photo the_inter.png

<% NEWS %>
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

» Disco Dragon, Salariel the Sparkly appears
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 12:18 AM
Powerful

N/A

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 27

Bony, armored eyelids flicked open with a soft click, then closed once more when neon harshness poured in, burning their retinas and causing them to contract into catlike slits. With a wordless grunt of discomfort, the large, roughly triangular head those eyes were set into turned away from the light, seeking the dark behind as their owner pieced together what had happened to him in recent memory. The result was not pleasant in the least.

He had been defeated, then, and no doubt the paladins of the city had fallen soon afterwards. A flash of disgust was the initial reaction, before being pushed aside as useless in the long term; the important thing was he was not currently an undead monster along with all of the other unfortunates who had fallen to the Necromancer. For now, he had to figure out where he was and see if he could possibly return; someone had to organize the resistance after all, since after taking such a large city the necromancer would be in decent position to take a run at the throne.

"Mommy, what's that?" asked a small, high pitched voice from somewhere in the direction of the light.

Ah. Humans.

"I don't know, honey. A pile of shiny scrap metal, maybe?" a feminine, slightly deeper voice replied.

Well, time to take a look. flexing his neck to turn his head back towards the light, Salariel beheld a child, clinging to his mother's hand and pointing at him with one sugar-stained, sticky finger as his mother's face drained of all color.

"D-duh-" she stammered, grip on her child tightening tenfold and causing him to whine and tug at her hand.

"Good evening." Salariel said politely, pondering how to free himself from the tight confines of the alley he had woken up in and raising his head to a comfortable posture. His eyes gleamed with the reflected neon light, glowing eerily high above as he stared down at the little humans, shiny teeth and scales sparkling dully in the dark.

"DRAGON!" the woman finally shrieked, hoisting her child and running screaming into the night, spooking the crowd around her.

"Unfortunate. I wasn't even able to ask what this town is called."

--------------------
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 12:53 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Member No.: 8

It was a rare night that Doru got the freedom to wander the town by himself, but Sarah was busy with preparations for the Big Trip, and that meant she wasn't able to walk with him. It was a little disappointing, but it was also exciting! He'd gotten pet a few times and he'd gotten to chase some heartless, though the vendbringers had gotten most of them out before he'd gotten a chance to fight them.

Oh well. Maybe he'd get to fight soon...

"DRAGON!"

Doru stiffened, his ears pricked up as the shriek rang through the night air. For a brief moment he wondered if someone was yelling at him, but no, that had been from away. Was there someone in danger? He hesitated for a moment before he tore off, weaving through the crowd with the occasional chirped apology in the direction of the voice. There was an odd, unfamiliar scent wafting in the air, and he honed in on it until he reached the entrance of the alley.

There was something there... something huge, and alive, and shiny. There was only one thing Doru could do in a situation like this.

"HEY!" he barked, his fur raising as he tried to make himself look as big and intimidating as possible. "HEY! You! What are you?"

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 01:20 AM
Powerful

N/A

Salariel twisted a bit, trying to wriggle out of the confines of the alley, but stopped to rethink his methods when an alarming crackling groan made itself heard. Straining wood was not a good sign; he didn't want to wreck the residents' homes just to free himself from a moderately inconvenient situation.

Well, if he couldn't wriggle out without spending magic, so be it. With a thought, magic was wrought and cast, and Salariel shrank precipitously, from the size of a house to the size of a horse; more than small enough to walk comfortably out of the narrow alleyway and- notice the little fuzzy lizard thing that was yapping at him. A kobold, perhaps?

"I am a dragon, little one." he said, lowering his head to Doru's level and angling his face to examine the digimon closely. "How is it that you have not heard of our kind? Though perhaps the true question is, what are you? I have never seen one such as you before, and I have lived long and seen many things."

--------------------
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 01:41 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Doru watched the big thing move, and then suddenly start to get smaller. He hopped backwards as it came out of the alleyway, much smaller than before, but still bigger than he was. It was weird and looked like a... well, he didn't know what it looked like, but it wasn't a human and it wasn't a robot, and it didn't really look like a heartless, either...

...and it called itself a dragon. Like what Sarah said he could be one day.

"I've heard of dragons... but they don't live in Traverse Town." Doru said almost defensively, carefully examining the creature. It looked a little bit like him, but it was shiny instead of furry. "I'm Dorumon! I'm a digimon," he finally answered. His desire to start a fight was gradually turning to curiosity, but he still kept his distance, instead pacing back and forth as he continued to investigate from afar.

