photo the_inter.png

<% NEWS %>

Add Reply
New Poll

» Purification in Progress: Let's Play OFF, The thread is lousy with images, beware!
Tarkya
 Posted: Feb 24 2013, 12:52 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 8

Aura's LP is looking a little lonely, isn't it? Let's give it a buddy.

user posted image
[♪Fourteen Residents]

OFF is an odd little RPGMaker2003 game by Mortis Ghost. While it's gameplay leaves a lot to be desired, it makes up at least in part with quite an interesting storyline.

It was originally french, but it was translated by some people on Starmen.net. If you're interested in playing it yourself, you can find it here. For the rest of you, let's get this started!

Click me to continue!(Show/Hide)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Wait, are you referring to me? Okay then... we'll go with Jacred.

user posted image

Girl, thank you very much. Are you Professor Oak, mysterious nosy narrator?

user posted image

Welcome, Jacred.

user posted image

Oh. Hello there little baseball dude.

The Batter has an important mission. Be sure that it's accomplished.

We will let you out in Zone 0. Good luck.

For more information, find the one called "The Judge".

user posted image

user posted image
user posted image To interact with the environment, use the space bar or the enter key.

Simple enough, if worded a little strangely. Let's start with up.

user posted image

user posted image
[♪ Empty Warehouse]

user posted image
Is that a cat...?

user posted image

Wow, uh... teeth. I hope you’re a friendly cat...

user posted image Nevertheless, I will introduce myself. I am the Judge, and I am aching to know your name, dear elusory interlocutor.

So the Judge is a chesire cat with flowery word choice. Weird.

user posted image I’m the Batter. I’ve been assigned to a sacred mission.

user posted image It is a pleasure. However, it is not the puppet I was addressing, but the puppeteer controlling it. What is your name, dear puppeteer?

Oh, you can... see me? Detect me? Uh, help me out Batter, it’s not like I can do anything other than push buttons here.

user posted image Her name is Jacred. She can’t talk to us. However, she can hear and see everything.

Thank you. Though I guess you can't actually hear that. Maybe there's a thumbs up button somewhere...

user posted image Even though you too are but an inexistent apparition in my eyes, let it be said that I am delighted to meet you as well, dear Jacred.

user posted image I believe we’re in need of your services.

Professor Oak told us to find you and everything, though I'm not quite sure what a cat can do...

user posted image Many people are in need of my services, you know. Everybody loves cats. We rub ourselves against their legs and purr in the most insistent manner. They adore that.

user posted image I’m not talking about that kind of help.

I guess the Batter isn't much of a cat person.

user posted image I see... but what sort of service could I offer to an ectoplasmic entity?

user posted image I have a sacred mission to fulfill. I must purify the world.

That's a pretty big mission. And a little vague, but if that's what I'm assigned to this guy to complete, then so be it.

user posted image There is no objective more laudable than yours. I accept to serve you as a guide through this area, if it is of any help to you.

user posted image Thanks.

user posted image

And there he goes. Let’s go follow him!

user posted image

Woah, buildings. And chests! Loot time.

user posted image
Sweet... whatever a luck ticket does.

user posted image

Darn. Okay, how about that unblocked door? Anything cool in there?

user posted image

I got nothing. We better go ahead and meet up with the Judge. Up the ladder, Batter.

user posted image

user posted image Might you in fact be a creature of flesh and blood?

user posted image I think so, yes.

You have to think about that?

user posted image So I have been mistaken from the beginning. You did not even interrupt me in my deluded phantasms... This is relatively bizarre, I must say, for you are the first living being I was given a chance to encounter in this lieu. I had in fact concluded that zone 0 was an empty land. Obviously I was misled. However, there exist other zones, and in those territories, the risk of hostile individuals attacking you in the most violent manner is quite high. Your sacred mission will likely lead you into these lands. Would you like me to teach you the art of violent confrontation?
user posted image

Hm...

We're getting a bit long, so we'll stop here for now. But since we're stopping here, what do you guys think? Should we go through the tutorial, or just wing it? Next time in Let's Play OFF we decide, and also do some puzzles.

