photo the_inter.png

<% NEWS %>
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

» Let's Play Neverwinter Nights!, See me fail in my first LP EVER!
Auragongal
 Posted: Nov 24 2012, 09:24 PM
Renowned

N/A

Group: Character Moderator
Member No.: 7

Alright, so, this is something I considered doing on and off since I read an NWN 2 LP on the LP Archive. Why? Because I'm crazy, and it sounds like an entertaining thing to do, right? Also, if I do this well enough, it will hopefully double as a bit of a crash course to the Forgotten Realms in case a)members here want to try their hand at making a character from FR and don't remember/don't know much about it outside of Drizzt, cool.gif people want to make a thread in the Forgotten Realms, or c) any future new members this place gets wondering just how using a character from a DnD setting is allowed here.

Now then, with the reasoning out of the way, Let's see that title screen, and go through... EXPOSITION!
user posted image

The year is 1372 DR. Danger lurks everywhere in Faerun, and a call to heroes has been sent out from the City of Neverwinter. The city known as "The Jewel of the North" has been hit with a plague, and is in need of a cure, or else all is lost. However, there is more than just this tale. In Hillsfar, a school has been attacked by Kobolds, while in Waterdeep, the local dungeon of Undermountain has been invaded by the drow of the Underdark. A town besieged is in need of a new ruler. A lone survivor of a war wanders the land, searching for answers. A member of a secret group of warriors discovers a conspiracy and must work to save the kingdom. A case of mistaken identity leads to a quest to save a friend. Pirates on the Sword Coast band together to find the cause of a series of storms.

These are just a few examples of what stories await you. There are many, many more hidden in the most unlikely places. However, one must know where to look to find adventure and forge their legend.Betrayal, romance, alliances forged, friends lost, and adventures leading to places you have rarely dreamed of await you. Create your hero. Create your story. Welcome to Faerun, adventurer...

The game Neverwinter Nights was originally released in 2002, and was developed by Bioware. Based off the 3rd edition rules of DnD, you, the player, could create a character, play in the campaign, and the expansions added in later releases, play through the three extra modules, or, using the toolset that was installed with the game itself, make your own modules and share them online. Also you can download and play through modules made by other players.

What I am doing:
In this LP, I plan on playing through the Original Campaign, Shadows of Undrentide, and, my personal favorite for a certain reason, Hordes of the Underdark... okay, two reasons, but still, I love it. However, I will also make decisions based on what you, the readers want to see. So, if you want to see me do a straight and pure run of the game without doing any sidequests, or do as many side quests as I can, let me know. However, since this is Diamond Edition, and certain quests have some... high level monsters, I won't be doing those quests with the character made for this LP. I might do bonuses featuring those quests with a high leveled character, as well as side quests available only to certain classes, if I do not have a character for a specific class already made, or if the character with the needed class isn't powerful enough, I will use one of the pre-made characters already programmed into the game for these. Also, if you guys want to see them, I will do interludes featuring other characters I made in the game going through fan made mods. Think of these as "Heroes of Another Story" sort of things.

Also, this will be a screenshot LP.

What I will NOT be doing:
I am not going to do the Kingmaker Expansion that was included with Diamond edition. Why? Because it requires an internet connection for the three modules included in it to be playable, which, due to Hughesnet having a data allowance, it will make updates for those very, very, very slow.

I am also not going to play on a difficulty setting higher than Easy. The reason for this is because I am not that good a gamer, and I am afraid of how the AI will be if I go over Normal difficulty.

Finally, while I will let you guys choose which henchmen I take with me in the LP, there will be ONE instance where you won't get to choose. That is the Beggar's Nest section of the OC's first chapter. I am bringing the cleric with me as back up, even if you guys have me make a cleric. This is final.

Anyway, now that I've explained how I'll be doing this, let's get started with the first important thing I'll need your guys input on.

CHARACTER CREATION
user posted image
Gender is Boy or Girl, and therefore obvious.

user posted image
Race is what our hero will be, and what characteristics they will have. These characteristics are racial modifiers, as each race will have different strengths and weaknesses. Subrace is a bit more specific, and you must first click on a race option before clicking Subrace. Otherwise, when you get to the final step, the character will have a human model instead of what model you want. Like for example, elf model for a drow character. While some mods might support and have special things set for sub races, the Official Campaigns don't, and Subrace will really just act as a special label. May change what NPCs say from what I look at, but other than that, no special things.

Quick rundown:
-Human: Us. We are adaptable, short lived compared to other races, and there is no specific favored class, as we can be whatever class we want. Well balanced really. Subrace appearing in the game are Tieflings, which are humans with horns, and a fiendish ancestry.

-Elf: Known for their skills in the arts, and battle. Usually live to at least 700 years old, and by human standards are slow to make friends and enemies, and even slower to let go of a grudge. Their favored class is Wizard, and when multiclassing wizards will not get a penalty for it. They have a +2 boost to Dexterity, and a -2 penalty to Constitution. They are immune to sleep spells/effects, get a +2 bonus to saves against mind affecting spells as well as checks made with listen, search, and spot, can use a longsword, rapier, and both short and long bows regardless of class, does not need to stop and search an area, and finally can see in the dark a little better than humans. Subraces in this game are Drow, and Moon Elves, which are the default from what I've been reading.

-Dwarves: Bearded warriors who can see in the dark, loyal to their friends, and of course, have a high capacity for getting drunk. They are resilient to poison, spells, know their lore, and have a better chance against orcs, goblinoids and Giants than Elves and Humans. Subraces showing up in the game are Shield (Good) and Druegar (underdark natives, not very nice.)

-Halflings: Hobbits, live to 150 usually, and are clever and capable rogues. Also known as "Hin", members of this race are lucky, have good aim, and hard to hit. Unfortunately, they cannot use large weapons or tower shields. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell the subraces, if any that show up in the game apart, so, no subraces will be listed.

-Gnomes:Living for 350-500 years, Gnomes are... best considered as Faerun's race of mad scientist wizards, or being just plain weird. They love animals, gems, jokes, pranks, and learning by experience. Subraces in game are Rock (standard) and Svirfneblim, or deep gnomes from the Underdark, and surprisingly, much nicer than the rest of the place.

-Half-elves: the offspring of elves and humans, while they live only up to 180 years, they have ambition and curiosity like humans, and a love of nature like elves. However, they are outsiders to both races, and are classified as their own separate race. Also can be whatever class they want like humans can without XP penalties.

-Half-orc: The offspring of humans and orcs. Usually used as tank characters. Not very smart, not very pretty, love to fight.

user posted image

Class is what our hero does for a living.

