblinocide!

user posted image
KInder: NICK CAN YOU HEAR THE GONG?!
Reynaldo: *Bangs gong again*

Nick: YES!

Kinder: Just checking. *Goes back to singing* Stab the little Goblins with your steel! And steal from the nearby weapon rack!
user posted image
Reynaldo: Master Kinder are you sure you are really helping right now?

Kinder: REYNALDO! REYNALDO! *stops singing again and whispers* Sh! He can sell the bow, bolts, crossbow, arrow, sling and bullets later.

user posted image
Nick: DIEEEEEEE!
Reynaldo: Right... *whacks something with a staff again* Back off you crazy braindog thing!

Kinder: Hey! Leave Mr. Killywinks alone! *mumbles* besides, the correct term is Intellect devourer.... not braindog thing...

Reynaldo: WELL GET IT OFF ME!

user posted image
Nick:DIEEE!

Kinder & Renaldo: *sounds as if struggling against something, things being smashed and broken, deranged gurgling, screaming, and all while the music still playing*
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Nick: YOU!

Reynaldo: *gets hit into the gong.*
user posted image
Mysterious Mage: What? You survived? It matters not. You will die here!

Nick: I HERE THE GONG OF FATE!

Mysterious Mage: What?!

user posted image
Kinder: There's my cue! *starts singing again* Stab the little goblins with your steel! And then loot their remains. Take the boots of reflexes from that first chest,

user posted image
Kinder: and the three potions in the other!

Nick: *now singing to himself* Kill the little goblins with my steel, and avenge the deaths of my sweet Silk, if I find a survivor in this mess, I'll take them with me...

Kinder: NICHOLAS! NICHOLAS!

Nick: WHAT?! What is it Kinder?

Kinder: You may want to look up ahead, isn't that one of the twins from the start of this whole thing?

user posted image
Nick: Well, I'll be damned...

Welp, that wraps it up for this Update. Next time: The Survivor. Also, again, here are the three choices for the Interlude as a reminder to vote, and please place those votes in your comments in this thread:
1. Kinder Rydrion in Snickersnack!
2. Mara Ders in Infernal Crown
3. Derik Rydrion in A Harper's Tale

--------------------
Characters:
PM Email
^
Lancereiger
 Posted: Feb 2 2013, 11:44 AM
Experienced

N/A

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

Fun and bloody times ahead for our *Cough* Hero. I choose 1. Kinder Rydrion in Snickersnack! As my pick for the Interlude choice!

--------------------
New Forum, New Heroes! Where will our adventures take us?

Roster:
Lance A Kamen Rider and His Blob.
Cexlan Anomalous Jacka**.
Dekar The Undying Knight.
Bass The Perfect Robot Master.
Shaia The Inventor Interference.
PM
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 02:57 PM
Renowned

N/A

Alright, so here is the update, finally, it’s a bit big this time, but mainly because we are covering quite a few details. But first, since I found a couple of books in the last update, but didn’t show them due to image based limitations and just forgetting at the time, here are the descriptions I forgot to add for the books, and a couple of items that were found in that update as well:

The Imp’s Prison
Popular legends tell of sylvan creatures luring men within trees, where exists entire kingdoms, known as the faerie realms. A less-popular legend tells of a similarly mischievous group of imps.

According to the tale, these imps lure people into their realms by taunting them with something that they may desire, such as wealth or pleasure. Once, when the person follows, entranced by the whisperings of the imps, he finds himself within a twisted abyss, bereft of hope or the possibility of escape.

In other words, if an imp trolls you, don’t take it’s bait or you will be trapped in part of the Abyss, which in the Forgotten Realms is a completely different place from hell.

The Rival Orc Tribes & their Great Battles
One portal opened by Muhorand’s rebellious wizards led to a world populated by savage orcs. These orcs used the portal to invade Fareun, overrunning many northern settlements and slaying thousands. The manifestations of the god-kings of both Mulhorand and Unther battled the orcs, and the orcs retalitated by summoning divine avatars of their own deities. During these conflicts, known as the Orcgate Wars, the orc god Gruumsh slew the Mulhorandi sun god Re, the first known deicide in the Realms. Many of the Untheric Deities were slain as well. The human deities eventually prevailed and the orcs were slain or driven northward.

The deities set and Osiris battled to succeed Re, and Set murdered his rival. Horus absorbed the divine power of Re and became Horus-Re, defeated Set, and cast the evil god into the desert. Isis resurrected Osiris. All of the Mulhorandi pantheon but Set united in support of Horus-Re. The two old nations paused to rebuild their power and lick their wounds. During this time the empires of Raumathar and Narfell rose in the battlefield territories to the north. In Unther, their chief god Enlil abdicated in favor of his son Gilgeam and vanished, and Ishtar, the only other surviving Untheric deity, gave the power of her manifestation to Isis and vanished as well. Gilgeam began his 2,000-year decline into despotic Tyranny as the ruler of Unther.

Okay, so this one hear had a title that didn’t fit. Instead of talking about the orcs, It talked more about Mulhorand and Unther. So, shouldn’t this one have been called “The Orcgate Wars” or something?

Boots of Reflexes +1
In the dark night of Amn, the rich and powerful protect themselves from the predations of the Shadow Thieves by constructing elaborate traps throughtout their homes. To counter this, the Shadow Thieves created these boots to quicken their reactions and burglars.

And that’s it for the files and the boots. Now, at the end of this update, I’ll announce the first interlude. So, without further delay, let’s get going!

The Prelude, Part 6: Henchmen, Info Dumping, and Leveling up!

Last time we saw Nick slaughter goblins in a fit of rage, while Kinder sang/narrated the thing with some help from Reynaldo Moon the assistant. That ended with our hero (probably not) finding a survivor. Now then, let’s see who it is!

user posted image
Nick: Don’t worry about the goblins… I’ve made sure they’re on a one way trip to the hells.

Kinder: Actually… I think Goblins qualify as Chaotic, so it’d be more correct to say they’ve been sent into the Abyss than the Hells. Mainly since The Hells and the Devils living there are Lawful.

Nick: Ignoring that. Which one are you again?

Pavel: It’s me, Pavel! Remember? This whole place is crawling with enemies – they killed my brother, Bim! Please Nicholas, you have to let me join up with you.

Nick: *raises eyebrow* Join up?

Pavel: Everybody needs help from someone once in a while, someone with skills you don’t have.

Kinder: Unless you multi-class.

Pavel: Or sometimes you just need some extra muscle or magical firepower. That’s why most towns have places you can go to hire henchman to join up with you. When you talk to them, they’ll be quick to offer their services for a fee.

Nick: Oh, the sellswords. Those guys are always *fun* to hang out with when you can afford them.

Pavel: But I’m not asking you to pay me anything. I just want to join up with you so I can avenge Bim’s death… and maybe get out of here alive.

Kinder: Safety in numbers is a good thing to keep in mind Nick. Besides, I don’t think Ferdinand’s “children” will be happy that their caretaker was offed, especially if they manage to break out and Pavel here is still around when they roam the halls.

Nick: Well when you put it that way… Okay, join up with me.

Pavel: I’ll follow you and use my skills to help you out. If you ever want to give me more specific instructions, just speak to me. I’ll change my tactics accordingly. I’ve got a mind of my own, but you’re the one in charge, I’ll need your help, too. If I get hurt, I might need you to heal me.

Nick: That’s a no brainer.

Kinder: Yeah, Henchman aren’t immortal or anything. They can die as easily as you can, so you need to take care of them.

Pavel: If you can’t cast healing spells, use a potion to heal me. Just drag one to me from your inventory and use it. Now let’s get out of here!

Nick: On second thought, I think I’ll do better off on my own.

Pavel: Please don’t send me away! I’ll never make it out of here alive on my own! You’re not really going to abandon me, are you?

Nick: *groans* No, stay… let’s just get going okay?

