photo the_inter.png

<% NEWS %>
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

» The Wanderings of a Curious Customer [open]
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Dec 29 2016, 10:24 PM
Powerful

N/A

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 27

"I sense not a spark of magic in this device, and yet you claim that it can not only speak, play music, and tell the time, but it can also take someone's likeness in an instant? With no paint?"

An amicable-looking old man was having an animated discussion with an increasingly bemused salesman at a nearby electronics stall, the younger of the two (having sensed an impending sale) taking great pains to explain the wonders of a smartphone to his customer.

"Yes sir, I'll show you!" the salesman said, aiming the device's camera at the bearded elder and ignoring the quip about magic. "Smile, if you please."

Click!

Exclamations of amazement ensued as the salesman showed the old man a photo of his own surprised face.

"Why, wonders never cease! I'll take two!" Rooting in his pocket, the old man withdrew a weighty purse and counted out several scarred, heavy coins that shimmered enticingly in the orange light of dusk. "How much for a pair of them?"

As the coins dropped onto the tabletop one by one, producing a sound that was more thunk than clink, the salesman swallowed, attempting to summon some moisture into his suddenly dry mouth. Unless his eyes were deceiving him, this old man intended to make his purchase with a pouch filled with gold.

"W-well..."

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Dec 30 2016, 09:08 PM
Powerful

N/A

Member No.: 65

A few feet away a young woman browsed through a rack of rather boring comics run by an even more boring teenager, and with a slight smile she glanced over at the old man as he became more and more fascinated with the device he was toying with. Selina was no stranger to modern technology and actually still carried her Galaxy from before she had Interfered, so she was willing to stop by and see just what the man was up to. She sashayed over to the stall and began looking through the glass counter, a little amazed at how much tech was available in this corner of the Multiverse.

"Amazing bits of tech when you stop to think about them, aren't they?"

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Paathar Atma, a.k.a. Stoneheart
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Dec 30 2016, 10:43 PM
Powerful

N/A

"Ah yes, this... 'tech' is most certainly fascinating. What wondrous tools must the artificers here have in order to make such things?" the old man affably replied, just in time for the salesman to rally and take a deep breath. Carefully picking up five of the heavy coins, he weighed them in his palm for a moment before pocketing them, resolving to pay for the phone out of his own money and sell the coins for a hefty profit later.

"That'll do just fine, sir..." he said, quickly ringing up the purchase. Tearing off the receipt as it came out of the machine and slapping the till drawer closed in a single motion, he quickly packed the phone back into its packaging, dropped the parcel in a plastic bag and pushed it into the old man's hands.

"Do think of us the next time you want to buy some, uh, 'tech'!"

"Yes of course, of course. Well, I do hope you have a fine day, young man!" Turning away from the counter, the strange old man in his foppishly opulent suit moseyed towards the door, peering avidly into the bag as he went.

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Dec 30 2016, 11:08 PM
Powerful

N/A

Selina glanced at the coins as the clerk took the coins, and a quick guess at the current price of gold told her he was making a damn good paycheck this month. She turned and walked with the old man, trying to size him up. Something about him didn't seem like your run-of-the-mill retirement home resident.

"Definitely. I've never been, myself, but I've studied a lot of the components in there and it's beyond amazing. Beyond a lot of magic, even."

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Dec 30 2016, 11:30 PM
Powerful

N/A

"Yes, it'd take a clever mage indeed to make something so flexible, wouldn't it? Many mages can make devices that are more powerful, but this one has such an array of uses as to have most enchanters gnawing their beards to a stump out of frustration! And to think that this was made by humans, no less!" The old man sat on a roadside bench to unwrap his prize, gingerly picking apart the box and wrappings to examine later; each new thing he found inside was a fresh puzzle, some new wonder to marvel at. The smoothness of the paper, the brightness of the ink on the box, the glossy sheen of the phone itself, everything was an education in excitement.

"Ah, the gnomes would be furious if they knew they had been outstripped so in the realm of clever gadegtry. Well, I suppose that the people here must rely on such things, mustn't they? After all, I have seen no wizards nor clerics since my arrival. Magic must be scarce indeed."