Barbarians:Raging warriors, best to be on their good side or else you may end up dead. Cannot be lawful. At all.
Bards: A jack of all trades, and master of none, also spoony.
Cleric: Divine casters, can turn undead, wear heavy armor, and people you should always stay on the good side of.
Druids: With the power of nature behind them, these divine casters can heal, blow stuff up, and they get an animal companion as well as bring in back up with the summon creature spell. However, they must be neutral in some way.
Fighter: You're basic warrior. You hit things, they go down.
Monk: They hit things, they hit them hard. Must wear light armor, work best bare handed, must be lawful.
Paladin: Holy warrior. Like clerics, they can heal and turn undead. However, they are always Lawful Good.
Ranger: Hunters and warriors who protect nature, they work as guides and trackers, and have an animal companion.
Rogue: Sneaky, sneaky. Stabby, stabby. Rogues are your thieves. They steal, disable traps, pick locks, etc. etc.
Sorcerer: Those with a natural talent for magic, they cast spells based on their good looks. The higher the Charisma, the more stuff they can blow up. However, the spells they can obtain are limited.
Wizard: The other arcane caster. Unlike Sorcerers, they need to study to gain power. The higher their intelligence, the more powerful they are. Unfortunately, neither arcane caster is more durable than the other. Both are squishy.

user posted image
Alignment is on what side the hero(or villain) will be on.

user posted image
Abilities is what our hero is strong/weak in.
Strength is how hard they'll hit, and how much they carry.
Dexterity is how agile they are, and how well they move in armor.
Intelligence is how smart they are, and offers extra skill points for leveling up.
Wisdom is used for druid/cleric/paladin spell casting. I can't remember ATM what else it's used for.
Constitution is health and resistance against disease/poison, and the effects of alchohol.
Charisma is how good you look, how persuasive you are, and it's what clerics and Paladins rely on for turning undead.

As for what I didn't go over, portraits are a little ingame picture for our hero that does nothing, Packages are little premade skillsets you can pick from for your Character, and vary between classes, and customization means deciding hair/skin/tattoo color (which can be any color), age, name, and optional backstory as well as voice set... that last one not mattering anyway since this is a screenshot LP.

ANYWHO! People who want to see more of this, just post all but the abilities (plan on defaulting really), package choice, and portrait, and I'll decide our hero. Also, little form thing for organization:

Name
Race
Class
Alignment
Hair color
Skin color
Tattoo color(optional, but I do have extra heads in the game's override folder and the way their done, eye color is customizable through this.)

--------------------
Characters:
Legode Rydrion, the Blue Skinned Druid(Please keep in mind that while Legode is female, she looks highly bifauxnen/ manly in appearance. She never really developed in the chest area. Also has a Dire Wolf as her druidic animal companion. Do not call said companion a puppy/treat him like a house pet.)
Drizzt Do'Urden(Canon Character)
Aria Token(Mute, Hotblooded, Battling Ballerina)
PM Email
^
Spork
 Posted: Nov 24 2012, 09:49 PM
Newcomer

N/A

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3

Oh yay, driving a story that isn't mine? This should be fun, I'll give it a go, Aura.

Name - Brawly McFacepuncher

Age - 113 Years

Gender - Male

Race - Hobbit

Class - Monk

Alignment - Lawful Neutral (Brawly is a pure hearted merc, but his first love is that of punching, and punching things hard enough to get paid for them. He protects the weak, and ensures evildoers face justice. He's like a shorter, older, grumpier Batman, minus all the gadgets.)

Hair color - Grey

Skin color - Pale white

Tattoo color - Red. (Eye Color - Blue)
PM Email
^
Lancereiger
 Posted: Nov 24 2012, 10:22 PM
Experienced

N/A

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

Name - Punchus Maximus

Age - 34 Years

Gender - Male

Race - Human

Class - Monk

Alignment - Lawful Neutral

Hair color - Black

Skin color - Pale white

Tattoo color - Blue. (Eye Color - Red)

STATS:

STR: 15
DEX: 13
CON: 12
INT: 10
WIS: 13
CHA: 10

I think you can afford that. If there's left over, INT and CHA are the dump stats for a Monk, so pump CON and WIS if you can. If not, then allocate whatever can't be put into STR, DEX, CON and WIS go into INT or CHA.

--------------------
New Forum, New Heroes! Where will our adventures take us?

Roster:
Lance A Kamen Rider and His Blob.
Cexlan Anomalous Jacka**.
Dekar The Undying Knight.
Bass The Perfect Robot Master.
Shaia The Inventor Interference.
PM
^
KRWizard
 Posted: Nov 25 2012, 07:00 PM
Survivor

N/A

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

Name: Nicholas "Sly" Cooper
Race: Human
Class: Rogue
Alignment: Neutral Good
Hair color: Brown
Skin color: Tan
Tattoo color(optional, but I do have extra heads in the game's override folder and the way their done, eye color is customizable through this.): None
Eye color: Green
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Nov 26 2012, 01:36 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 8

Not sure on names or anything, but I'm voting for a human cleric!

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
quatermass
 Posted: Nov 26 2012, 03:37 PM
Survivor

N/A

Member No.: 15

Name: Cragforge Ironbeard

Race: Dwarf (If the name didn't give it away)

Class: Barbarian

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Hair color: Red

Skin color: Tan

Tattoo color: Blue
PM
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Nov 26 2012, 08:26 PM
Renowned

N/A

SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED! Here are our Heroes (Spoilered due to Size stretching the thread.):
SPOILER(Show/Hide)
user posted image

VOTE FOR OUR HERO!

Edit: Whoops! Forgot to put when voting will end. Voting will go on until Friday morning, at 10AM Central. Also, just put your vote in a post here on the thread, or a PM to me.

--------------------
Characters:
Legode Rydrion, the Blue Skinned Druid(Please keep in mind that while Legode is female, she looks highly bifauxnen/ manly in appearance. She never really developed in the chest area. Also has a Dire Wolf as her druidic animal companion. Do not call said companion a puppy/treat him like a house pet.)
PM Email
^
KRWizard
 Posted: Nov 27 2012, 04:35 PM
Survivor

N/A

I may be a bit biased on this but I'm voting for Nicholas.
PM
^
Chaos
 Posted: Nov 27 2012, 10:22 PM
Newcomer

N/A

Member No.: 17

Ill vote for the Cleric
PM Email AIM
^
Lancereiger
 Posted: Nov 28 2012, 06:44 AM
Experienced

N/A

Punchus for me.

(Oh gee, this vote will go somewhere fast. NOT. tongue.gif )

--------------------

Roster:
PM
^
Millie Sentinal
 Posted: Nov 29 2012, 08:14 PM
Sage

N/A

Member No.: 16

I'll vote for Kinder, I want to see what he's capable of.

--------------------
Millie Sentinal ()
Kantia Rose (Quiet shy girl, that can forge weapons out of the hearts of her allies.)
Sakuya Izayoi (The Perfect and Elegant Maid of the Scarlet Mansion.)
Exsila (Heartless of Alexis Sentinal, and controls a few Heartless.)
Jacob Signar
Xia
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Nov 30 2012, 04:31 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Kindeeeeeeeeeeeeer

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Spork
 Posted: Nov 30 2012, 04:46 AM
Newcomer

N/A

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3

(Swappin' a vote)

Kindeeeeeer
PM Email
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Nov 30 2012, 09:33 AM
Renowned

N/A

Due to an eyedoctor appointment at 11:15, voting has been extended to when I get home, which will most like be later this afternoon due to mom wanting to go to lunch after the appointment. Also, Kinder has recently gotten 2 votes, putting him in second place to Nicholas.