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Auragongal
 Posted: Feb 24 2013, 02:24 PM
Renowned

N/A

Group: Character Moderator
Member No.: 7

I vote to see the combat tutorial, I have a feeling fighting blind would get the batter killed quickly.

--------------------
Characters:
Legode Rydrion, the Blue Skinned Druid(Please keep in mind that while Legode is female, she looks highly bifauxnen/ manly in appearance. She never really developed in the chest area. Also has a Dire Wolf as her druidic animal companion. Do not call said companion a puppy/treat him like a house pet.)
Drizzt Do'Urden(Canon Character)
Aria Token(Mute, Hotblooded, Battling Ballerina)
PM Email
^
KRWizard
 Posted: Feb 24 2013, 02:33 PM
Survivor

N/A

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

I vote for the tutorial too. Otherwise, it'd be three strikes and you're out. So get ready to batter up.
PM
^
DoubleXXCross
 Posted: Feb 25 2013, 05:42 PM
Experienced

N/A

Group: Resident Artist
Member No.: 2

...Question: can I get KR for those terrible, terrible puns?

--------------------
Cat - the girl who leapt through meta / Sonic - the hedgehog chasing ghosts
Yugi - the boy who tempers darkness / Journals - the words remembered most
PM Email
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Feb 25 2013, 10:24 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

With puns that bad, it's practically required.

Update time!

user posted image

Let's go ahead with the tutorial then. You never know what kind of twists these games are going to throw at you...

user posted image
[♪ Pepper Steak ♪]

Woah, weird battleground. Music is catchy as hell, though.

user posted image This is the battle screen. As you can observe, you will find yourself placed at the right-hand side of the screen. Your opponent, however, in this case yours truly, will be located on the left in single combat.

Side view battles! The Batter kind of... jitters, back and forth here, instead of having any actual battle animations. It looks kind of silly.

user posted image At the beginning of combat, you will be confronted with a choice. You have to decide whether to “Attack”, “Auto” or “Flee”.

user posted image “Attack” naturally permits you to engage the fight in the classical fashion. If “Auto” is your decision, the computer will make the strategic choices in your place, making you simply the spectator. Finally, “Flee”, as its name indicates, is the option of the coward. I dehort this alternative.

Hey, sometimes I’m just too lazy to fight. Do you know how annoying it gets to fight every single mook you run into?

user posted image But now it is time for the offense. Choose “Attack”, select the Batter, then choose “Attack” anew to off me with your bat. Do not utilise the “Auto” function. The computer will not hold back and I would take the risk of dying, taking my secrets with me to the grave.

user posted image
user posted image
You can’t tell me what to do!

user posted image No no no. You really have not understood one bit. It is enough to damn one’s self. I will repeat it anew for you. Open your ears widely. Select the Batter, then the “Attack” command. Select myself right away to strike a classic bat blow to my teeth.

Fine...

user posted image
Woah, hitting a little hard there, Batter.
user posted image

user posted image It is possible that you or your adversary could avoid the barrage of attacks that you will throw at each other with slyness. There is also the possibility that your cast iron will could get you a critical hit, which will cause teeth to fly in heaps.

Teeth to fly in- that’s a really graphic image there Judge, what is up with that.

user posted image But let us move on, if you are willing to. You may have noticed that when you chose “Attack” for the first time after you selected the Batter, a new window opened itself on the lower right-hand side of the screen. There, you have the choice between four new options. “Attack” leads to a sole strike against a likewise sole adversary. “Competence permits you to use one of your special skills. “Objects” will grant you access to the items you are currently carrying. Finally, you have, yet again, the opportunity to flee. But remember: solely the Batter is responsible for that option in his personal menu.

user posted image How about trying to utilise an object? Take this Luck ticket and use it on the Batter's person with gratitude.

A Luck ticket has been found.

user posted image
user posted image
Oh, so they’re basically weirdly-named potions! Okay, that makes sense.

user posted image

user posted image I am of course talking about competences. They are generally, in layman’s terms, special moves. They can trigger surprising effects. they may induce a resurgence of health points, or may be in and of themselves, powerful attacks. Nevertheless know this: any use of competences leads to a consumption of competence points (CP).