Okay, what just happened was that we just entered the Henchman Tutorial. In NWN, Henchman are NPCs we can hire to help us survive better in the game. However, we can’t have an army with us, as in some modules, there is a limit placed in. In the Original Campaign and in Shadow of Undrentide, we only get one Henchman, and if we hire someone else, they will replace our current one. Familiars, Summoned Creatures, and Animal Companions do not count as henchman fortunately, so we won’t lose our help if our hero, or a caster decides to bring in some extra help. In Nick’s case, since he isn’t a magic user he shouldn’t be able to summon anything. Well, thankfully the Wonderful World of the Forgotten Realms has a solution to that in the form of scrolls, wands, rods, musical instruments, and other things.

Anyway, let’s look around, shall we? Now, in the room our hero is in at the moment, there was a pile of books. Here is what was in that pile:

The Origin of Magic
Long ago, magic was more raw and potent than it is today. The great civilizations of the creator races were based on endless experimentation with these energies, and during their long rules they created many new forms of life.

The cruel and decadent creator races chose to release their monstrous mistakes rather than destroy them. Most died in the jungles, yet many lived and-as thought awakened in them- they hid from their creators. When the end came at last, it was they – not the old races - who seized control of Faerun.
And so it was that the first of the elves, the dragons, the goblin races, and an endless list of creatures of a new age took possession of their heritage. Their creators - the ancestors of the lizardfolk, bullywugs, and aarakocra – declined into savage barbarism, never to rise again.

Sages speculate about the “overnight” descruction of the creator races. There are wildly diverging theories, but all agree that a rapid climate change occurred, creating a world unsuitable to them. Many believe the change resulted from a cataclysm the races unleashed upon themselves. Proponents of this theory point to the Star Mounts in the High Forest, whose origins are most likely magical and otherworldly. The elves believe that around the time the greater and lesser powers manifested themselves, aiding the new races and confounding the survivors of the creator races. There was civilization in the North during this time period, yet little more than tantalizingly vague myths survive.

user posted image
And here on this bookshelf, we find:

The Trade of Blades
Penned by Augustavus Cale, founder of the notorious Trade of Blades guild and freehouse, the book appears to be a rather lengthy and self-published rant on why the city guards of Neverwinter should not be wasting time trying to moderate the activities of mercenaries. His “argument” appears to be thinly veiled extortion, implying untold mayhem if the needs of these sellswords are not accommodated.

Excerpt:

Much has been made of the threat to our lands and homes posed by men and women of the sword, those that walk down the roads with no ties to lord or lady. Many have argued that allowing these creatures to maintain quarters in Neverwinter is to invite trouble. I would say that to turn them away would bring double or triple hardship down upon the surrounding settlements. If you deny the mercenary his living, what recourse will he or she have but to turn to banditry?

Would it not make sense to allow the Trade of Blades to welcome them, thus imparting a sense of kinship with the city? Does it need to be said that having them here for our hire is far better than turning them away and into the arms or our enemies? It is in the best interests of Neverwinter that not only is the mercenary tolerated, but welcomed.

user posted image
Kinder: OOH! A new enemy! Alrighty then let’s see here… *pages turning* Ah here we go! The bones of the dead, animated by dark magic, Skeletons have no mind of their own. They are but an extension of their master’s will.

user posted image
Nick: Who hides just one coin in a desk?!

user posted image
Nick: DIE GOBBY!

user posted image
[i]Kinder: Hold on, let me get my item guide… gods I need to get my bookshelves organized… Ah, here we are! Piercing arrows. This arrow is crafted to bite deeply into its target, delivering additional piercing damage on impact.

user posted image
user posted image
Pavel: Die again bonehead!

Nick: Nice move Kid!

So, because I really should have showed it earlier this update, here is Pavel’s Character sheet:

user posted image
So yeah, he’s a fighter, he’s strong, agile, healthy, average intelligence, a bit wise, and not too pretty in terms of Charisma. I’ll show you guys Nick’s sheet later. Anyway, the tabs up top are the main sheet, the keys represent his skills, and the sparkling sword there is for his feats. I’ll go a bit more into detail on this later.

user posted image

user posted image
Nick: *whistling to himself.*

user posted image
user posted image

Nick: Dammit, someone killed the goblin in here already. Eh, might as well take the loot though.

And here is what was found:

5 gp total, and 22 bolts for a crossbow.

user posted image
Nick: Hm? Wonder what’s in here?

Pavel: I’m prepared to fight if there’s a trap sir!

Nick: Good for you kid.

Kinder: Well, he’s certainly eager.

user posted image
Kinder: Oh look! Another survivor! Wait, this guy’s an old man… no weapons… TUTORIAL MODE SENSES TINGLING!

Nick: Godsdamn it Kinder…

Pavel: Are you alright Nicholas?
Nick: I’m fine. It’s just a headache.

Alrighty then! It’s time for the moment I’ve been waiting for this whole part of the LP… LEVELING UP!

user posted image
user posted image
Nick: I’m ready to learn how to level up.

Geldar: Then we shall begin the lesson. To level up, you must first access your character record sheet. Don’t do this now or you’ll end our conversation. You’ll have to listen to the instructions and then try it when we’re done speaking. You can access your character sheet by pressing “C” on your keyboard, by left-clicking the CHAR box beneath your portrait, or through the menu. Remember, you’ll have to wait until our conversation is over to do this. Are you ready to continue?

Nick: …

Kinder: Nick! Just nod even if you don’t get it.

Nick: Uh… sure. *nods*

Geldar: Whenever you have enough experience points to go up another level you will see a flashing LEVEL UP box at the center of your character record sheet. Left-click this box to begin your level up. You can cancel the level up process at any time by left-clicking on the CANCEL box on the level up screen. To level up, first select the class you wish to gain a level in. You can have levels in up to three different classes. Some classes may not be available to you because of alignment restrictions. After selecting the class you wish to gain a level in, click the okay box.

Nick: *nods* Please continue.

Geldar: After selecting the class to level up in, the SKILLS page appears. Click on a skill to assign a skill poing and gain a rank in that specific skill. Or, if you wish, you can click the RECOMMENDED box in the bottom left. This will automatically assign your skill points in a pre-selected default package based on your class and level. When you are done with the SKILLS page, click OK. This will bring up the FEATS page, if you have any new feats available. Available feat are listed on the menu on the left. Click the arrow beside a feat and it will move it to the “Know Feats” menu on the right. Again you can click the RECOMMENDED box for a default package.

Nick: Simple enough.

Geldar: Depending on you class and level, other pages will appear during the level up process. Using the mouse, you may select new spells, assign ability point increase, or choose a new familiar or animal companion. Simply follow along each page and click ok when you are finished. At any time you can click the CANCEL box to quit the process and start over.

Nick: Go on.

Geldar: On the subject of henchman, you’ll need to remember a few things. For instance, when you gain a level, your henchman will also gain a level, matching your progress. However, this only happens if they are in your party when you gain a level. When you first meet a henchman, or if they were not present for a time, you may be more experienced than they are. Don’t worry, you can train them and make up the difference. When you speak with a henchman that is a lower level than you, you will have the option to tell them to level up. Easy as that.

Nick: I understand. Anything else?

Geldar: This is the end of our lesson, Nicholas. Only once you have leveled up will you be able to pass through the south door.
And now, let’s see the level up screen in action!

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Now, as you can see here, we have some areas grayed out. Monk and Paladin being unavailable due to Nick being neutral, while the rest are a special. The classes listed after Wizard are what are known as Prestige classes. The reason these are special are due to requirements that you have to meet with your character in order to use them. Some are only for a certain race, some related to only a certain class. For example, the Red Dragon Desciple class is only available to bards and sorcerers. Assassins need to be evil in order to level up, Blackguards can’t be good, and purple dragon knight is only useful in one premium module I don’t have.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Here, we have skills. As you can see, our rogue has a lot of skill points to spend, which will become better whenever his Int Modifier goes up. Now, most classes I think, usually have only four points to spend at level up and the fields that don’t have “Class Skill” on them take two points to increase. Grayed out skills are ones we can’t have. So Nick can’t understand animals, or perform.

user posted image
Now, this here is the level up summary, since this time the game wouldn’t let us pick a feat, I’ll have to wait until we level up again. Anyway, since I said I would earlier, here is Nick’s Character Sheet:

user posted image
Not as strong as Pavel, but he is more agile, healthier, smarter, not so wise, and much better looking/likeable as a person.