Anyway, as a reminder, once this LP starts, there will be some quests I won't be able to do with the LP hero, and those will have to be done in bonus updates done at the end of chapter. So far, mainly because I can't remember all of the quests very well at the moment, here is what won't be done right away due to things like character class or needing a much higher level to do. And this includes the ones that will depend on who wins on whether or not it gets done as a bonus or in the main story:

The Prelude's "Exam Tutorials" (All depend on the class of the character.)
1. Battle exams. (Fighters, barbarians, paladins, monks. The melee guys.)
2. The healing exam. (Clerics and Druids.)
3. Arcane Exam. (Sorcerers and Wizards.)
4. The Rogue Exam.

I do not know what Bards get to do in the prelude since they can do a bit of everything in the game.

Chapter 1:
1. The Crypts of Neverwinter. This Quest is a treasure hunt that has you gather artifacts regarding the city's founder, Halueth Never for the Temple of Tyr. The Quest starts off in the Prison district, and the remaining four areas each have one of the items needed to complete it, 3 of the areas having crypts, while the fourth is hidden in the city core. This quest will not be done due to Diamond Edition having you fight monsters that would murder a low level hero... repeatedly, and will be shown in a bonus update at the end of the chapter. However, if you want to see it done by our hero anyway, please say so, and I'll show the highlights of the item gathering in each area once it starts.

2. The Mage Guild quest. This quest is only available to Arcane Casters. If our hero is not a wizard/sorcerer, this will be done as a bonus update.

3. The Great Tree. This quest is given to Rangers/Druids. It involves going to the Noble District's Zoo, and after some murder negotiations, getting the animals out. Since it doesn't seem too likely our hero will be Merebo, this will be an end of chapter update... unless I can convince the NPC to give it to a non druid/ranger... or something.

In all three chapters of the Original Campaign, the six possible henchmen you can pick from all have a story to tell and an item they need you to retrieve once those stories are told. Unfortunately, these stories are told a little at a time as you level up. I might not be able to do them all because when I played the Gold Edition of the game, the stories were put on hold in Chapter 2 because some how, no matter how much I leveled up, the henchmen wouldn't tell anything past the beginning and just remind the player to proceed with the plot. I don't know if this is the case in Diamond, what I'm Lping, so, if I come across what the henchmen need when they haven't told me they needed them yet, I'll most likely just let you guys know, and tell you what you get out of it.

Also, as this game was made by Bioware, there are Romance Options. There's at least 2, I think, in the Original Campaign, and 3 in Hordes of the Underdark. I'll do my best to do bonus updates with how the Romance Options available in each game proceed, especially in Hordes. Why Hordes specifically? If our hero is a girl, the Romance option is a red headed tiefling with a lot of Fangirls by the name of Valen Shadowbreath... and yes, I'm one of those fans.

So, anyway, that's all I have to add. I'll announce the winner when I get back, and in the meantime, post your opinions about what you want to see once the actual LP starts, any questions you might have, and finally, any Forgotten Realms Trivia you can think of. Because there will be quite a few references to the FR Novels, especially The Legend of Drizzt. However, unlike in Baldur's Gate, none of R.A. Salvatore's Characters (As far as I know) actually show up in the main campaigns.

Oh yeah, if you haven't voted yet or want to change your vote, please do so. Here's to a (hopefully) entertaining LP!

EDIT: Voting is now closed! Here are the results:

Last Place, with no votes: Merebo Bren, Nurzha, Cragforge Ironbeard, Meela the Foul Tempered, Dave Thunderbow, Paula Lightfoot, and Mara Ders.
Fourth Place, with 1 vote each: Brawly McFacepuncher, Frin Leathedge, Punchus Maximus, Julia Benneson, Levoll Fortunefoot, and Arlene Lupus.
Third Place with 2 votes: Cortanna Milltall.
Second place, with 3 votes: Kinder Rydrion.

And finally, in first place, is, Nicholas "Big Boss"/"Sly"/"Fury" Cooper!
ALRIGHT! Now, for the first official update for the LP! Starting with the Original Campaign.

The Prelude, part 1: In which we meet our hero, and take our final exam.

Opening movie, as Narrated by someone trying to imitate either Corey Burton and the guy who voiced Goliath from Gargoyles at the same time:
user posted image
Faerun: Also known as the home land of Drizzt, Elminster, Volothamp Geddarm, and some of the most nightmarish things in existence, not to mention part of a world that seems to be in danger every other two weeks... Especially in the Sword Coast region

user posted image
Bleak? Pretty sure bleakness is associated with wastelands... not a place with a forest. Also, I think that guy should really watch his back right there.

user posted image
Wait, what about the other settlements on the map? And, I think "Frozen Savagery" describes Icewind Dale better than this area.

user posted image
Any man with a stache like that, and wears a breastplate on his bare chest, is usually in charge for a reason. Of course, in the movie that plays at the game's start up, a young Nasher Alagondar forges a sword, hunts down a minotuar, and kills it. On. His. Own. Also... what's with that scar looking mess on his arm?

user posted image
That's.... foreboding...

user posted image
Ewwww.... It looks as painful as it sounds... Also, if it starts in a place called the "Beggar's Nest", there's probably a good reason for it...

user posted image
Note: if a cleric/druid can't heal it, they either need to be a higher level, or it's part of the dreaded family of fantasy setting viruses (Viri?) known as Plotcitus.

user posted image
Lady Aribeth either needs an Aspirin, or she's facepalming at the fact that as a rule, local authorities can't do anything, and must rely on adventurers from out of town.

user posted image
And then there were the ones lured in by the fact she's showing cleavage with that armor. Also, I see an elf with a mohawk.

user posted image
Those that didn't make it in went elsewhere to have awesome adventures, or died when they decided to take on Undermountain
(Continued from the last post due to the image limit.)
user posted image
Ah conspiracies... those are always fun to throw a wrench into!

Anyway, it is the year 1372, on the sixth month of the year. The Prelude begins on the final exam day before our hero graduates the academy...

user posted image
Nicholas: "It will be fine." he said, "You're just going to pick up an artifact from a friend." he said! "What could possibly happen?" he said. But what ends up happening? A damn plague breaks out, and I find out the guy I'm supposed to meet lost the damn artifact and by Tymora's Grace, I end up getting drafted... This. Cannot. Get. Any. Worse...

???: I wouldn't say that if I were you. The curse of Murphy tends to go crazy when that line's mentioned for Adventurers.

Nick: What? Oh no...

user posted image
Nick: How in the nine hells are you talking to me?! Hells Kinder, how did you even know where I was?!

Kinder: Hm? Easy. I enchanted your eyepatch. I've been watching you since you left Riftwood, and everything you see and hear, I do too! Anyway, since you seem to have gotten yourself into something big, I've decided to give advice, information, and hints on what to do. In short, I'm going to be the Otacon to your Solid Snake!

Nick: What? That sounds wrong... Wait... When did you even enchant my eyepatch?! Especially since I sleep with my dagger on hand.

Kinder: Well... Remember when my sister in law, Bethany, punched you through a wall when you hit on her? I did it while you were unconscious!

Nick: By Tymora's Grace, wizard! How was I supposed to know she was married?! *grumbles* and after I lost my eye saving you from that aboleth...

Kinder: Now, now, Nicky,~ you may have saved my magical ass, but you still signed a contract. And according to that contract, you had a choice of Field Research, or personally feeding Mr. Fuzzykins, my pet Intellect Devourer, as well as the rest of the monsters in my Tower Basement~

Nick:Blast you and your Svirfneblim Lawyer of yours. Also, never call me Nicky.