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 02:42 AM
Powerful

N/A

"What if, Dorumon, you had dragons living among you this whole time, but simply didn't know about it? After all, until today you had never seen a dragon; are you sure that there aren't any in this... Traverse Town?" Salariel asked, settling onto his haunches and curling his tail about himself to converse more comfortably with the tiny creature calling itself a digimon, whatever that was. It was clear that he had been catapulted into a strange and foreign land, one that he had never even heard of. Maybe Doruman's keeper would have more information for him?

It was worth a try. After listening to Doru spend the several seconds of silence Salariel graced him with probably sputtering in childish confusion, he spoke again.

"Do you think it would be possible for me to speak your master? I have a fair number of questions that I must have answered post haste."

--------------------
PM
^
Aragonius
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 02:59 AM
Veteran

N/A

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

An alarm blared in Nate's lab indicating a large flux of mana in town. "Ah crap better check on that..." After having missed out on the behemoth incident the wizard had set up a better array of magical sensors. He'd been distracted with Park district but even so he needed to have a better awareness of the ongoings in his own backyard so to speak. As his scrying mirror warmed up he focused on the portion of town the flux had occured in. Soon a milky image began to resolve into clarity.

He saw a smashed alley, a dragon, and Doru. "Ah... Ok yeah I better keep an eye on this." The dragon was silver but this world wasn't based on d&d and pathfinder. He couldn't safely assume anything about this dragon's alignment or disposition. So far however it seemed willing to talk. It was apparently under the effect of a transmutation likely concealing its true size. He'd need to tread carefully. If things devolved into a fight the incident would likely end up serveral magnitudes worse than park district.

"Please, please, please, don't be Nicol Bolas or anyone like that... " He muttered with cross fingers as he observed.

--------------------
Characters
(Robot "Wizard") | (Aspiring Archmage) | (Reluctant Mad Artificer)
(Incubus Inventor)

PM Email
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

"Weeell," Doru frowned, pressing his ears back as he thought about the question. "Because... if there were..." He perked up again, looking back at Salariel. "Because I would've seen 'em!" Yeah, that was right. "This town really only has humans and robots, and if you were a heartless we'd be fighting!" He paused as said that, recollection flickering dimly in his mind. Wait... wasn't there one that talked too, before it attacked? And now this one wanted to see Sarah...

"...Sarah's kind of busy right now, but I guess we could go to First District at least." He looked the dragon up and down. "I can answer questions though! I've heard Sarah talk to new people a lot about the town!"

And besides, First District was the safest one, right? All the people lived close to it, so if this was actually a bad guy, they'd be really close! "Follow me," he said, beckoning with a forepaw as he began to move. "If you stay close, then people will think you're my friend and won't call the vendbringers!"

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 01:23 PM
Powerful

N/A

More strange and outlandish names that meant nothing to Salariel. What in the Realms was a vendbringer? Were they dangerous? A cursory glance around revealed only dregs of evil, the bitter traces of an infestation that had been purged some time ago; perhaps they were this town's guardians? In any case, it seemed that the humans here were skittish and easily spooked. Circumstances called for a disguise.

Rising to his feet, Salariel followed along behind Doru, the heavy thumps of his footsteps and the clacking of his claws on the paving stones fading away along with his mass. Flesh twisted and writhed, and the dragon lifted his front feet off the ground, walking upright as a human might as the shapechange took hold. Soon, a normal-looking human walked with the digimon, the only remaining trace of his previous form being his silvery eyes, which faded to an indistinguishable hazel after a few more seconds of the magic taking root.

"There we are. Do you think the residents will panic if I look like this? Also, do you now see why I asked if you were absolutely sure there are no dragons in Traverse Town?"

--------------------
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Doru stared as Salariel changed, from being a silver dragon thing to being a human looking guy. He paused in leading him to sniff the "man" intensely. He might have changed, but he still had that same water smell. "Woah! So dragons evolve too..."

But that meant there could be other dragons in town! Which meant...

He snorted as he continued to lead Salariel through the crowd, towards the open doors leading to First District. "Well... if they can get as big as you get and don't show up, then they must not be very good dragons. They should've showed up when the big thing attacked!"