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Dec 31 2016, 12:23 AM
Powerful

N/A

"I take it you're not from this world, then." Either he was seriously senile or definitely an Interference, and he didn't seem senile. Selina hadn't met any older Interferences before, but she didn't doubt that there were some unless whatever odd hand of fate that controlled these things had being twenty-something as a qualifier as well. Either way she sat down beside him and took out her own phone, idly flicking with it as she pondered his musings.

"Everything in that box is the product of decades or centuries of research and one breakthrough after another. If the development process was anything like where I'm from, what you see there was fantasy a decade ago and will be almost rustic a decade from now as shinier and better things come to the front." She smirked as she began pondering what was inside the little glass and metal box, admiring the raw talent and ingenuity that had gone into each and every component within.

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Dec 31 2016, 12:46 AM
Powerful

N/A

"In mere centuries, you say? Such profound cleverness..." The old man fiddled with the inert phone for a moment, then picked up the packaging and gave it a moment's glance before rooting around in the neatly separated array of detritus that had moments ago been a box. Upon discovering the instruction manual, he flicked it open with a dexterity that was surprising for his apparent years and began flicking through the booklet's pages, appearing to merely skim the contents as they flashed by.

"Hrm... Well, I suppose introductions are quite overdue at this point. You may call me Sal, if it pleases you to do so. By what name are you known, lass?"

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Dec 31 2016, 12:58 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Selina. It's a pleasure to meet you, Sal." She wasn't particularly surprised when he started going through the instructions, although the speed at which he did so was intriguing. Another little oddity to add to her growing list of things about him.

"So... I'm getting the impression you're not from around here. Am I right?"

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Dec 31 2016, 01:11 AM
Powerful

N/A

"I am a... traveler, of sorts. I lost my homeland, or perhaps it was snatched away from me; in any case, I find myself wandering through strange lands and seeing unfamiliar sights. It's all very exciting, though I am coming to learn that the humans of my home are quite complacent compared to the industrious peoples I have seen during my travels, brief as they have been. It's all quite startling, actually." Sal replied, tucking the book into his pocket after the language therein changed from common to some outlandish tongue that he had no hope of being able to decipher off-the-cuff. He plucked the phone from its resting place on his knee and then, after a moment's examination, held down the power button for a few seconds. The screen lit up with a pleasing jingle and displayed the manufacturer's seal and the old man smiled in satisfaction, admiring the soft glow.

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 07:16 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Yeah, humans are pretty awesome. Might be a little biased myself, though." Selina leaned over to watch him fiddle with the device, debating on whether to ask him the question that was hanging pretty hard overhead. It seemed like he was fairly open about it, but then again he was also being cagey about his origin. Could be good or bad to ask, but at this particular moment she had nothing to lose besides a bit of her afternoon.

"So am I right in guessing you're not actually human, then, and this is just a little glamor?"

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 08:14 AM
Powerful

N/A

"More substantial than mere illusion. It's a proper shapeshift, you know; I could hardly call myself a dragon if I was only able to hide behind cheap parlor tricks!" Sal chuckled, browsing through the various applications and cooing appreciatively when he found something particularly interesting. Having stumbled upon the camera app, he fiddled with it for a moment, enjoying the pixellated view through the phone's mechanical eye.

"Of course, I haven't gone to particularly great lengths to hide what I am. I just assume human form whilst I'm in town to keep the flighty women and the particularly eager warriors calm; having a ruckus raised every time I drop by for a steak dinner or to browse the market is quite a chore, as you might imagine."

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 08:36 AM
Powerful

N/A

Dragon. Right, fair enough. Not the worst thing Selina had ever heard of, not by a long shot. Of course, she hadn't run into one before besides Dovi, so she was going to have to tread carefully to not accidentally insult his sire or anything. Did dragons care about that? Shit, she really needed to do her homework...

"Fair enough, I suppose. I can't imagine getting stabbed is any nicer for you than for anyone. I mean, I probably wouldn't enjoy it."

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 08:45 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Ah, most can't so much as scratch my scales with their swords and arrows. What bothers me about the whole ordeal is the fear I accidentally instill in the people of whatever village I happen to be in, although... if this device is any indication, the people of this world might have weapons that would be dangerous even to me. Of course, caution is ever the watchword, and if I'm not mistaken I am not the only stranger to this plane." Salariel said, tapping the lock button on his new phone and putting it back into its packaging, then dropping the box into the sack he had gotten from the vendor.