Also known as “MP with a funny name.”

user posted image So I ask that you use these skills sparingly. Once your CP is completely consumed, it will be impossible to carry out heavy assaults. And if you happen to cross swords with a tougher opponent before being able to get some more CP, victory will be uncertain. But try it right away. Choose “Competence” and try using “The Wide Angle”, which will allow you to analyse your enemy.
user posted image
user posted image
Scan that cat!

user posted image
Wow, he’s got like twice the Batter’s HP. What is he made of?

user posted image Eh eh eh. You now know not only all about me, but also about the art of combat. About the Wide Angle... Know that the Batter’s analysis will always be based on the start of the battle. Thus, he may accidentally analyse adversaries you have already knocked for a long time.

I’ll be sure to analyse enemies whenever something new pops up.

user posted image The confrontation ends, theoretically, when the health points of your team, or all of your opponents, fall to zero. Take good care of your health if you want a successful career in purification.

user posted image

user posted image Well, supposing your intelligence is on the same level with your undeniable capability of dealing bat blows to an innocent cat.

Hey, you’re the one who told me to.

user posted image Be it as it may, your training has not reached its end yet. Let me ask you to follow me, if you still want me as your guide.

user posted image
Nowhere else to go. Follow that cat!

user posted image
user posted image
Huh.

user posted image Ah, yes. To pass through here, you need to use your cerebral organ. You now, the one bathing flabbily in your tired cranium.

Hey... wait, was that at me, or the Batter?

user posted image I believe those floating blocks correspond to the symbols you can see on the wall in some way or another.

user posted image
Hm... four numbers, four blocks.

user posted image
One...

user posted image
Two...

user posted image
Three...

user posted image
Four.

user posted image
Hah! I guess it really was that simple. Next floor!

user posted image
Blocks again... but arranged differently. The numbers don’t line up with the blocks anymore... maybe it’s an order this time. Let’s try it.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

And unlocked! Next floor.

user posted image
user posted image
...all this so you could eat? Really?

Anyway, this room doesn’t have any numbers to it. The blocks are laid out in a bit of a familiar shape though. Looks a bit like phone buttons or the numpad. Judge? Anything to say on this?

user posted image
You are a terrible guide. Anyway, the door to the south is unblocked, so let’s go through there...

user posted image
And we’re back on the ground floor, through this door that was previously blocked! Which means that the chest is unblocked, too.

user posted image
Silver flesh. That isn’t like... actual flesh, is it?

Anyway, I’ve got a pretty good idea on how to solve this.

user posted image
4-4-8-2-8-7-0. Looks like a puzzle solution to me.

user posted image
This one twice...
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
A bunch of blocks later and we’ve got the door open! Let’s see where it goes...

user posted image
And we win... a red box, I guess. Yeah, that was totally not worth it.

Oh, and here comes the Judge again.
user posted image

user posted image Here is an accessory that is going to be especially helpful on your purifying quest, dear enlightened student and sportive friend. It is a cube, hovering in midair, as you have likely noticed. Nevertheless, you will be able to differentiate it from similar ones by the contrast of bad taste it imposes on your view of clashing color, defying any sensible course of plastic arts.

I don’t see how helpful a red floating box is going to be....

user posted image However do not judge it too quickly, because despite its criticisable appearance, this red cube is of undeniable use. Aside from rendering you the entirety of your health and competence points, it is capable of saving your progress and sending you to the nothingness.

Oh, it’s a save point. You could’ve just told me. But what’s the nothingness?

user posted image The nothingness is a lieu of transition outside of space itself, where you can travel from one point to another at the speed of light.

Ah. That’ll be handy.

user posted image I now invite you to try it out, in order to discover locations more populous than this deserted land. Open your wings, my dear companion, and hurry away towards the following zones without hesitation! Your only enemy is the fear that will grab you.

user posted image Okay.

user posted image Do not worry, I too travel a lot through the different zones of the world. We will newly meet one another eventually without a doubt.