Into the First District they went, and Doru gestured towards the building that was the Crossroads. "We're here! I'll get Sarah, so wait here."

He darted up to the entrance of the building, and looked up at the balcony, where the door was open. "SARAAAAH!" he shouted. "I FOUND A NEW PERSON AND THEY WANNA TALK TO YOU!"

A moment of silence, and Sarah appeared on the balcony, wearing something that wasn't much more put together than pajamas. She peered down at Doru and Salariel. "Doru, do you really have to yell?"

"WHY NOT?"

Sarah signed, covering her face to hide an involuntary smile. "Fine, fine. I'll be down in a bit. Help them get settled down in the shop while I get dressed, alright?"

"OKAY!" He spun towards Salariel, and gestured towards the patio. "She'll be down in a bit! Do you want a drink? Sarah always lets new people have something for free."

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 02:13 PM
Powerful

N/A

"I am fond of black tea, if you have any. A wedge of cheese and a few olives would be an acceptable accompaniment as well, if it isn't too much to ask." Salariel replied, bemused by Dorumon's continued exuberance even as he allowed himself to be ushered over to the tables outside. Were all wyrmlings this rambunctious? Surely he hadn't been half as energetic in his youth...

Chalking Doru's boundless energy up to a mix of personal quirks and the silliness of childhood, he settled himself into one of the chairs set out for customers to use and had a good look at the scenery. This 'first district' fairly bustled with life, with people going about the business of their everyday affairs; it was a pleasing tableaux, a nice backdrop for a cup of tea and a chat with what had seemed like a nice young woman. To that end, a few minor adjustments had to be made.

Picking up a spoon from the table, Salariel eyed his reflection in the polished steel, tweaking his current form to more accurately suit his sense of aesthetics. A middle aged man, with a well-trimmed salt and pepper beard and perfectly kempt hair, dressed smartly in the styles of the late eighteenth century, with an ornate double-breasted coat with shining buttons and a tricorne hat. Quite sharp, if he said so himself.

"Dorumon, how is life in this city? From what I have seen so far, it seems quite agreeable. Do you enjoy your daily life?"

--------------------
PM
^
Aragonius
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran

N/A

Nate continued to watch and listen in on the conversation. So far to his relief the newcomer didn't seem to bear any ill intent. Just to be sure the wizard cast two divinations through his scrying sensor. With the spells Detect Evil and Detect Chaos the wizard scanned the disguised dragon. Thankfully both sells come up perfectly clean. Meaning this fellow fell somewhere on the Lawful, Good, or Neutral positions of the magically detectable alignment spectrums. "Ok then this guy ideally shouldn't cause any trouble unless he's provoked, or someone sets him up to do so.... Even so I should probably give Sarah a heads up."

The wizard then took a moment to consider what he'd say within the limit of 25 words before he began to cast his sending. <Sarah, it's Nate. Message limited, guy with Doru is magic. I've been observing. Seems to be dragon, don't panic, not evil. Backup ready if needed.>

--------------------
Characters
(Incubus Inventor)

PM Email
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Sarah was rinsing her face when the message hit her, causing her to sputter and get rather more water on her shirt than she would've liked. The voice lingered in her mind, distinctly Nate's, as she dried her face and considered if she was better off replacing the shirt or just dealing with it.

'A dragon. And Nate tells me not to panic? The hell... She worked at her shirt, decided to just throw a sweater over it, and grabbed her phone as she headed downstairs. Guy could have at least called me so I could respond... damnit.

---

"Cheese? O-lives...? Oh! Those salty things! Yeah, we have those! I'll tell Cuppa to get them ready!" The little digimon walked up to the window leading into the kitchen and stuck his head in. "Cuppa, did you hear what he wanted?"

"[I'm on it]."

"Okay, thank yooou~" He pulled away from the window and turned to Salariel, who had... changed again, somehow? Man, if all dragons were like this, no wonder he'd never seen any. He wandered back to the table and sat down, staring out into the center of the district as Salariel asked his question.

"Well... it's safe! Or safer? When me and Sarah and George first came here it was empty and there were a whole lot of heartless here. But then George made the robots and more interferences started moving in and now we hardly have any heartless at all!" He tilted his head. "Although... it gets a little boring, now that there's nothing I can really fight anymore..."

"Geez, Doru... there's more to life than fighting things, you know."