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image
Now, here are how his skills are currently scored. Appraise is good for getting stuff cheaper in stores, Bluff, Intimidate, and Persuade are used in dialogue, the Craft Skills are something we aren’t going to use because they cost money and experience, and we cannot make magic weapons/armor with them. Also, I refuse to use traps. Disable trap though, is something that will protect your ass in dungeons, Discipline is useful to keep Nick from being knocked on his ass, and there will be enemies that can do that later on.

Heal is a must. Since Nick can’t use healing spells, the Heal Skill will protect him when he’s low on potions, and happens to have healing kits. Speaking of those, when you yourself play the game, I advise you buy as much healing potions and kits as you can, especially when playing a wizard or sorcerer. Why? There are things out there that can hit you very, very hard, and you will need them.

Hide is what lets Nick sneak around unseen, combined with Move Silently. Listen is used to detect hidden monsters, and unfortunately, poor Nick’s not very good at it… of course, if you had a wizard jabbering in your skull, you probably wouldn’t be able to hear very well either.

Lore is another must. This allows us to identify items, and the higher Lore is, the more we can identify. Plus, it costs 100 gold to get something identified by a merchant, so it will save us money in the long run, so this is getting increased every level up.

Open lock gives Nick a better chance of unlocking more and more stuff as he levels up, Parry is meh. Pick Pocket getting higher will lower the chances of getting caught, and might yield better stuff as well. Ride is only used in the same mod that the Purple Dragon Knight hails from… and any mods that allows mounts. This might not end up getting shown in the LP though. Search and Spot lets Nick see hidden things, like hidden enemies, and hidden doors. Taunt is to rile up the enemy, Tumble is dodging, and use magic device lets Nick use things he shouldn’t be able to, and bypass certain restrictions.

user posted image
user posted image
And here we have the Feats. The Feats are what Nick has that helps him survive and do his job well. Now, let’s go talk to Geldar again and finish up this update!

user posted image
Geldar: I am too old to go with you, but the south door is now open for you. Beyond you will find the chambers leading to the Waterdhavian creatures… if the attackers have not taken them already.

And that is the end of this update. Now, it’s time I announce the first Interlude…

A Harper’s Tale starring Derik Rydrion.

Why? Well, for one reason, A Harper’s Tale is a four part mod, about as long as the OC including the prelude. Another reason is that as much as Snickersnack had wanted to be seen by a couple of people… Kinder didn’t want to do it again. Sorry folks. Finally, this mod has a sue in it, and I am going to mock that sue through all nine hells and back! Until the next update everyone!

--------------------
Characters:
PM Email
^
CypherMagi
 Posted: Feb 18 2013, 11:22 AM
Newcomer

N/A

Member No.: 24

This is really good. I like what I've seen so far. =)

--------------------
PM
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Feb 18 2013, 11:29 AM
Renowned

N/A

Okay, I’m finding it easier to write these up in word and then just copy/paste them to the forums this LP is on, so… I think I’ll just do that from now on. Anyway, this update won’t have much to add plot wise, so it will be killing, looting, item descriptions, and commentary.

The Prelude, Part 7: Killing and Looting

From the in game quest journal because I’m too lazy to put up the image itself: Having learned how to Level Up, you may now proceed past Geldar. The Waterdhavian Creatures are somewhere up ahead, and you will need a full understanding of all you have learned if you are to help protect them.

user posted image
Nick: Alright, let’s get going. I have a reward to collect, and hopefully get out of town afterward.

Pavel: Sir yes sir! wasn’t he yelling at nobody before he talked to me earlier? And wasn’t he talking to himself in the menagerie?

Kinder: Careful Nick, your tempting Murphy there.

Nick: Shut up Kinder.

Kinder: Just saying.

user posted image
Nick: Damn, there’s nothing to loot in here.

Pavel: Who’s Kinder? Oh gods, he’s doing it again.

Nick: Oh shit I forgot he was still here! Nothing, just a damn wizard talking to me.

Kinder: *laughing*

Pavel: If you say so sir… Sweet Tyr, this man is insane. Do all adventurers end up like this? I swear if I survive this, I’m going back to the farm! I don’t want to end up like this guy!

user posted image
Nick: Hmm… I wonder what’s in here…

Answer? Goblins.

user posted image
Nick: HAHAH! Take this you little yellow assholes!

user posted image
user posted image
Other loot from this room:

Gloves of Discipline
Tired of watching new recruits to the Silver Ravens fumble and drop their weapons during training, Miklos Selkirk hired a mage to develop a magic item to help their discipline. When the first recruit to don the gloves couldn’t be disarmed by the Silver Raven champion, Miklos knew he had something extraordinary.

user posted image
And in here, we found a sling, a potion of bull’s strength, a gold piece and a torch. Here’s the description I have saved for the potion:

Potion of Bull’s Strength
These blood-red infusions, made from the horns and heart of young bulls, grant the drinker great physical strength.

user posted image
Nick: Hmm…. Nothing’s attacked us again… yet.

user posted image
Pavel: Yet? I’m honestly starting to think not being attacked is a good thing… isn’t it?

user posted image
Nick: Not really. I’ve once went to a place that had monsters hidden on the walls and ceilings, and there were a few mimics in there too.

Pavel: Th-the walls? I think I’ll have to reconsider being an adventurer now…

Kinder: Oh come on, the security wasn’t THAT bad when you forgot the damn tower key, was it?

Nick: Yes.
user posted image
Nick: HAHA! Let’s go boneheads!

Pavel: AHHHH! *smashing stuff with his flail*

user posted image
Nick: TRAPS?! What lame loot….

Kinder: Agreed. Eh, maybe someone will buy them on the black market.
Other loot found:

Copper Necklace
Phenalope
Fire Agate
Potion of cure Light Wounds.

user posted image
user posted image
Gloves of Spellcraft
In an effort to help stave off the expansion of the Mulhorand Theocracy, several Red Wizards of Thay worked together to create these gloves to assist the Magocracy that controls Unther. While the gloves assist the mages in recognizing some of the powerful spells being cast, the superior numbers of the Mulhorand mages still gives them the advantage.

user posted image
Pavel: Um, Nicholas, sir?

Nick: What is it?

Pavel: Can I ask what happened to your eye?

Nick: Hm? Well, it happened when I found myself in a tunnel to the Underdark, a mage and this incredibly hot elven cleric of Corellon were fighting against an Aboleth, and I ended up getting caught in the fight, I accidentally caused a cave in on top of the Aboleth, and trapping it inside the tunnel, with me, the wizard, and the cleric on the other side, and able to get out.

Pavel: So…

Nick: *sighs* My eye was taken out by one of the rocks stabbing it when it ricocheted off the cave floor.

Pavel: Wow… that’s… a little unlucky.

Nick: Kid, you have no idea.[/i]

Kinder: Yeah, I remember that day, didn’t you cause the cave in when the aboleth tripped you with its tail, and your shouting was loud enough to cause the collapse?

Nick: *grumbles*

user posted image
Nick: *singing* Stab the little goblins with your steel…

user posted image
Potion of Barkskin
The thick concoction smells dark and musty, like a forest after heavy rains.

user posted image
user posted image
Nick: Pavel, consider this a learning experience about how to handle dungeons.

Pavel: [color=lightblue] Oh, I’m learning something alright…

Loot found in here:

2 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds
Potion of Cat’s Grace
This sparkling potion greatly increases the drinker’s Dexterity.
1 gold piece, and one book.

The Doombringers
The world was not always as it is now. There was a time before time, when the land was shaped by the will of the creator races. These were not gods, but the power and magic they wielded were greater than anything seen since. For ages they ruled unchallenged, but at the time of great cooling a new threat emerged. The new races, the lesser beasts that become you and I, had grown in confidence and power and began asserting themselves on the land.

One of the creator races - their name is now lost to the wastes, and let it never be found or spoken again – turned its awesome power to conquest, and brought forth the great warrior machines. They were fearsome to behold, and there was no doubt to their intent; they were the Doombringers, and they would unleash devastating power upon the world. The young raves should have trampled underfoot, but fate intervened.