Damn, and here I thought we’d finally escaped your sesquipedalian loquaciousness.

user posted image Ah! By the by, take this. This object of a curious name will be the key that permits you to enter zone 1. Have I clarified that you can at any time consult your inventory and characteristics by pressing the Esc key?

The Leo-card has been found.
Da-da-da-daaaaaa.

user posted image Go ahead. I am inviting you to try using the floating cube, right behind you.

Okay then. Let's go, Batter.
user posted image
user posted image

Next time, on Let’s Play OFF: We go to the nothingness, and we explore zone 1.

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Lancereiger
 Posted: Mar 2 2013, 06:15 PM
Experienced

N/A

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

Kind of a wacky game, but entertaining nonetheless. Looking forward to the next part!

--------------------
New Forum, New Heroes! Where will our adventures take us?

Roster:
Lance A Kamen Rider and His Blob.
Cexlan Anomalous Jacka**.
Dekar The Undying Knight.
Bass The Perfect Robot Master.
Shaia The Inventor Interference.
PM
^
Katana9992
 Posted: Mar 3 2013, 05:16 PM
Explorer

N/A

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

This game looks pretty cool, just hope nothing puts you off finishing the LP. Then again, you were always good at stepping up to the plate.

Looking forward to the next part. Also, puns, because I've been playing too much Dragon Quest.

--------------------
3DS FRIEND CODE: 2191-7867-2485
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Mar 10 2013, 09:17 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

After a period of feeling too ill for LPs, it's time for another update!

Part 1(Show/Hide)

user posted image
To the nothingness! Whatever that is. Man, I hope it’s not gonna kill me or something.

user posted image
user posted image
Aw, missed the warp anima-

user posted image
[♪Silencio]
Uh.

Well, this is kind of creepy for a “world map”. Where does it let us go?

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Three zones...

user posted image
And “The Room.” Which is in red. Ominous.

user posted image
We can’t go anywhere other than Zone 1, though...

user posted image
So let’s head that way.

user posted image
user posted image
Got the warp effect this time.

user posted image
[♪Rainy Day]
Oh hey, rain! Hope the Batter doesn’t mind getting wet.

user posted image
A train station. Called “Elsen”, I guess. Looks like we have some NPCs here... what do you have to say, only guy we can actually talk to?

user posted image
Everyone makes a noise when you talk to them in this game - the Judge purrs, and this guy makes kind of a wheezy gasping noise.

user posted image
Let’s check out this train...

user posted image
Only one stop. Guess we’re headed to Damien.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Why am I having Spirited Away flashbacks...? Oh well. Here we are.

user posted image
Huh. I bet we reactivate it.

user posted image
user posted image
Oh look, a little town.

user posted image
Here comes another one of those dudes.

user posted image
user posted image ...
user posted image I... Uhm... Welcome to the smoke mines.

You guys mine for... smoke?

user posted image Uh... may I know who you are? Are you an inspector?
user posted image No. I’m the Batter. I’ve come to exterminate the impure spirits.
user posted image The... Batter... The... impure spirits? Are you some sort of... prophet? Or perhaps a man of belief?
user posted image Yeah. Something like that.

He believes in the almighty Player. Which is actually a little weird sounding so forget I said that. Glad they can't hear me.

user posted image I... Who sent you?
user posted image Nobody. I’m being led by Jacred.
user posted image Ah. I don’t know her. She must be a member of the superior personnel...

Damn straight I am.

user posted image In any case that’s good. It means our requests have been acknowledged... Here, I’m going to explain your task.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

That’s... different. What happened to air?

user posted image
user posted image Finally... uh... How do I put this?
user posted image Where are the impures?
user posted image Uh... yes, there we go. there are many spectres in the mines. They are becoming more and more aggressive. But uh, in fact, it would be better if you didn’t enter the mines... Because... Because the regulations forbid visitors to access them.

That makes purifying them kind of hard then, doesn’t it?

user posted image So, uh, here’s what we’re going to do. There’s an annex tunnel that nobody ever goes to. But a miner went in there some time ago... And he saw something strange, he said. Nothing like the usual. So, I thought... maybe... it’s the chief of the spectres.