"Is it not so that you are also a wanderer in search of home? Or perhaps 'tis not home you seek, but fortune and glory, perchance? For I may be wrong, but to all else I have spoken to here, magic has been a subject of mystery that garners only surprise and bemusement when referenced, and yet you take it in stride, as though it were a truth of life like any other. So, are you an actress of no small talent to keep your surprise in check, or are you a castaway as I am?" Turning to face Selina directly for the first time, Salariel examined her face closely, the silver sheen of his irises suddenly apparent as they caught the light of the setting sun.

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 08:52 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Castaway... Good word for it. I used to live in a world like this one, with a few differences, but that all went downhill pretty hard. Then I found a new home in a world of magic and wonder, but then that was lost too. Now I don't have a teacher, a home, or a path to follow and I'm just floating along wherever the strings of fate pull me." She sighed wistfully and glanced over at him, smiling a little as she saw the light play through his eyes.

"Just a pair of wanderers in a strange world, you and I."

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 09:01 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Strange indeed, filled with strange people and their strange works. I look forward to seeing this strangeness in all its wonder though, for what could be more wondrous than seeing a world so alien and yet so familiar as this? Relish every moment of the journey, lass, for until you find the home you seek you have naught else to revel in." Salariel said kindly, and then he stood and stretched.

"And speaking of the journey, I have tarried here too long. The road winds ever onward, and before it stretches on too much further I must find a meal and a place to lay my head for the night! Do you know of any inns or alehouses that would have room for a weary old man hereabouts?"

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 09:07 AM
Powerful

N/A

"To be clear, I'm not looking to settle permanently no matter what. My story's nowhere near done." She stood up and stretched, looking around at the market square as the merchants packed up and trying to get her bearings.

"Well, there's some good food around here, this is where most of the tourists come... Can't think of any boarding houses or hotels nearby, though. To be fair, I don't actually live here, so we might be better off just wandering a bit."

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 09:18 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Wandering, eh? I may have a better idea than that, I'd wager. Tell me, do you like fish?" Salariel asked, the tang of salt in the air and the distant cry of seagulls giving him a clue as to where they might find something to eat and somewhere to stay. This town met the sea somewhere nearby, and in such a town there would surely be places- expensive places, no doubt- that would stake anything for a lot of oceanfront property from which to sell their wares. The shore is where they would find their quarry, he was certain of it.

And so, with a confident stride, Salariel set off towards the ocean, following his nose more than anything as he made his way through the sleepy city by the sea.

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 09:38 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Fish actually sounds great right now. Lead on!" Selina followed Salariel as she glanced down to check her purse. She wasn't hurting for money by any means, but she was going to have to think about going out on another supply run at some point in the not-too-distant future. She couldn't keep living out like this all the time on her current budget.

"Where are we heading, then? You know a place?"

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
Wahnsinniger
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 09:51 AM
Powerful

N/A

"No, this city is a complete mystery to me, but I can smell the sea somewhere nearby. In a city this large next to the sea, there will surely be a seafront restaurant that takes pride in the preparation of the ocean's bounty." Salariel explained as they strolled along, passing a sign that read 'Market Street' on one side and 'Station Heights' on the other.

"If we don't find a well-cooked filet dinner and a decanter of wine for sale there, call me thrice a dunce and a rock-lizard besides, for I will have lost all understanding of humankind."

--------------------
PM
^
Icefox
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 09:55 AM
Powerful

N/A

"Dunce and rock-lizard, noted." Selina chuckled and walked alongside him for a long quiet moment, idly pondering all the things that had happened so far this afternoon.

"So, why'd you leave? You said your homeland was taken from you, I mean. What happened, if you don't mind me asking?" She was a little awkward with her words, but she honestly did want to know just what had gone down between him and his old world. After all, he seemed like a far more powerful being than she had initially anticipated, and benevolent. She wasn't sure what could've forced him off-world and into the Multiverse all on his own.

--------------------
Captain Natalie Prisma
Dutchess "Dovi" Prisma
Selina Williams
Jane Doe
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
RPG-D || Teen Titans GO~ || The Games

Disclaimer: using the Split Lock skin by DoubleXXCross will not give you a suit of armour.
But even if it did, you can still very much get shot in the face.