The masters of the Doombringers had seen their empire pushed to the edges of the Realms, past the peaks of what would become the Spine of the World. They huddled in the lonely mountains, waiting for their old glory to return. But this race had upset the greater balance with their war machines, taking away the very life force of the earth around them. They did not heed the groaning of the stone until their great halls and vaults fell around them and closed them under the earth.

Entombed, the creators could not mind their Doombringers, now standing idle before the forces that would destroy them; the lesser races, the earliest of us but not yet us. They were as ants beneath the giants, but they slowly brought them down. It was victory, but it was only the inattention of the masters that allowed it. They would not stay buried. The threat would surely come again and all lived in fear… until the forgetting.

Song and tale have passed the legends of the earliest times, but much has been lost of how we gained our foothold among giants. All we really know is that now we are the masters, the creators of things grand and beautiful, and whatever came before is gone. There are ants beneath our feet that we think nothing of… but it is best to remember that we were once they, and above us were beings greater than we shall ever be. Let us be mindful, and not look away, lest our own Doombringers fall.

Nick: The hells does this mean?

Pavel: Learn from the mistakes of ancient times?

Kinder: Remember you’re not a god, or else you’ll end up like whoever this book was talking about. And the Netherese when that one guy temporarily became a god and nearly screwed us all and almost destroying the source of magic we arcane casters use. Sure Mystril the predecessor to the first and second Mystras sacrificed herself to repair The Weave, but as a result, it’s been a rule that no mage ever create a spell greater than ninth level since. Sure there are epic level spells, but eh, it’s rare to find a caster divine or arcane that’s gotten THAT powerful.

user posted image

user posted image
Loot found in here was ten gold, and another piece of world building that is thankfully shorter than the last piece in this update.

The Ruins of Illusk
The remnants of the ancient city of Illusk stand on the southern short of the Mirar, in the lee of Closeguard Island. All that remains of this once proud city are a few shattered towers and toppled statues choked with creepers and thick brush. These ruins are bounded to the north by Luskan’s busy market and to the south the city’s noisy slums, and bisected by the Darkwalk, the street that leads to the Dark Arch. The Darkwalk is named for the haunted reputation that clings to the ruins of Illusk.

Fear of the magical traps and guardian monsters, as well as the sleepless undead has kept most of the tombs and treasure undisturbed. Still, a few enterprising rogues have escaped the ruins with spellbooks, scrolls, magic armor, and rich cashes of gems and coins. The dead far outnumber these lucky few though, and the Luskanites have a saying: “Only the most desperate try to rob the dead of Illusk.”

Luskanites rarely brave the overgrown northern ruins, even in the full light of day. There are persistent rumors of slave traders kidnapping folk and taking them below (a fate often threatened for unruly children by Luskanite mothers). No known maps of the underground chambers and passages exist, and no Luskanite will admit to knowing their ways.

Nick: Hmm… I think I’ll hold on to this book for future reference.

Pavel: What?! Why?! You’re not thinking of actually raiding that place, are you?! That book said that more die than come out alive!

Nick: Pavel, there are quite a few mages out there willing to buy anything magical found in a ruin. Besides, my employer would most likely make me go anyway.

Kinder: You bet your t’zarreth I’d make you go on that sidequest. *mutters* Especially since Luskan is going to show up in the second chapter…

Yeah, this is actually hinting at a future sidequest that you can miss. I found this out when looking up walkthroughs once. And if it’s too tough for Nick, I’ll include this as a bonus with a stronger character when I get to that point… either that or have Nick run through it anyway, depends on what mood I’m in by then.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Nick: HEY! It’s that bastard again!

And he is soon killed.

user posted image
Nick:… well, that was fast.

Pavel: No kidding. Those were terrible last words.

Kinder: Agreed.

And here we end the update. Next time: We finally get to the waterdhavian creatures, and after that, the bonus updates, so… about four more updates to go until the first part of the interlude! YAY!

--------------------
Characters:
PM Email
^
Lancereiger
 Posted: Feb 21 2013, 11:16 AM
Experienced

N/A

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

And the Prelude continues! Our crazy hero who keeps yelling at the air, and his somewhat trusty sidekick who really doesn't want to be there but doesn't want to die horribly! What wacky hijinks will these two get up to next?

Personally, I love this LP so far. Can't wait 'til we get to the real adventure!

--------------------
New Forum, New Heroes! Where will our adventures take us?

Roster:
Lance A Kamen Rider and His Blob.
Cexlan Anomalous Jacka**.
Dekar The Undying Knight.
Bass The Perfect Robot Master.
Shaia The Inventor Interference.
PM
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Feb 22 2013, 01:43 PM
Renowned

N/A

Okay everyone, this is the first of the last for parts of the Prelude! After this update will be the other three exams, and then the start of the first Interlude. Now, before I begin the update, I want to add in something I forgot to mention about a few items.

The Potions of Bull’s Strength and Cat’s Grace increase one stat for a short amount of time, about a couple of minutes I think. Bull’s Strength increases well, strength by one modifier rank. For example, a strength stat of ten or eleven would be average strength and have a modifier of 0, and the potion will increase that to twelve or thirteen, increasing the modifier temporarily to +1. Cat’s Grace works the same way, but with Dexterity instead. Now, there are 3 other potions, that I know of if there’s a fourth one I can’t remember what it is, that do this for each stat. Fox’s Cunning for Intelligence, Owl’s Wisdom for wisdom, and Eagle’s Splendor for Charisma. I can’t remember if there’s a special one for Constitution though, but clerics and arcane casters can learn spells with the same name as these 5 potions.

The Potion of Barkskin raises Defense, and lasts longer than the other stat modifiers, either until you rest, a day in game passes (I think), or you die. This potion, along with a couple we might see later, Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin, will be one of your best friends for characters with normally low defense like Wizards, Sorcerers, and Rogues, and any class that can’t equip any medium or heavy armor, like monks (at least while the monks in question are still low level.)

From here on in, I’ll do my best to explain what certain items do as well as put in the flavor text when available. Though if there are items that don’t do anything or someone can easily guess what they do, I’ll just have the flavor text. Spells though, I’ll just have to explain what they do when used, and show them off if I get the chance.

Now then, ONTO THE UPDATE!

Part 8: The Waterdhavians, and The Draft

Last time, we looted, killed goblins, re-killed skeletons, and found the guy who taunted us since the attack started and killed him. So, let’s loot the remains and move onward!

user posted image
Nick: That’s it? Just a pair of gloves? There’s got to be some money or something else salvageable on this guy.

Pavel: Sorry sir, the rest of his things were broken by my morning star.

Nick: Figures.

Gloves of Swordplay
It was the infamous swashbuckler, Eisneid Clume who first requested the magical assistance to help her parrying ability. She had been run through in seven duels before she had the gloves made. Once the gloves were in her possession, Eisneid won over thirty duels without a single scratch. Finally, word of her magical assets leaked out, and the level of swordplay in Hillsfar increased Dramatically.

This item raises a character’s parry skill by 3, but since I never used Parry mode in this game… these are going to get sold in chapter one.

user posted image
Nick: Add to my wallet.

user posted image
Nick: Sell.

user posted image
Nick: Add to wallet. Anything else in here?

Pavel: No sir.

user posted image
Nick: Damn. Well, let’s get going, the sooner we get out of this place, and hopefully the city, the better off I’ll be.

Kinder: Nick, you’re tempting Murphy again…

Nick: *mutters* Shut the nine hells up Kinder….

Pavel: Oh gods, he’s doing it again…

user posted image
Nick: Oh you have got to be stlarning kidding me…

Goblin: Kill the Dryad!

Kinder: Damn, they got a Goblin Elite there. This goblin looks much tougher than those you faced thus far Nick. And he sounds smarter than the others too.

Dryad: I must get away! *teleports*

Old man: They’ve freed the Yuan-ti!

user posted image
Nick: And she got away too. Great.

Kinder: Don’t you hate when you can’t move during cutscenes?