Kinder: Alright, alright! Geeze, what a sour puss... anywho, I'm going to keep quiet for now, I'm about to take out a fiend and then I might just finally get the girl in the form of this sweet little red head who gave me an amulet and told me to come see her when this was over... Later!

Nick:... I hate that guy.
user posted image
Alright, here is the interface for the game. In the upper right, we have our character's portrait, Health Bar, and the icons under that are the Map, Inventory, Journal, Character sheet, Rest, Spell Book, Options, and Player List. The last one we can't really use, because while NWN does have online capabilities and you can create a server to play with friends, this is single player mode, and my connection would probably not be any good anyway due to me having Hughesnet. Anway, here's the rundown on what the other buttons do:
Map: This is a given. Also, the shortcut for this is the "M" key.

Inventory: This is our stuff. More on that in a bit. Pressing "I" on the keyboard is the shortcut.

Journal: keeps track of quests we recieve in a module, and of the ones we completed as well. Opening our journal right now though, gives us this:

user posted image
This is our only quest at the moment, and as you can see, it has the date for inside the game. As some quests get updated, this date will change. The journal can also be used to take down notes, which is useful for when things happen that keep you from playing for a while (like exams) and you need a recap. Personally, I use the journal to write what happens from the character's point of view, and that is useful in RPing... that, and writing for characters I think as being completely crazy, like Kinder, is just fun as hell. Cam also be accessed with the "J" key.

Character Sheet: Keeps track of the character's stats, skills, and abilities. I'll go more into detail on this one in a later update, like when we finally get a chance to level up. See, in the tutorial, we don't get to level up until after a certain point, and we don't get our experience points until then either.
Rest: This causes the character to rest. Letting them heal, recover any spells they used up if they have any, and most of the time, get rid of status effects. This does not work well for disease, or stat decreases sometimes... but, there are however potions for sale that can be used instead. Pressing "C" on the keyboard works too when getting this on screen.

Spell Book: For casters, this keeps a list of spells that the character can use. Level one characters start off with minor spells called Cantrips. But, as they level up, they can get more. However, this is were Arcane and Divine casters are split. Divine casters (Druids, Clerics, and Paladins) get their spells for each new level all at one time, and they can switch them out in their spell slots, rest, and be able to use them at any time. On the other hand, Arcane Casters (Wizards, Sorcerers and Bards) can only select a limited number of spells from the spell list at level up, and add them to their book. Unfortunately, if you get tired of a certain spell being in your list, you can only change them out at level up as well. For the classes that can't use magic, this is kind of pointless unless the character multiclasses. Also, there are scrolls you can find or buy that a character can use (if they are A) the correct class, or cool.gif have points in the "Use Magical Device" skill, which rogues do.) that can help as well. This can be seen by pressing "B" on the key board.

Options: This is the pause menu. You can switch how the camera works, save your game and character, load a game when you want to play a different character you have a file for, and adjust settings like volume, violence (will be looked at later), and difficulty. Now, for difficulty, there are four setttings: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Hardcore. Easy is good for first time players, Normal is the standard, Hard makes it more likely to rage quit, and the last one... I believe it can be best equated to "Oh *insert deity of choice here* why?!" In this LP, we are taking it Easy. Why? Because in the past, Normal was the hardest difficulty setting for me. This can also be accessed by the "O" key.

At the bottom of the screen, we have the following:
Quick bar: These slots will be used for quick access for items, spells, and skills that will see a lot of use. There are three bars total, the base one we see on screen, and two others that can be accessed by the Shift and Ctrl keys on the keyboard. For casters, this will be your best friend.
Chat Log: This keeps track of what's said in the game, when the game is paused/unpaused, and what happens in battle. As you can see, the game automatically paused and unpaused while I was taking screenshots. Pressing "Enter" will also let you type something in the talk bar... just, make sure the cursor is in the bar, otherwise, if you pause and click on something and then try to finish typing, you'll end up with the game screen showing you your stats or the options menu.
Compass: shows which direction is which. This adjusts itself when the camera moves, so it's a very useful thing to have to avoid getting lost. Also, hovering over it shows the current in-game date and time.

Other Controls for the game:
W: walk forward
S: Walk backward.
A: turn left.
D: turn right.
E: Strafe right
Q:Strafe left.
Spacebar: Pause/unpause.
Esc: leave conversations/skip cutscenes
up/down arrow keys: Zoom in/out with the camera.
right/left arrow keys: change camera position.
Left click: talk/attack/select
Right click: Opens Radial menu. I'll go into this more next update.
Mousewheel: adjusts camera like the arrow keys.

Alright, now that that's done, let's finally take a look at our inventory:

user posted image
Alright, up top is our current equipment. AC is our defense, and the higher it is, the more Nick can take. 12, in game terms, is a little squishy. AC can be increased by better armor, shields, helmets, certain amulets, bracers, cloaks, and boots. Rings and amulets are accessories. Anyway, surrounding the armor slot, are the weapons and ammo slots. The larger weapon slot is the main weapon. The smaller one is for shields, off hand weapons, and torches. Ammo is split into three groups: Arrows, Bullets, and Bolts. Arrows are used with bows, Bullets with slings, and Bolts with crossbows. All three can be bought in groups of 99, or you can find them scattered around in barrels, chests, and on enemies. Of course, some types can only be gained with the second option... so... yeah.

Anyway, below that is our inventory. Those six tabs on the side are the pockets in Nick's Bag. Fortunately, you can buy magic bags to hold stuff so you can have a bit more room in your main inventory, and to help organize things better. Right now, our inventory consists of Leather armor, short sword, dagger, a lock pick which can be used to help unlock items easier, a kit for a spike trap (which is never going to be put to use and either dumped somewhere or sold when I'm able to... most shops won't buy traps.) Now, since those three potions are just taking up space separately...

user posted image
That's better. Unfortunately, it seems this update is getting a little long, so, I'll have to stop here, and add to the LP tomorrow. Uh... yay for at least getting started?

--------------------
Characters:
PM Email
^
KRWizard
 Posted: Dec 8 2012, 01:46 PM
Survivor

N/A

Looking good. I can't wait to see you get on with this LP.
PM
^
Lancereiger
 Posted: Dec 8 2012, 02:12 PM
Experienced

N/A

Looking good! I can't really say much right now because the hero is just getting started, so...yeah.

Can't wait for the next update!

--------------------

Roster:
PM
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Dec 8 2012, 06:22 PM
Renowned

N/A

Alright, after getting Bandicam, and rerunning the Prelude a bit to get some areas I missed while getting shots for the first update, it's time to continue! Also, from now on, Kinder's comments will be in italics, since he'll be giving character descriptions/item details for all but the basic weapons/commentary and lampshade hangings until he shows up in the mage exam bonus... and maybe I'll use him in the first interlude as well. Also colored text will be our hero's thoughts in both the Campaigns, and the interludes. At the end of this update, I'll provide a list of characters and modules I'm thinking of doing for inbetween chapters and between the campaigns. If you are interested in any of the interludes, please let me know.