Doru perked up as Sarah walked out onto the patio, carrying a tray holding a teapot and the cheese and olives. She looked at Salariel with more than a little wariness, considering that this somewhat anachronistic looking man was apparently a dragon. Nate's reassurance that it wasn't evil be damned, she still had good reason to be nervous. "Hi," she said, setting the tray down and taking a seat herself. "I'm Sarah, as Doru's probably clued you in on. You are...?"

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 02:22 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Salariel. It's a pleasure to meet you, Sarah." he replied smoothly, removing his hat and setting it on his knee and out of sight as a matter of courtesy. Offering a hand to shake, he flashed a genial smile that had only a hint of fangs.

Once the niceties were out of the way, he poured himself a cup of tea and lifted it to his lips, hesitating a moment before the scalding liquid actually made contact with his skin. A faint frown creased his features for a moment; this tea was far too hot. Well, there was an easy solution for that. Pursing his lips, he blew across the surface of the beverage gently, instantly dissipating the steam curling from the top of the cup.

When he stopped, no more steam formed; to a careful observer's eyes, there would even be a tiny rime of frost on the edge of the cup nearest his mouth.

Taking a sip of the chilled tea with every sign of enjoyment, Salariel then set the drink aside, picked up an olive and carefully started digging out the pit.

"You have a charming restaurant. I imagine that business is lucrative, this close to the town square?"

--------------------
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 03:23 AM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

Sarah smiled back automatically as she took the offered hand and shook it. There was no way for her to handle the fact that she was sweating, but what could she do? This was an actual dragon, and all the reassurance and childhood fangirlishness in the world had nothing on sheer survival instinct.

Well, if anything goes wrong, I imagine Nate'll be the first one to react... She folded her hands on the table, not taking any tea for herself. "Well, the Crossroads is really more of a cafe than a restaurant - if you're looking for anything more substantial than sweets and sandwiches, you go to the Cloud District." She shrugged. "We do get plenty of visitors nonetheless - it's a good place to meet people. And... to look for some answers, apparently."

Dorumon squeezed up next to Sarah, and she reached over to scratch him between the ears before letting out a breath. Small talk had never been her forte... better to get to the point. "So... what's brought you to our little refuge?"

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 04:11 AM
Powerful

N/A

"To business, then? Very well. I have never been to this city before, nor seen it on any map or atlas I have ever perused. In fact, I have never even heard of it; this place is entirely unfamiliar to me, and I would very much like to know where it is that I have found myself. The last thing in my memory is having a spell cast upon me by a very unpleasant man, and I suspect that he has sent me very far away from my home." Salariel explained, picking up a small knife from the tray and carving off a hunk of cheese. A deft movement of the wrist saw both the piece of cheese and the freshly pitted olive spitted upon the utensil, and he popped both into his mouth with a brief scrape of steel on teeth.

"So," he said, picking up another olive and beginning the process anew, "I have high hopes that you will be able to tell me where I am and how I might go about getting back home. I understand that you aren't a scholar, but I'll be grateful for any information you can provide, even if it's just pointing me towards someone who will be able to answer my questions."

--------------------
PM
^
Aragonius
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran

N/A

Nate continued watching. His vantage was now mostly centered on Doru. His initial scrying had been a stationary location based effect but after they'd left the alley the wizard had placed a second mobile sensor on the little dragon dog, figureing he was less likely than the dragon to shrug it off with a will save. Upon receiving Sarah's frustrated response Nate found himself sheepishly agreeing he probably should have just called. He'd embarrassingly forgotten the fact that not only did she have a phone, he even had her number.

"Ok yeah, let's see here..." Nate muttered to himself as he pulled out his phone and checked his contact list. After coming upon the café owner's number he sent out a call. From Doru's vantage he could easily see just how nervous and uneasy she was. It was an odd sight to the mage, it contrasted with the perhaps inacurate mental image he had of her as a stern authority figure... "Heh I gotta get her to calm down. If she can chew out a wizard then she can most certainly chew out a dragon if need be. Hell I can become a dragon myself. I doubt that would stop her from telling me off..."

--------------------
Characters
(Incubus Inventor)

PM Email
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

The phone buzzed in Sarah's pocket, causing her to jump and paw at it for a moment before she stopped, clicked the volume button to stop the buzzing, and let it ring. There were only a few people who would be calling her right now, and chances were it was probably Nate... but it was a bit late to be calling her now, wasn't it? He could probably see that she was already in a conversation...