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Now, we get to meet these two, Fenthick Moss, who’s VA I can’t remember at all, and has a portrait that to me, looks oddly like French Stuart, and Desther Indelayne, who isn’t really liked by anyone, and who's VA I also can't remember.

user posted image
Nick: Gee, maybe because of the fact this academy’s security is crap?

Pavel: *swats Nick on the back of the head.*Shh!

Nick: Ow!

user posted image
Nick: I have come from Lady Aribeth. She sent me to protect the creatures.

Desther: You are the student she sent? Did Aribeth really think a… a whelp such as this could defend the Whaterdhavian creatures? She should have come herself! Is she really so blind Fenthick?

Kinder: Yeesh, what crawled up this guy’s et’zarreth and died?

Nick: Geeze, maybe if you looked at who you were insulting, you could make sure.
Fenthick: Desther! I will have you speak no more ill of Lady Aribeth. She did what she thought was best.

Nick: *snickers* Desther?

Kinder: *laughs* Oh man! That’s just too easy to make fun of! How about we call him Featherduster?

Nick: Hells yes!

Fenthick: *raises eyebrow*

Desther: *glares* Bah! I know of the feelings you and Lady Aribeth have for each other, but it does nothing to chance the facts. She was wrong to bring the creatures here.

Nick: HEY! You’d rather she just stand back and let the city suffer from a plague?! Listen Featherduster…

Kinder: Wow, unlucky for you Nick.

Reynaldo moon: Master Kinder… weren’t you wondering if Aribeth was in a relationship earlier?

Kinder:*coughs* That was before I had the best night of my nearly 400 years of life, and with a sweet red headed ranger named Gindy Arna…

Reynaldo: Right….

Nick: *Totally missed Kinder’s chat from yelling at Desther*And if you ever insult a paladin like her again, I will personally kick your ass on a one way basket to the ninth hell!

Fenthick : *Horrified* Sweet Tyr…

user posted image
Nick: What a horse’s ass.

Pavel: Nicholas, that was uncalled for!

Kinder: Now Nick, that’s an insult to horses.

Nick: True…

And then Desther leaves. Unfortunately, we will see him again in chapter one of the campaign. Fun. Anyway, this isn’t the only convo that happens here. And doing a bit of digging, I learned Pavel is voiced by Cam Clarke,who voiced Liquid Snake in MGS 1&2, and Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia and ToS: Dawn of the New World. I was quite surprised by that, as ToS is one of my favorite games.

user posted image

Pavel: I owe you my life, Nicholas. Without you, I wouldn’t have made it out of here. I… I could have died, just like my brother. You’ve got what it takes to be a great hero Nicholas, maybe even a legend. But, this life isn’t for me. I know that now.

Nick: You just have to stick with it Pavel.

Kinder: Oh wow, touching goodbye here. *sniff* I might just start tearing up!

Pavel: All I could think about in there was how afraid I was of dying. I wanted to curl up in a corner and just close my eyes to everything. Those aren’t the thoughts of a hero.

Nick: *smiles softly* Kid, you might be surprised what goes on in a hero’s thoughts some days.

Pavel: Thank you once more for saving me. I know you’ll be a great hero someday. But, I don’t want to risk my neck for fame and fortune.

Nick: Pavel…

user posted image
Pavel: You crazy rogue.

Nick: Thank you.

user posted image
And then, Pavel leaves too, and unlike Desther, he is never to be seen again. Now, let’s see what Fenthick has to say next.

img]http://imageshack.us/a/img42/6360/prelude433.jpg[/img]
Kinder: Either it’s the plague or Featherduster looking a way to dislodge that dead creature on a stick up his ass.

Nick: He was a Helmite? I thought he was a Cyric’s Witness with his attitude.

Kinder: Nah, those guys dress way better, and always travel in pairs. Though, they aren’t as uptight as that guy… sweet Erevan giving birth to the god of Unicorns is that guy an ass.

Nick: Kinder, your choice of deity is weird.

Fenthick: Pardon? It’s only you and I here.

Nick: Huh? Er, nothing. It’s a wizard talking to me through my eyepatch.

Fenthick: Oh. Well then… as I was saying…*backs up a step before continuing.* As their leader, Desther has worked long and hard to ease the suffering of Neverwinter, and this most recent setback has upset him greatly.

Nick: You sure he isn’t always like that?

Fenthick: I am Fenthick Moss, priest of Tyr and companion of the Lady Aribeth. You must be Nicholas, the student Aribeth told me about.

Nick: Aribeth? Have you spoken to her recently?

Fenthick: Desther and I arrived with reinforcements shortly after the attack began. We found Aribeth in the south assembly chamber, hard pressed by the dozens of the mysterious assailants. We managed to drive off the attackers and Aribeth told us she had sent one of the students ahead to defend the Waterdhavian creatures… and that you were the one involved with a little incident at the local festhall?

Nick: Godsdammit, I swear I had nothing to do with what happened at the Moonstone Mask, I was in front of the wrong place at the wrong time!

Fenthick: *raises eyebrow* Pardon?

Kinder: *snerk*

Nicholas: Nothing. Go on with your story.

Fenthick: Very well… While Aribeth tended to the wounded, one of the mages who had arrived with the reinforcements teleported Desther and me to this room. Alas, we arrived to find the cages upturned and the creatures fleeing.

Kinder: So wait, both you and Pavel, and those two guys had arrived at the same time!? Wow. Neverwinter’s security REALLY sucks.

Nick: Do you know who attacked the academy?

Fenthick: We have no clues as to who planned the attack, and I doubt any prisoners we take will know anything about who is truly behind this. A few straggling goblins are all that remain of our attackers, but I fear we have lost this battle. The Waterdhavian creatures are gone.

Nick: Damn, missed a few of the little bastards.

Fenthick: In any case, discovering their identity is secondary. Our first priority must be to recapture the Waterdhavian creatures so that we may extract a cure for the Wailing Death.

Nick: Would there be a type of reward for recovering the missing creatures?

Fenthick: I would like to think whoever helps in this tack does so out of a selfless desire to end the misery of the plague Nicholas. However I have no doubt that there will be both gold and glory for those who recover the Waterdhavian creatures.

Kinder: Wait, Did this guy show a little sarcasm there?

Nick: Aribeth promised me a reward earlier. I’m still waiting for it.
Fenthick: I have no doubt Aribeth’s offer was sincere, but the creatures are gone, Nicholas. You cannot expect a reward for *failing*.

Kinder and Reynaldo: Ooh…

Fenthick: Understand that I am not trying to lay blame; that will not change what has happened. But now we must focus our efforts on recovering the cure.

Nick: Oh hells no! I am sick of this town! I suppose my work here is done. I’ll be going now. *attempts to leave.*

Fenthick: *gets in the way.* Neverwinter needs you, Nicholas, now more than ever. The plague has taken many good men and women, and this attack has cost the lives of even more. We need all the help we can get if the cure for the Wailing Death is to be recovered. In the coming week we will rally what resources we can and reconvene in the Hall of Justice.

Nick: I’m not interested.

Reynaldo: The “Hall of Justice”. Seriously? That name makes me think of people wearing silly looking, very thin armor who meet up there when they aren’t fighting evil.

Kinder: Let’s see… now where did I put those books of superhero jokes?
Reynaldo: What’s a superhero?

Kinder: Nothing!

I wish I was making this up. There really will be a location called The Hall of Justice in the first chapter. Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare your Superfriends jokes.

user posted image
Nick: You wouldn’t dare.

Fenthick: Your name and face will be posted at every garrison. The city is quarantined, there is nowhere you can run. I’m afraid you have no choice in this matter. You can either help us in this task, or you can rot in jail.

Kinder: *whistles* Didn’t think an elf, especially an elf in service to a lawful good deity like Tyr could play dirty like a drow. I’m impressed.

Nick: Godsdammit… Given the choices, I guess I’ll help you.

Fenthick: From all accounts you are a capable man, Nicholas. Aribeth told me the instructors at the Academy spoke very highly of you.