The Prelude, Part 2: Assholishness, Info, Shopping, and Don't Call Me Shirley.
Last time, we went over the basics and just stayed in the Nick's room, who was fuming the whole time about Kinder breaking into his story via an MGS joke. This time, let's finally leave our hero's room. Where we are met by this guy, who sounds (to me anyway) like Optimus Prime in Transformer's animated.
user posted image
Kinder: This man looks at you expectantly, ready for your questions. He is the spitting image of the man standing next to him. In other words, this is an excuse to explain people using the same NPC model.

Nicholas: What?

Kinder: Nothing. Just listen to what he has to say. It's always good to gather information, right?

Nicholas: I hate this guy...

Guy: Finally, you're up. I was afraid you were going to sleep all day.

Nicholas: I probably would have if it weren't for a certain drow wizard telling me he was spying on me.

Guy: My name's Pavel, I'm one of the new recruits. I just arrived here at the Academy this morning. You're Nicholas Cooper, aren't you?

Nicholas: Ah, how I love messing with newbies... No, I think you have me confused with someone else.

Pavel: Oh, come on. They told me I'd be bunking in your old quarters. Besides, everyone at the Academy is talking about you. Is it true what they say about you? That Lady Aribeth herself ordered the Academy to send you an invitation to come here for training? I've never heard of anyone being invited to train at the academy before. People usually have to beg to get in. It must be a great honor for you.

Nicholas: When you have as much talent and skill as I do you get used to these kinds of honors.

Kinder: Oh brother...

Pavel: You're pretty full of yourself! Hope you have the skills to back up that confidence. But for some of us things don't come that easy. My brother Bim and I were working on one of the nearby farms outside the city when we heard Lady Aribet had put out a call for heroes to come to the aid of Neverwinter. We knew the city was suffering, but we didn't realize how bad things were until we got here. We arrived just before they sealed the gates and quarantined the city. Thank the Gods I got accepted into the Academy. I wouldn't want to be out there in the streets with the plague - not with the city guards barely able to keep order anymore.

Kinder: Sweet Erevan mothering the deity of Unicorns! This guy is giving backstory, if my knowledge of g- I mean the workings of Murphy's Curse on all adventurers, if there is an attack this guy should survive.... uh, not like there WILL be an attack or anything... *whistles innocently.*

Nick: Right... I'll just ignore that. I don't actually know much about the plague.

Pavel: The Wailing Death is a plague worse than any recorded in the entire history of Neverwinter. The whole city has been quarantined, nobody is allowed in or out.

Kinder: *cough*Teleport spell*cough*

Pavel: The Neverwinter militia do their best to enforce the quarantine, but people don't like being trapped inside the walls of a plague-infested city. Every day, more bodies pile up in the streets and the citizens move one step closer to panic and open rebellion. Can't say I blame them, it's only been a few months and already the dead number in the thousands.

Nick: Good story. I'll be going now.

Pavel: Yes, I suppose you need to get on with your training. You probably need to speak to Olgerd in the next room and get your equipment so you can take the final tests and finish your training. If you want any tips or instruction on adventuring, then don't forget to say hi to my brother Bim on the way out.

And that ends that conversation. Now, to explore the room a little bit, and do a little looting.
user posted image
Here, we have another object that can be looted: a desk, as well as the armoire in the next room. Both have a combined total of five gold, so yeah. Anywho, that's all that's interesting here, let's leave and move on.
user posted image

Nick: I'm not interested in a tutorial right now.
user posted image
And thus, our hero punches the guy and speaks to Olgerd.

user posted image
user posted image
Anywho, Olgerd tells you about about how inventories gives us some studded leather armor, and tells us how shopping works. And since I didn't go over how to shop in the first update, I might as well explain now.

You start off by clicking on a merchant npc, talk to them, ask to see their wares, and then you see what they have for sale and your inventory on screen. Here are the categories for each shop:

1. Clothing and Armor.
user posted image

2. Weapons.
user posted image

3. Scrolls and Potions.
user posted image

4. Other stuff like traps, bags, torches, healing kits etc.
user posted image
5. Magic items such as rings, wands/rods, and amulets. As we see here, he doesn't have anything in this section.
user posted image
user posted image

Anyway, sold the leather armor for 7 GP, buy a 2 extra potions, a set of bolts, and a crossbow. Unfortunately, most shops will not buy trap kits, or anything else that gets you a message in the shop that it was stolen, and no shop will buy a quest item... well, most of the quest items... You'll see why in chapter 1 when we get to it.. Also, there are some other things about items. First off all, if the highlight around them is white, we can use/equip them. Items that can't be used will either have a red highlight around them, and this is only for equipment, or a blue highlight, meaning that the item needs to be identified. This can be done automatically using the lore skill, however, if you don't have enough skill points put into that, or don't have any potions of lore (we'll see those later.), you can get them indentified in a store for about... 100 GP per item... or you can learn by selling the unknown item, but I don't reccomend that from experience waaaay back from when I played the game for the very first time.

Moving on, this woman tells us about the journal and map.
user posted image
user posted image

And since I forgot to show it last time, here is what the map looks like:
user posted image

The gold triangle is Nick. The gold diamonds are pins, which show places of interest. We can also add our own pins by clicking on the pin button on the map. Which is useful for keeping track of shops/imporatant places/characters who give a quest to you/places you need to go on a side quest... you get the idea. The top of the map is always north, and since it doesn't change direction like the compass at the bottom of the screen when you shift the camera, it REALLY helps to have both on screen to avoid getting lost.

Anyway, after the explanation, our hero gets some extra information.

Nick: What can you tell me about the Wailing Death?
user posted image

Berna:Lady Aribeth does her best to keep the peace, but the rumors are beginning to fly. People suspect some dark evil is behind the Wailing Death.Soon the panic may lead to open rebellion. I pray we of the Academy are not forced into battle against the citizens of Neverwinter. They are the very people we are supposed to protect!

Kinder: And Thanks to Murphy's Curse, anything in a rumor is most likely truth when it comes to these sort of things, so, Theory one: This plague is part of someone's plan to destroy the city.

Nick: I'm not going to comment, I don't want my sanity questioned by the locals, and be called a spy. It seems the place is paranoid enough. Tell me about Lady Aribeth.

Berna: Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande is a paladin of Tyr. She may be young, but she has already proven courage and devotion to both Neverwinter and Tyr. Lord Nasher Alagondar himself has given Lady Aribeth the task of saving Neverwinter from the Wailing Death. She's actually here at the Academy right now, in the south assembly hall. Once you've finished your training, you can go to meet her.

Kinder: *scribbling noise* I see, young, and since she's elven, that most likely puts her in the hmm... mid 20s to late 140s maybe? Yeah, that sounds about right. And a paladin to Tyr? That's interesting... very interesting indeed, usually elves of the faith would be tied to a member of the Seldarine, but, since the many different deities aren't exactly strict about who the races under their charge worship... except the damn Spider Bitch *spit, clang, foom?!* Anyway, I'm more surprised any elf, who's own deities are more chaotic good, would worship a Lawful like Tyr. Nasher himself eh? I heard that battle against the minotaur cemented his badassery, so if he's not leading the charge, perhaps he's been hit by the plague as well. Of course, since this is her job, there is a chance that the cure is going to be her glory despite it being the work of someone else while she just hands it over. Man, I feel sorry for Picard--- I mean Khelben Blackstaff Arunsun, his cure is going to be a pain to get in the future.