In a tunnel nobody ever goes into? Yeah, that sounds incredibly likely.

user posted image Uh... so, there’s your task. If you accept, you’ll go into the annex tunnel and kill the chief of the spectres... Then, the spectres will disappear and we can work properly again.
I really doubt it’ll be that easy, but in the name of plot progression...
user posted image There we go, there we, uh... do you have any questions?
user posted image No.
user posted image Ah. Great. Impeccable. The tunnel is right down there. I’ll wait here.

Part 2(Show/Hide)
Okay, sure. But first I’m gonna look in this house.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image I’m anxious for that day to arrive.

Dream big, little guy. I’m gonna loot your stuff.

user posted image
Nice. Now we can go investigate that “chief of the spectres”.

user posted image
[♪Rainy Day - In]
user posted image
Sure is purple down here...

user posted image
Oh, crud. It’s you.

user posted image
Yes, hello Judge. Man, I thought we were done with the expository speeches.

user posted image Are you the specters’ leader?
user posted image Aha, no no, certainly not. I am only passing through, not unlike the smoke which is being extracted from this pale and metallic place. However, I believe I know where the one you are taking for an ectoplasm can be found.

user posted image
user posted image I have very well tried to accroach it, but the operation has failed systematically so far. But I am thinking... Maybe you, one who does not have a physical order, will succeed in affiliating this spiritual entity to yours.

You're doing that thing where I can't tell if you're talking to the Batter or to me again... but sure, we can try it out.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image Fair enough; since it has decided to accompany you, I know only to advise you to make the best usage possible of it.
user posted image Got it. The chief of the specters isn’t here?
user posted image Sorry, but I fear I have to respond in the negative. Apart from this Add-On, I have not cross the way of a single soul in this lieu.

Then we’re pretty much done here. Alpha joins us at level 1, and doesn’t know have any abilities.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image No. He wasn’t there.
user posted image Oh... oh? Really? I... Bugger. Crap. I... Well, then uh... I believe that I’ll have to let you enter into the main gorges, then. But uhm... the regulations oppose it.

You are very hung up on regulations, aren’t you? You need to relax.

user posted image Alright uh... I.... I suppose this is a very special case, as stated in paragraph five. So, uh... Good, well, the main mines are on the right. There.

user posted image
The way's open! Finally, we can progress.

user posted image
user posted image But now it’s breaktime for me anyways.

Excuses excuses. Let’s go check out the mine.

user posted image
[♪Rainy Day - In]
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image And besides... Who has let you enter? Normally the regulations prohibit external vistiors...
user posted image
Things to keep in mind. Let’s keep moving.

user posted image
Okay, let’s save and- Batter, where are you going?

user posted image
user posted image Show yourselves, corrupted children! I’m the voice of forgiveness that’ll eliminate your calamitous forms.

Okay, let’s not draw the attention of everyone in the mines, we’re not supposed to be here-

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
...uh.
user posted image...Prepare yourselves to suffer my judgement.

user posted image
[♪Pepper Steak]
Okay. First of all, let’s get the Wide Angle on these things.

Common Spectre (x8)
Mysterious ectoplasmic incarnation.
HP: 10 / CP: 0
Light resistance against smoke

10 HP? This shouldn’t be too bad. Especially now that we’ve got a fighting buddy...

user posted image
...but first they all attack at once. Ouch.

user posted image
The Batter takes one out, and Alpha gets right into the fray. Together, they wipe out a pretty good chunk...
user posted image
...but the spectres get in another volley of blows shortly after.

user posted image
Alpha’s getting pretty low on health, so let’s wipe out the rest of these guys quickly.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Yeaaah! We get 400 experience, 80 credits, and a whole sheaf of Luck tickets from those guys. I generally won't be showing battles in the game, since they get pretty repetitive, but whenever I encounter a new batch of enemies I'll show them off.

user posted image
user posted image ...That’s practical. Let’s purify the other galleries.

A good idea... for the next update. Next time on OFF, we delve deeper into the smoke mines.

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D || Teen Titans GO~ || The Games

Disclaimer: using the Split Lock skin by DoubleXXCross will not give you a suit of armour.
But even if it did, you can still very much get shot in the face.