Nick: Suuuuure they did. Maybe Ketta did, but ol’ Shirley? Couldn’t have.

user posted image
Fenthick: Lady Aribeth will have more information for you then. Hopefully we’ll have a better understanding of what we are up against. We must all do our part Nicholas.

Nick: I wish to ask you some questions.

Kinder: Good move Nick! Always ask questions when you can!

Fenthick: Time is of the essence, Nicholas, although I suppose I can answer a few quick questions.

Nick: Tell me about yourself.

Fenthick: I am a servant of Tyr, nothing more and nothing less.

Kinder: Except a sneaky eldalie dalharuk d’natha elg’caress.

Reynaldo: I think you had something in your throat there Master Kinder.

Kinder: *sighs*

Fenthick: I serve Neverwinter as is my duty and my heart weeps as the city suffers.

Nick: You’re also as sneaky as a drow.

Fenthick: That’s insulting, I am a much better as a person then a drow! When Lord Nasher appointed Aribeth to find a cure for the plague, I vowed to stay by my Lady’s side through out the ordeal. We are inseparable.

Kinder: So was my brother Derik and his elven wife, but eh, Bethany’s Shevarashi bunjiro of an older brother forced my baby brother to leave or let his kid get killed. *Spit! Clang! Foom?!*

Nick: So you and Aribeth are lovers?

Fenthick: Aribeth and I are of one heart, it is true. Is this surprising? We are both disciples of Tyr, we are both servants of Neverwinter.

Kinder: You’re both elven, and you yourself are sappy, and I dare say your speech is turning a tad purple I think.

Fenthick: We draw our strength from each other during these difficult times. In duty, in our faith and in our love we will find a way to beat the Wailing Death!

Reynaldo: Ten gold says he ends up dying.

Kinder: 20 gold says he gets offed because he gets played like a lute.

Nick: *mutters* 100 gold says otherwise you damn wizard.

Fenthick: Are… you making a wager about something I said?

Nick: No…. Tell me about Aribeth.

Fenthick: Aribeth is the shining light who must guide our way. She is a paladin of Tyr, and only her courage and devotion to Neverwinter surpass her grace and beauty.

Kinder: *gags*Man that was a lame line fit for a cheesy romance.

Reynaldo: Well, you already seem to be pouring on the whine a bit.

Nick: *rolls his eyes* Tell me about Desther.

Fenthick: Desther is a good man,

Kinder: Rotheshit!

Fenthick: though the Wailing Death weighs heavily on him. He does not serve Tyr as my Lady Aribeth or I do, but his devotion to Helm is most admirable. Desther and his Helmites have been tireless in their efforts to offer what comfort they can to those afflicted by the plague.

Reynaldo: With Desther’s attitude, he may be doing more harm than good.

Kinder: Reynaldo Moon, you are becoming enlightened.

Fenthick: I only wish Aribeth and Desther could set aside their personal differences. No matter which god we serve, we must all work together in these troubled times.

Nick: Sounds like you just want your best friend to get along with your girlfriend so you won’t hurt either of them.

Fenthick: Well…. That too…

Nick: Tell me more about the Waterdhavian Creatures.

Fenthick: Aribeth is the only one who has the authority to speak of such things freely. You will have to talk to her at the Halls of Justice.

Nick: Dammit. I will meet you at the Halls of Justice within the week then.

user posted image
And after Fenthick leaves, we get to level up again, and this time….

user posted image
We can select a bonus feat.

user posted image
So yeah, Nick gets better with disabling traps, healing his ass, identifying items, stealth, lock picking, persuasion, faking magic, getting things cheaper at the store, dodging, lying, and scaring people. Also, he can now wield two weapons at once without too much of a problem. So, woo!

user posted image
Nick: So, what the hells am I going to do for a week?

Next time, the start of the bonuses where we’ll see what gets to be done for the other three training sections, divine magic, arcane magic, and combat.

***Merged post!***

Okay, so, I’ve gotten a few comments about the Constitution increasing spell, that mention it being called “Bear’s Endurance.” Unfortunately, there is no potion of bear’s endurance, nor a spell by that name in game. However, there is a spell called simply, Endurance with a potion. My guess is that the programmer’s shortened the name for some reason, and it went from there. Now, while the prelude is over story wise, I still have to show you what happens in the tutorials for Combat, Arcane Magic Users, and Divine Magic Users/Healers. So, let’s kick that off already with the Divine Casters!

The Prelude, Part 9: The first bonus! Cleric/Druid exam.

user posted image
This lovely red head is Julia Benneson. Now, here are a few things to note about her:

1.The head model used is from an override file that added more options, and longer hair for the female characters. Unfortunately, the head is a little higher on the neck, making it look a little weird from certain angles.

2.Julia is from the jungles of Chult originally, and is a follower of Ubtao, the god of dinosaurs and creation in the forgotten realms. However, instead of a dinosaur’s head being his symbol, the guy is represented to his clerics with a maze, and a minor deity of the human pantheon, I think.
As a result, if you somehow end up with the mental image of David Bowie as the Dino God instead of the Goblin King… yeah I got nothing for that thought.

Now then, each character class gets different starting gear. Here is what Julia starts out with:

user posted image
The standard for all classes are a torch, and three potions of cure light wounds. Now, while Nick started with a short sword, a dagger, 2 traps that will never be used and some leather armor, Julia here gets studded leather armor, which is a higher armor class than normal leather and a little heavier, a mace, and a small shield. Now, since this is a magic using character, I can show you the spell book in the menu, and the spells Julia has as a divine caster.

user posted image
These are Julia’s cantrips, or very basic spells. On the left, you have the spell list, and on the right, you have an area where, if you are playing a cleric, druid, wizard, or paladin (They get spells later on.) you can pick what spells to use into spell slots. What do spell slots do? Well, Spell slots are what you can use to select specific spells for use per in game day. However, at the moment, we have only three slots for cantrips, meaning we can select up to 3 different spells to be used once. If you want to use a spell more than once though, you’ll have to select a spell, click either the arrow that pops up, or click the icon and drag it to the empty slot for its spell level. Now, you notice she has a spell for healing and inflicting wounds? Well, on most creatures, they do what exactly what it says. However, use these on an undead creature, and they’ll do the opposite. Now, in my opinion, if you have healing spells in your spell book, you put them in at least one slot. In this case, all three cantrip slots will be taken up by Cure Minor Wounds.

Now, let’s look at Julia’s first level spells:

user posted image
user posted image
It’s a lot, ain’t it? Now, while wizards, sorcerers and bards have to pick a limited number of spells each time they level up, with bards and sorcerers able to exchange spells they don’t want any more for an extra pick, Clerics and druids get all the spells they have for each level of magic at once. Now, you must be wondering what spell level must mean, right? Well, spell level is how powerful a spell is, and there are about nine levels a caster can gain access to as they grow stronger. However, there are ways to gain access to higher levels of magic a little earlier. One way is to increase Wisdom (for clerics and druids), Intelligence (Wizards), and Charisma (Sorcerers and Bards), when you get the chance to raise one stat every 4th level you reach. For people who are impatient though, there are items you can equip that will increase those for you when you equip them. Now, these items can either be found, or bought, and enchanted items that raise your abilities will have an indicator of +1 or higher after the name. I can’t remember what the highest number of points these items can have, but I think it would be up to +10. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Now, if I went over every spell Julia has listed in her spell book, this update will last forever, so I’ll just let you know what the ones I put in the spell slots do:

Cure Light Wounds- heals a little more damage than cure minor wounds.

Shield of Faith Increases a character’s AC by one I think, for about an in game hour per level.

Summon Creature I Summons a Dire Badger.