She tried not to stare too much as he ate, holding back her own desire to grab one of the olives, and nodded. "Sounds about right... we're all pretty far from home here." This, at least, was familiar territory, something so practiced that even the fact that she was face to face with a dragon wasn't enough to break her cadence. "Well, as you've already heard, this is Traverse Town, and you wouldn't be able to find it on any map in your world, because... well. You stopped being on it a while ago."

It was a good thing they were on the patio, since it made this part a little easier to explain. She glanced up at the starry night sky, which twinkled with notably fewer stars than she'd seen on the day she'd first showed up here. "Every star in this sky is another world. And when people get separated from their worlds of origin... they find their way here."

"It's a refuge!" Dorumon chirped, and Sarah nodded.

"If you got sent here by a spell... then that means getting back is possible for you." She scratched her neck. "Get a ship to travel the ocean between, and then... well." She looked back up at the stars. "It won't be easy, but it's possible."

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 05:15 PM
Powerful

N/A

Staring in silence for a long moment, Salariel searched Sarah's face for a lie and was more than a little disappointed when he only found earnest truth. This was a setback of monumental proportions; any hope of returning quickly enough to try to help his city against the necromancer was dashed, as was any plan he could formulate regarding retaking the city afterwards. By the time he managed to return home, the war against the tide of undead would be over one way or the other; either the humans would have prevailed without him or the country would have fallen under the weight of the necromancer's endless hordes.

It was a daunting realization. Their future was out of his grasp. What would they do without him?

Persevere, of course- they would endure... and so should he.

Nothing for it but to carry on, then. Blinking away the fit of maudlin introspection, Salariel realized that a few minutes had slid by while he had been occupied with his thoughts, and he had apparently been picking absently at the cheese the entire time. There was little left of the wedge that had been brought out for him.

"Apologies, I drifted away for a moment there. Thank you for your assistance and hospitality, Sarah. You as well, Dorumon. I appreciate it greatly, though I have noticed that you are a bit stiff and nervous. Is there something you wish to say to me, perhaps?"

--------------------
PM
^
Tarkya
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 07:15 PM
Veteran

The sun will rise.

There was always a moment, when a person's understanding of their situation settled in. Sarah traced a finger idly across the table as Doru looked from Salariel to Sarah and began to wander off.

Salariel dropped his question, and Sarah sighed. Well, she was never that good at hiding her emotions...

"...look. We get all sorts that come through town. We've been fortunate enough that most of them have good intentions, but a place like this... sometimes it seems like it's a magnet for havoc. The past couple of weeks alone have been fairly rough, especially on us normal folk." She took an olive and squeezed it idly between her fingers before sticking it in her mouth and taking a moment to chew and swallow it. "So when I get a message from the town wizard telling me that I'm talking to a dragon? I can't help but be a little concerned."

She looked up at Salariel with a serious looking expression. "You don't seem like an immediate danger to the people living here, and I hope it stays that way. Some of these people have watched their stars go out. They don't need anything more to deal with."

--------------------
PM AIM MSN
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jul 4 2016, 08:05 AM
Powerful

N/A

"I see. You fear me because of what I am, and possibly because of what your wizard has told you." Leaning back in his chair, Salariel folded his arms and frowned. "I understand why you are afraid. To your eyes I appear as a dire threat, all wicked claws and shining fangs, a beast of terrible aspect. Even when I hide myself for your comfort, meddling mages thwart my efforts."

"Let it be known, however, that spying in secret is considered to be very rude on the world that I hail from, and I assume that it is thought of as such here as well! Cease your espionage, caster, lest I become very cross indeed!"

After delivering his warning, the dragon waited a few moments and then cast Detect Scrying, checking to see whether or not the nosy wizard had done as he asked- and if he hadn't, to find out where he was. Salariel wasn't about to tolerate being spied on, whether the spy had good intentions or ill; some things just couldn't be borne under any circumstances.

"Rest assured, Sarah; I would not harm a human without a very good reason... though it seems that your local mage is in need of a stern talking-to. Moreover, he may be able to point me back to my home, if he is any sort of wizard at all."

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D || Teen Titans GO~ || The Games

Disclaimer: using the Split Lock skin by DoubleXXCross will not give you a suit of armour.
But even if it did, you can still very much get shot in the face.