Nick: Do you anything about a cure for the plague?

Berna: So, you have heard the rumors as well? You should focus on your studies and not idle gossip.

Kinder: Not when Murphy is involved...

Berna: Lady Aribeth is no doubt seeking a cure, but there has been no official word. And spreading rumors about a cure being stored at the Academy is dangerous. It draws unwanted attention. The people are desperate for a cure- so desperate they might even attack the academy itself if they feel we have one.

Kinder: *sigh* Lady. Tempting. The. Curse. And Bhaal's balls! The cure has been found already!

Anyway, before moving on, the room Berna is in is the Library. And not shown in any of the screen shots for this segment were two lootable objects. A pile of books, and a book shelf. Each have one book on them, so, I'll just put up the item descriptions for them, mainly because they have some extra info about the world, references the books written about the Forgotten Realms (both game books AND literary novels), and at least a couple are interesting overall. Not to mention there is some stuff to keep in mind for later in the game.

Helms Hold
Less than a day's travel southeast of Neverwinter is Helm's hold, a fortified monastery dedicated to the God of Guardians. It was founded in the middle 1340s DR (Dale Reckoning) by Dumal Erard, a retired member of the Company of Crazed Venturers of Waterdeep. It has grown to a watchful community of 700 faithful. The people here grow their own crops, herd their own cattle, dig deep wells for their own water, and patrol the area with vigilance. They will also give shelter to any travelers beset or weakened by brigands or monsters.

Famous Citizens of the Sword Coast
The Sword Coast North is home to some of the most noteworthy personalities of the Realms. Many won their fame with deeds of great honor, but others are known for the depths of their depravity and wickedness.

The officers of Neverwinter fall in the first camp. Lord Nasher Alagondar, Lady Aribeth de Tylmareande, WatchKnight Desther Indelayne, and Abbot Fenthick Moss are celebrated for their kindness and wisdom, and each of these heroes has taken the safety of Neverwinter as his or her sacred duty.

On the more sinister side, the five High Captains of Luskan are some of the most cruel and ruthless warriors of the region. High Captains Taerl, Baram, Kurth, Suljack, and Rethnor are each vicious combatants, and together they enforce their will with merciless efficiency.

The most powerful and feared spellcasters of the Sword Coast are members of the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan. Among their numbers are Jaluth Alaerth, Ornar of the Claw and Deltagar Zelhund. Little is known of the Brotherhood's actual role in governing Luskan and the surrounding areas, and the members themselves are loath to discuss their activities.

The untamed lands outside the cities hold countless other instances of fame and infamy alike. King Obould Many-Arrows*, for instance, reigns over his orc tribes with an iron fist while such well-known rakes and ne'er-do-wells as Elaith 'The Serpent' Craulnober* move constantly from hamlet to hamlet to avoid detection.

See the two names with the asterixes next the them? Yeah, those two are from the books. Obould from the Legend of Drizzt series, and Elaith from a series of book by Elaine Cunningham. These two will be mentioned again later, so when that happens, I'll provide more info on them Now, let's move on to the last area we'll be looking at this update, the Training room.

user posted image
user posted image
(Note: The spoken dialogue here calls the PC "Recruit" Other times when the PC's name comes up, the Voice acting stops and the rest of the conversation is read only.)
Herban: It's my job to teach you raw recruits some tips on combat techniques so you maggots don't get gutted out there in the real world! Well recruit, don't just stand there with that dopey expression on your face! What's it going to be? Are you ready to begin your combat training or aren't you?

Nick: What's with all the shouting? Is this supposed to inspire me or something?

Herban: You address me as "Sir" when you open your mouth, maggot! If this plague hadn't made us so desperate for recruits, I'd boot your ass out of here for that type of attitude! But I'm stuck with you and I don't have time to break your spirit and teach you proper respect and discipline. We don't have to like each other, but you will listen to what I have to say!

Kinder: Geeze, this guy could trade techniques with my younger brother Turil's buddy Ramirez. Of course, he might not be the type to have a tankard with a one eyed Raksasha who's running a magic free fight club on the side...

Herban: This information might save your life sometime, recruit, so listen up: Whenever you want to use a feat or special attack on an enemy, right click on your opponent to bring up the menu. Then, left-click on the Special Attack icon on the lower right corner of the menu. This opens up a second menu with any feats or special attack you might have. Just left click on the attack or feat you want to use. You follow me so far, recruit?

Nick: *sarcastically* Sir, yes sir.

Herban: On the special attacks menu, you will also see the Parry icon located at the very top of the menu in the 12 o'clock position. Left-click on this icon whenever you want to enter parry mode. When parrying, you do not attack but are able to make an opposed check to deflect or dodge any incoming attacks that would otherwise hit you. Each round, you can parry one successful enemy attack for each attack you would normally get. If your roll succeeds by ten or greater, you will make a free counterattack at no penalty. To return to normal combat mode, simply left-click on your foe. Have you got that figured out, recruit? Can we move on to the next lesson?

Nick: Yeah, yeah. I've got it. No need to shout and holler.

Herban: If I don't shout, recruit, it might not get through that thick layer of dung covering your brain!

Kinder: Huh. Nice comeback.

Herban: Now listen up for the next lesson! You're weapon isn't just for killing, recruit. Sometimes it has other uses, like opening chests or locked door. If you find a lock you can't get past, right-click on the door or chest, and select the "Bash" icon from the menu. You can even do this with missle weapons. The stronger you are, the easier it is to bash open a lock. Just remember that not all locks can be opened by force. Are we clear so far Recruit?

Nick: I got it. Let's move this show along.

Herban: When a giant is ripping your lips off for talking back, recruit, just remember that somewhere I'll be smiling. Now quit goofing off and stay sharp! You aren't really a fighter type so you aren't required to participate in combat drills. They are open to anyone, however, and if you pass the combat test it will complete your basic training, but I'd recommend you go study under your specialized trainer instead.

Nick: I think I'll pass.

Herban: I thought as much. You're no warrior. Go test your skills on one of the other tests and trials here at the Academy! You're dismissed recruit!

Talking to Herban after he gives his lecture however, gives Nick one more chance to be an asshole:
user posted image

Nick: I'm tired of calling you "Sir." How about we compromise and I call you "Shirley?"

Kinder: *snrk*

Herban: You think that's funny, recruit? Well I left my sense of humor dangling at the point of a blood encrusted Luskan spear thirty years ago, so don't waste your jokes on me! Get out of my face, recruit! I'm sick of your wiseass ways!

And here we will end this update. Next time, the rogue exam, and the Academy's, erm... gallery of things that can kill you. And maybe the graduation ceremony as well. In the meantime, here is a list of Interludes I'm thinking of doing, and I want to know which ones you guys will want to see, and which one you want to see after the Prelude here. Interlude ideas that have multiple parts to them may end up being done AFTER HotU, or have each part done as Separate Interludes... I'm still thinking that one out. Anyway, here's the list:

1. Kinder Rydrion in Snickersnack!~ Kinder tells the story of how he got a vorpal blade from the least likely source.
2. Legode Rydrion in Grimshade Run~ This blue skinned druid (and neice to Kinder), with the help of the Dire Wolf Yethrys must fight their way out of an evil wizard's dungeon, and retrieve the treasures they worked so hard together to gain in the first place... oh, and kill the guy running the damn thing while looting the place in the process.
3. Mara Ders in Infernal Crown~ A four part tale of our evil monk who was trained to do "Evil unto Evil" and maybe changing her life completely as it goes...