So, let’s see one of those spells in action, shall we?

user posted image
user posted image
That… is not a badger. That is a dire boar, which you can bring in on the second level version of this spell. If you are wondering why this happened, well, at the time I made took the screenshots, I sort of forgot I had picked the shaman cleric package for Julia, which lets her have an advantage in summoning creatures, which means that if she casts a level of Summon Creature, she’ll get the creature for the next level of that spell instead. However, this will not work for the ninth level, since that’s the most powerful level we’ll get until we go past level 20 in this game, and into Epic Levels. (Not happening in the OC.) Now that the technical stuff is out of the way, let’s get to the meat of the update!

one time skip later…
Note: between leaving the barracks and getting to the exam area, 3 books were found. Here are the contents of each:

History of the Creator Races
In a time when the North was always warm and the seas of the world were deeper, empires of inhuman peoples dominated the lands of Toril. In the elven tradition, these were the days when the Iquar’Tel’Quessir, or creator races, tamed the wilds, built towering cities of stone and glass on the shores of warm seas, spanned the wilderness with winding roads, and fought wars of extermination- such was their hatred toward each other. These were the Days of Thunder.

First of these ancient creators was a saurian race that built an extensive if short-lived civilization. Its survivors eventually became the naga, lizardfolk, troglodytes, and similar creatures.

Supreme among the creator races were the dragons, powerful enough to raid large cities of the other creator raves with impunity. Dragons dominated the surface world, claiming the vast area of territory and battling each other for land, mates, and status. The great drakes only suffered setbacks when the lesser races master magic, and they remain influential today despite the advances of such rabble.

Developing in the later stages of the civilization of the saurians was a race of amphibious shapechangers that crept onto the land to build their proud cities. These creatures contributed to the downfall of the saurian, but they themselves eventually fell into barbarism under pressure from sahuagin, merfolk, and tritons. The survivors of this race are the locathah and tako in the sea, and doppelgangers on the land.

Least known of the creator races are the sylvan people that populated the forests and other wooded areas, living in harmony with nature and leaving few traces. It is believed that their civilization fragmented after a great plague created by a draconic or demonic power. Their descendants are the sprites, korred, and other small woodfolk that populate secret parts of the Forgotten Realms today.

The last of the creator races, and the one that spent the longest time in a primitive state, are the humans. Always adaptable and ingenious, when circumstances allowed for their rise to prominence, humans make advances with incredible speed and efficiency. Of the five creator races, only they truly have civilization today. The dragons war with each other as individuals, and the other kinds have vanished from the world.

The Rise and Fall of Netheril
To the east, on the sandy shores of the calm and shining Narrow Sea, human fishing villages grew into the small towns and then joined together as the nation of Netheril. Sages believe the fishing towns were unified by a powerful human wizard who had discovered a book of great magic power that had survived from the Days of Thunder – a book that legend calls the Nether Scrolls. Under this nameless wizard and those who followed, Netheril rose in power and glory, becoming both the first human land in the North and the most powerful. Some say this discovery marked the birth of human wizardry, since before this time mankind had only shamans and witch doctors. For over 3,000 years Netheril dominated the North, but even its legendary wizards were unable to stop their final doom.

Doom for Netheril came in the form of a desert, devouring the Narrow Sea and spreading to fills its banks with dry dust and blowing sand. Legend states when the great wizards of Netheril realized their land was lost, they abandoned it and their countrymen, fleeing to all corners of the world and taking the secrets of wizardy with them. More likely, this was a slow migration that began 3,000 years ago, and reached its conclusion 1,500 years later.

Whatever the truth, wizards no longer dwelled in Netheril. To the north, the once-majestic dwarven stronghold of Delzoun fell upon hard days. Then the orcs struck. Orcs have always been foes in the North, surging out of their holes every few tens of generations when their normal haunts can no longer support their burgeoning numbers. This time they charged out of their caverns in the Spine of the World, poured out of abandoned mines in the Graypeaks, screamed out of lost dwarfholds in the Ice Mountains, raged forth from crypt complexes in the Nether Mountains, and stormed upward from the bowels of the High Moon Mountains. Never before or since has there been such an outpouring of orcs.

Interrupting here to make a comment: This was probably caused by a surge of DnD players making orcish characters, and this is someone’s jab at that.

Delzoun crumbled before this onslaught and was driven in on itself. Netheril, without its wizards, was wiped from the face of history. The Eastern elves alone withstood the onslaught, and with the aid of treants of Turlang and other unnamed allies, were able to stave off the final days of their land for yet a few centuries more.

In the east, Eaerlann built the fortress of Ascalhorn and turned it over to refuges of Netheril as Netherese followers built the town of Karse in the High Forest. The fleeing Netherese founded Llorkl and Loudwater. Others wandered the mountains, hills, and moors north and west of the High Forest, becoming ancestors of the Uthgardt and founders of Silverymoon, Everlund, and Sundabar.

And now the third and longest, file:
The Time of Troubles

When Ao cast out the gods from heaven, their avatars walked the earth, interacted with mortals (some more ruthlessly than others), and scrambled to find a way to return to their homes. Known as the Time of Troubles, the Godswar, or the Avatar Crisis, this period in the history of Faerun is the most chaotic in recent memory.

Sudden mortality wreaked havoc on the deities. Mystra was destroyed and her essence merged with the land, causing magic to function erratically and creating many areas of wild and dead magic. Gond the Wonderbringer fell to earth as a gnome on the shores of Lantan. Grateful for the sanctuary offered by the city, he taught its citizens the secrets of smoke-powder. Tymora appeared at her temple in Arabel, and it is thought that her presence spared the city from desctruction. Ibrandul, god of caverns, was slain by Shar and his portfolio stolen.

Helm retained his divine power and was commanded by Ao to guard the path back to the outer planes. Due to his success in this endeavor, blame for much of the Godswar’s destruction is laid at his feet. Malar battled Nobanion and was hunted by Gwaeron Windstrom. Shaundakul battled and destroyed the avatar of a minor orc deity. Sharess took the form of the favorite concubine of the pasha of Calimport and was liberated from the growing influence of Shar by Sune. The Red Knight appeared in Tethyr, helping that nation defeat monsters raiding the Wealdath. Hoar slew Ramman, Untheric god of war, but lost his foes portfolio to Anhur. Clangeddin Silverbeard battled Labelas Enoreth over a misunderstanding. Waukeen vanished and custody of her portfolio was claimed by her ally, Lliira. The avatar of the godling Iyachty Xvim, hald-demon offspring of Bane, was imprisoned under Zhentil Keep. Gilgeam, the god-king of Unther, was slain by his rival Tiamat, ending his two-millennia rule of that nation.

Bhaal, the god of murder, was greatly weakened at the time of the Godswar and existed only as a murderous force that could possess living beings. When Bane challenged Torm, the Black Lord slew all of the assassins in Faerun and absorbed their essence, further weakening Bhaal.

Forging an alliance with Myrkul, Bhaal kidnapped the mortal midnight and discovered one of the tablets of fate. But at the Boarskyr Bridge Bhaal was killed by the mortal Cyric with the sword Godsbane (the avatar of Mask). Cyric absorbed some of Bhaal’s power, while the rest went into the Winding Water, poisoning it.

Leira, goddess of deception and illusions, was slain by Cyric with Godsbane and her portfolio absorbed by him. Cyric later broke Godsbane, greatly weakening Mask.

Bane was destroyed by Torm during a battle in tantras, and his portfolio was given to Cyric by Ao. Torm himself was destroyed in the conflict with Bane, but because at the time his realm was actually Toril and because he died in sercive to his ethos (obedience and duty) lord Ao restored him to life and reinstated him as a deity.

Myrkul’s avatar battled Midnight, and she destroyed him. Midnight became the new incarnation of Mystra, absorbing some of the essence of the previous goddess from the land, Cyric became the new god of strife, tyranny, murder, and death, holding the portfolios of the slain Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul (years later he lost the portfolio of death to the mortal Kelemvor when he was temporarily driven mad by an artifact he created.)

The close of the Avatar Crisis brought a change to the way deities related to their followers. By Ao’s decree, a deity’s power is related to the number and fervor of his worshippers, and so deities could no longer afford to ignore their faithful. While the Godswar reshaped the land and altered the Faerunian pantheon dramatically, the accountability of divinity is the most powerful legacy of the Time of Troubles.

And now, finally, the Cleric Exam room:

user posted image
Julia: Ah! Here we are! I think I’ll talk to the others here before I speak to the instructor.

Let’s start with the gnome near our cleric there. I think it’s a gnome anyway, it might be a Halfling though. With the camera this far back, it’s difficult to tell the difference between the female models for gnomes and halflings since you can’t see how long the arms are. Why the arms? In this game, gnomes have longer arms than halflings. Seriously. That’s the best way to tell the difference between them.

user posted image
Julia: Hello.

user posted image
Julia: What’s your problem? I’m just trying to be friendly.

Tabitha: Please, I did not mean to give offense. But I have chosen to be a servant of Tyr and with such choice comes great responsibility. I must attend to my daily worship.

Julia: I won’t take much of your time. I promise.

Tabitha: I suppose it would be uncharitable of me to turn you away. But please do not take too much of my time. If I do not finish my devotions, I will not be allowed to meet Lady Aribeth.

Julia: I never realized the Tyrran faith was so strict. Thank the Father of the Dinosaurs I chose to became a Mazewalker… and only have to pray at noon. Why do you want to meet Lady Aribeth?

Tabitha: Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande is a paragon of our faith. She is a devoted servant of Tyr, a sworn defender of Neverwinter, and a true champion of justice. Her light shines like a beacon in these dark times. I pray the graduates gathered in the south assembly hall appreciate what an honor it is to receive a blessing from her person. It is truly a rare opportunity.

Julia: I think this is why Ubtao made that arrangement with the other pantheons that allowed him to be the sole deity of Chult… it seems the followers of the other deities are a few eggs short of a dinosaur nest. How do you like training here at the Academy?

Tabitha: The worship of Tyr is a difficult path, but we who have the faith know the trials of service are their own reward. And whenever my weak flesh falters, I need only look to Lady Aribeth for inspiration. I hope she has the time to come by the Temple later so I can meet her in person.

Julia: Okay, she’s starting to creep me out a little… back away slowly, and don’t make eye contact. I think I’ll be going now.

user posted image
Unfortunately, Tabitha never does meet Aribeth, due to getting killed by goblins, and perhaps with how much hero worship she had for the elf, it was probably for the best. Now, let’s talk to the other person in here before talking with the instructor.

user posted image
Julia: I sense a stick in this man’s backside. Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt.

Ansel: Forgive me. I did not mean to be so harsh, but I am very busy. Elynwyd, my mentor in the divine arts has ordered me to make preparations for us to honor Lady Aribeth’s arrival.

Julia: Reasonable explanation I won’t take much of your time, I promise.

Ansel: I suppose I can spare a few minutes for you. My heart is not in the preparations to honor Lady Aribeth, anyway. A waste of time, in my opinion.

Julia: I think that stick I sensed might be a large one. What do you have against Lady Aribeth?

Ansel: Many regard Aribeth de Tylmarande as a champion of Tyr and a defender of our faith, but where does she seek salvation during these difficult times? In the works of the wizard Khelben Arunsun! For the sake of Neverwinter, I hope her folly brings us a cure for the Wailing Death. But in my heart I know the will of the divine alone can save us. Aribeth’s misguided efforts will only prolong our suffering. Knowing this, how can I join the others who praise and fawn over her? But Aribeth has authority in this matter, and I am only a lowly acolyte. So I perform my duties as ordered.

Hey, what’s wrong with arcane casters? They can be just as awesome as your normal sword swinging heroes!

Julia: A very large stick. How do you like training here at the Academy?

Ansel: The path of worship is demanding. Only those who are strong in their faith have the strength to persevere and complete their training.

Julia:Make that a sapling… for a palm tree.

Ansel: But my faith is strong and true. I live to serve the divine will, and I will not abandon my beliefs as others – like Lady Aribeth – seem to have done.

Julia: Nevermind, he has a coconut tree bearing fruit stuck up there. I think I’ll be going now.

user posted image
Julia:There’s a phrase back home for people like him. What was it again? Oh yes, Yuan-ti bait.

And Ansel never got that tree out of his rear end because goblins killed him.

Now, while playing, I found out that the treasure you find is different each time, so when we loot the desk right behind him, we find something different than what Nick did:

user posted image
As you can see, I got some things off screen as well, the bullets and the potion of barkskin came from the starting area, and a chain shirt from the tutorial store. Now, let’s stop stalling and get to the exam! I’m sure you guys have been waiting this whole update to see that, right? Anyway, let’s talk to the instructor, whose name is difficult for me to pronounce:

user posted image
Elynwyd: No doubt you have come to the chapel to complete your instruction. By all accounts, you have shown great promise in your studies so far. I have no doubt you will do the Academy proud once your training is complete.

Julia: Well, at least he isn’t uptight like Ansel, or a fanatic like Tabitha.

Elynwyd: Before you proceed to the Trials of Faith, Julia, I will give you a final tutorial in the casting of divine spells. Ready?

Julia: Ready.

user posted image
Elynwyd: Before casting a spell, you must first access your spell list. You can’t try it now or you’ll interrupt our conversation and have to start over. Just listen to what I have to say and you can try it later. To access your spell list, press the “B” key or left-click on the SPELLBOOK icon below your character portrait. This will bring up your spell list menu. The left side of the menu is a list of all the spells available to you from your deity, *mumbles* unless you’re a druid, stlarning tree huggers, *stops mumbling* the right side is spells you have prayed for and prepared. Click and drag the spells you want to prepare from your spell list over to your prepared spells page. Don’t forget that you’ll have to rest before the spells are prepared.

Julia: Got it.

Yeah, something I forgot to mention earlier, in order to recharge spells, you need to rest. However, you cannot rest during battle, while enemies are nearby, or in some fan made modules under certain circumstances set by the person who made it. These other circumstances include time limits between rests or being unable to rest unless in a designated safe area (these are rare in fan made mods, being in only one I’ve played so far, and even then, there were like 3 such areas, so it wasn’t exactly mage friendly).

user posted image
Elynwyd: You can rest by left-clicking the “Rest” box. The “Rest” box is on the lower left beneath your character portrait, and is marked with the icon of a closed eyelash. Whenever you rest, your spells will replenish themselves. Lower level spells replenish first and more quickly; higher level spells take longer. If you have the spells loaded into your quickbar, you will see their icons highlight as they get refreshed. Remember to rest often, but don’t forget that you cannot rest while in combat.

Julia: Well, if I did rest during combat, I’d be a sitting raptor Go on.

user posted image
Elynwyd: Non-target spells will cast automatically after you select them, using either the quickbar or the menu system., but many spells requite a target – a creature, an object, or even a spot on the ground. After selecting a targeting spell using using the quickbar, your cursor will change to display the spell icon. To then cast the spell simply left-click with your cursor on the target. You can also cast spells without using the quickbar by right-clicking on your target before casting a spell. This brings up a menu you can use to select the spell to be cast at the creature or object you clicked on.

Julia: Good. Got it.

user posted image
Elynwyd: This will bring up the special abilities menu. Click on the priestly ability icon in the bottom left of the menu to access your priestly special abilities. The most important priestly ability you have is the ability to turn undead. Simply click on the icon from the special priest ability menu to use this ability.

Julia: Okay. What else?

user posted image
Julia: I am ready for the Trials of Faith.

user posted image
Elynwyd: Then, you must use your ability to turn undead to defeat the skeleton on the north wall. Return to me once the task is complete, Julia. I shall wait here to see how you fare.

And so the test begins. Erm, unfortunately, while collecting screenshots, my timing was off and I only ended up getting images of completing the first half of the exam, and failed to capture ANY of the undead turning. I am very, very, very sorry about that! So, I am forced not to show the exam itself due to being too lazy to try and go back and get the images needed, and I will have to skip to post exam completion message:

user posted image
user posted image
Note: If you are playing a druid, you only get to heal the guy , and get a magic ring that raises your fortitude, which is used to help defend against being poisoned or getting disease. As a cleric, we get chainmail.

Julia: Goodbye.

user posted image
And that’s that for the update! Next time, it’s the Arcane Caster exam!

--------------------
Characters:
PM Email
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D || Teen Titans GO~ || The Games

Disclaimer: using the Split Lock skin by DoubleXXCross will not give you a suit of armour.
But even if it did, you can still very much get shot in the face.