That's all for now! Tune in to this thread for more of Nick's journey into losing his sanity thanks to Kinder, same bat time! Same bat Channel!

--------------------
Characters:
PM Email
^
KRWizard
 Posted: Dec 9 2012, 07:03 PM
Survivor

N/A

Interesting update. Can't wait to see more. Also, I choose #1 since you could pass it off as Kinder telling Nicholas the story during the one week interval.
PM
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Dec 14 2012, 08:28 PM
Renowned

N/A

Early update today, mainly due to exams being over, and I have enough screenshots for an update tomorrow as well, so think of this as an early Christmas Present!

The Prelude Part 3: The Menagerie, and The Rogue Exam

Before going to our test, let's take a look at the Academy's zoo, run by this guy here.

user posted image
Ferdinand: It's a pleasure to finally meet you Nicholas. I'm Ferdinand, the Academy's resident Keeper of Exotic Creatures. I was afraid you wouldn't make it by my little corner before you completed your training here at the Academy. So, have you come to see the Menagerie? Or was there something else I could do for you?

Nick: The Menagerie? What are you talking about?

Ferdinand: The Academy was founded with the purpose of training adventurers, so it would only make sense that we would collect strange and exotic monsters- the kind adventurers might encounter during their explorations. We allow our students to study the creatures and their habits up close, so that they will be better prepared when they encounter such beasts in the wild.

Kinder: In other words, this is a preview of what can kill you out there, so pay attention!

Nick: Uh...huh... Is there an arena where I can fight against these creatures?

Kinder: NICK! Not cool man...

Ferdinand: Hey, we're not savages! The animals are here for us to observe, not to butcher! Every month, Yusam, the local druid, comes by to inspect the creatures and make sure they're treated right. And I'm always watching for signs of injury or illness. Everyone of my animals is well fed and properly cared for. I look after my charges. I'm like their father.

Kinder: *sniff* Ferdinand, I know how you feel, I love my monster son too! Pardon me for a moment, I'm going to go see my little creation, Barnaby.

Nick: Thank god, some privacy... wait, did he mention a "monster son?" ... Nevermind, I don't want to know. Tell me about yourself, Ferdinand.

user posted image
Ferdinand: When I was young, I always knew I wanted to work with animals, but I didn't really want to live the life of a druid or a ranger. I didn't relish the idea of living out in the wild all by myself. I worked for a while at the zoo in Neverwinter, tending to the animals and such. That lead to an apprenticeship here at the Academy under the former Keeper of Exotic Creatures. When she retired I took over the job of running the Menagerie.

Nick: I want to see the Menagerie. Might as well take a look, right?

Ferdinand: Certainly. As long as you're here at the Academy you're free to view the Menagerie anytime you want. Don't worry, the monsters in there can't hurt you. We've taken every precaution- including powerful spells of binding- to make the Menagerie safe for both visitors and the creatures inside. Just head on through the door here whenever you're ready to view the wonders of my little beasties.

user posted image
Welp, let's take a look then, shall we? There are five creatures in the Menagerie, and thankfully, they can't attack. Why is this a good thing? Because at Nicholas' current level... let's just say he would have been killed by these guys.

Kinder: Okay, I'm back. Ooh! Time to break out the Monster Manu-- I mean Guidebook, yep, definitely a guidebook. *whisltles*

Nick: Right...

user posted image
Nick: That's... a big spider.

Kinder: That's a Dire Spider. Though not true Dire creatures, these Spiders are nevertheless fearsome to behold and appear to act with more cunning than their more common cousins.

Nick: Great...

Kinder: Not to mention their legs taste a lot like lobster.

Nick: Excuse me? Did... did you say you actually eat these things? I thought drow considered spider's holy or something...

Kinder: Oh the Lolthies consider it Blasphemous! While the followers of Eilistraee among the drow don't touch them, House Rydrion though... we love eating them! Of course, since officially my house doesn't exist by the Lolthies' decree, and please don't ask about that since it's a long complicated story to be saved for another time, the drow don't really know about giant spiders being edible... so don't mention it to them.

Nick: okay... moving on then...

user posted image
Nick: Another big bug.

Kinder: Stag Beetles. These creatures are serious pests that greedily devour cultivated crops. Though not carnivorous, they'll still charge any percieved threat with their oversized horn-like mandibles.

Nick: So, they thrust at an enemy with their horns? *snrk*

Kinder: *facepalms* Oh very mature...

user posted image
Nick: Big, Ugly, and kind of bug like.

Kinder: That's an Umber Hulk, I used to see them all the time back when I was growing up in the Underdark. Subterranean monsters that look like a cross between a great ape and a beetle, Umber Hulks leave behind a wake of destruction where ever they go. Not to mention they like to ambush anyone lost in the Underdark by popping out of the walls.

Nick: You're making that up, right?

Kinder: Maybe. Maybe not. If you ever find yourself in the Underdark, you'll find out.

Nick: Me? In the Underdark, like that would ever happen...

user posted image
Nick: Isn't this what happens when Lolth turns her worshippers into half spiders?

Kinder: No, no, you're thinking of Driders. Those guys are spider from the waist down. This is an Ettercap. Although not very intelligent, Ettercaps are cunning predators. Like the monstrous spiders that they keep as pets, they are skilled hunters and trappers.

Nick: I'll keep that in mind if I ever meet any in the future, and kill "Fido" in the process.

user posted image
Nick: Well... least it's not bug related.... still ugly.

Kinder: Ah, another monster in the Underdark, the Hook Horror. Covered in a hard, chitinous exoskeleton, their forelimbs hooked and bladed, these vicious subterranean predators can be fearsome to behold.

Nick: Certainly ugly to look at.

H.Horror: Drsst.... Drssturdn.... Clack Clack Clack....

Nick: ....

Kinder: ....

Nick: That... was creepy...

Kinder: No kidding... er... let's pretend this didn't happen, deal? In fact, I think you should get going to your exam!

Nick: Yeah...

user posted image
Nick: Nope.

user posted image
Nick: Nope.
user posted image
Nick: BINGO!

And now we meet our cheery instructor for this exam, Ketta the halfling.

user posted image
Ketta: Now, I know you're not one of those prissy types who frowns on a little skullduggery. I mean, that's why you're here, ain't it? To learn the ins and outs of the rogue's life. Well don't worry, you've come to the best. I know all the tricks of the trade, and I'm going to teach them to you. Consider this a final tutorial before you tackle the Academy's final challenge. Everything you wanted to know about rogues but were afraid to ask. Ready?

Kinder: Oh, she's certainly full of herself, isn't she? She's kind of cute too.~

Nick:Ignoring that.

Ketta: Are you alright? I heard from another student you were talking to yourself in the Barracks, and in the Menagerie.

Nick: I'm fine.

Ketta: If you say so...

user posted image

Nick: I am ready for your challenges.

Ketta: Hey relax. There's nothing to it. All you have to do is bring me the key from inside that chest on the east wall. Of course, it's locked and the key's inside, so you'll have to pick the lock.

Nick: Sounds easy enough...

Ketta: Or you can bring me the key from the chest behind that door in the north wall of this room. The chest isn't locked, but you'll have to find and disarm the trap on the door before you can get inside.

Nick: That's a little more challenging.

Ketta: Or you can bring me the key held by my rather dense assistant Bruno standing over there in the corner. Don't hurt him mind you! You could try to pick his pocket or, if you're a real sweet talker, you might be able to persuade him to hand it over to you. The choice is yours: The lock, the trap, or Bruno. Bring me any one of those keys and you pass the test.

And so, our exam begins! I decided to do part of the lock and the trap, while the key will be gotten from Bruno, so here's the run down of what Rogues specialize in, starting with traps.

user posted image
Here, we have our trapped door. See how it's glowing red? When a character gets close, this will happen with a trapped area/object. I think it relies on how high your spot skill is, so sometimes traps might end up getting tripped by accident. Anyway, here is how to take care of it, also, a look at the Radial Menu.

user posted image
In the center, we have a picture for the object/person/enemy you click on, and options. Here, we see options for Examine (Eye.), Cast Spell (ball of light), Open (not recommended here.), Trap, and Bash (broken lock.).

user posted image
Clicking on the trap menu brings this up, we have in order going clockwise, Examine, Disarm, Flag, and Recover trap. Flag I have never used before, and recover is used to collect traps, which we arent' going to do. Ever.

user posted image
This is what pops up for Rest, Examine Trap, Disarm Trap, and Unlock. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a screenshot of the Examination results, but this door has a spike trap attached.

user posted image
Now, we disarm and...

user posted image
Done. Also, see the blue text in the chat log? those are your dice rolls for skill checks. Since this is a DnD based game, dice rolls are done automatically and pretty much dictate what happens. A one is the worst you can get, and since this game works with a D20 for the rolls, 20 is the highest you can roll. The roll, combined with skill modifiers add together so that the total goes against the DC of what the skill is being used for. Since Nick's trap skill is 6, and he's rolled natural 20s, the checks are easily passed. However, as the game goes on, the DC for skill checks will get higher, meaning you need to invest skill points in certain areas to succeed. Or, in the case of chests/desks/armoires/ etc., bashing is possible, but... well, some lootables take FOREVER to break open.

Before going to the chest, Nick talks with this guy:

user posted image
Nick: What are you talking about?

Kinder: *cough*Stalker!*cough*

Shade: I really thought you would have figured it out by now. Silk has been spying on you Nicholas. It's part of her training. It really isn't my place to say any more. You should really speak to Silk about this.

Nick: Where can I find Silk?

Shade: She's over there in the northeastern alcove of the room. She's been watching you this whole time.

Nick: Well, that's better than the damn Hook Horror...
user posted image
Nick: Sorry, you must have confused me with someone else.

Silk: Please, Nicholas, if you don't want to talk to me, just say so, but don't play me for a fool. I know exactly who you are.

Kinder: Oh Vith! She's on to us!

Nick: *rolls eye*

Silk: Don't worry, it's nothing sinister. Just a little harmless spying on my part. Ketta says I need to practice my espionage skills, I've been watching you for quite some time.

user posted image
Nick: Why are you so interested in Lady Aribeth?

Silk: If you're going to spy on someone, it might as well be someone in charge, right? Aribeth knows a lot more about this plague then she's letting on. You can't blame me for being curious. Of course, if I get caught, they'll probably expel me... or worse, but the danger is part of the appeal. Besides, maybe I'll finally figure out why so many men seem so infatuated with that woman.

Nick: Sounds like you're a little jealous.

Kinder: Are... are you flirting?!

Silk: Let's just say I'm confused. Why would anyone be interested in that paladin? Honor, duty, virtue- boring. What's the appeal? Don't men want a woman who's a little bit... mysterious?

user posted image
Nick: I find dangerous women *very* interesting. *smirks*

Kinder: Oh gods, you are flirting! Flirterers!

Silk: I have to confess that since I started spying on you, I've become a little bit obsessed. Hazard of the job I guess. But I couldn't help wondering what it would be like to get to know you more... intimately.

user posted image
Kinder: Wait, is she? Nick, this has become a big choice here. You better make the right one!

Nick: I'd like that, Silk.

Silk: I promise it will be an evening you'll remember for the rest of your life. I won't say anymore- best let the mystery and anticipation build. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Nick:I think I'll be going now. *winks.*

user posted image

Kinder: Nick, you're in touch with Tymora herself, aren't you? Congrats!

user posted image
Moving on, we now go to the chest, and see a new option on our radial menu. The Unlock button.

user posted image
And that is done. Now, let's go see Bruno.

user posted image
Kinder: Sweet Erevan! a half-orc? If Ketta and this guy are secretly a couple... I think I'm going to be sick.

Nick: How would that even work? The size ratio would make things complicated. Ketta sent me to get a key from you.

Bruno: No, no, no. Ketta tell me not give to nobody. Bruno, she say, you keep key safe. Me get extra dessert tonight if me keep key safe for Ketta.

Kinder: Hanali Celanil's good looks! That... just sounds wrong somehow!

Nick:Sweet Sune's curves! The mental images... damn you Kinder! I hope you don't get a chance to reproduce with a woman! Maybe we could work out some kind of deal?

Bruno: Deal? What you mean deal?

Nick: [Persuade] You give me the key, Bruno, and I'll make sure you get my dessert in the mess hall tonight.

Bruno: [Success] Bruno like dessert. Okay, you got deal! Here be key! Me be going now. Me see you again at supper when you give Bruno you dessert.

Nick: er... thanks...

Anywho, just for kicks, here's the radial menu for friendly NPCs:

user posted image
Examine, cast spell, attack, power attack, pick pocket, Can't remember the name of the one above pick pocket, and finally, talk. Let's pick his pocket for kicks.

user posted image
OH COME ON! Well, since he has nothing else on him, let's go give the key to Ketta.

user posted image
Ketta: As a reward for completing your training let me give you this gift. After all, what's the point of doing something if you don't get a reward in the end, right? Now, unless you there was something else you needed, you had better get down to the south assembly hall if you want to get a blessing from Lady Aribeth.

Nick: After those mental images Kinder gave me while talking to Bruno? Not a chance! Goodbye.

Ketta: See you 'round.

She gives us two spike trap kits if you're wondering. And since I don't like traps, this is a lame gift. So, with that done, we now have one last place to go...

user posted image
Through this door, to speak to Aribeth... NEXT TIME!

Also, sorry for the Bruno Part. And, I'd still like to know what interlude you guys want to see after the Prelude. Kinder getting a Vorpal Blade? Legode going through Grimshade Run? Or Mara Ders and the Infernal Crown?

--------------------
Characters:
PM Email
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Dec 22 2012, 02:10 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

The Menagerie will always be one of the coolest things in the Prelude. All the best monsters.

Also, I'm throwing in a vote for Grimshade Run, because it sounds the coolest and also Legode is in it.

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D || Teen Titans GO~ || The Games

Disclaimer: using the Split Lock skin by DoubleXXCross will not give you a suit of armour.
But even if it did, you can still very much get shot in the face.